Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Orlando in August
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:04 am
We are planning a trip there in the summer iyh. Will it be crazy hot? Where can I find good deals for the parks there? Which is better- hotel or villa? I
Need a shuttle to and from the park. Please give me all the tips and info you can think of. Thanks!!!

studying_torah

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:18 am
I would not go; the heat and humidity is unbearable and since you're not near the water, there's no ocean breeze to "cool" things off

mommee

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:33 am
The crowds are smaller in August (much smaller towards the end, minorly smaller in the beginning) so the parks will be less crowded than July.

Hotels/villas have different pros and cons. Hotels will often times provide transportation to the parks. I don't know that you'll get that from a villa. A villa will have a private pool so you don't run in to swimming issues with your family...

Amarante

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:59 am
So hot and humid. The worst time to visit theme parks with kids. Disneyland in the summer is bad enough but at least it's not humid like Florida.

mazal555

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:19 pm
Just buy trip insurance. It is hurricane season. Otherwise, I don't find it worse than NYC in the summer.

ven

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:32 pm
I visited florida in august during a severe heath wave ! ( 4 weeks) although hot it was do- able and theres airco all over. we did not have other options as to go in august, but it was still a dream vacation ..

ven

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:33 pm
Amarante wrote:
So hot and humid. The worst time to visit theme parks with kids. Disneyland in the summer is bad enough but at least it's not humid like Florida.
ehm orlando = florida

Amarante

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:41 pm
ven wrote:
ehm orlando = florida

I know it's in Florida. I was comparing it to Disneyland in Southern California which I have done in the summer with kids. It's very hot but because I is not humid, it is bearable especially if you are not sitting in the sun. Also, it cools down a lot after the sun goes down unlike the Florida weather so in had a system of doing the park early and then taking a break in the afternoon when it was hottest and then going back later when it was cooler and the kids also had rested and had a break.

But I am coming from a place that finds heat terrible and muggy hot weather unendurable.

amother
Green

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:35 pm
Thank you for your responses. I really want to take my kids and August is the only time I can go. I hope I won't regret it. What can you tell me about the parks-discounts or ways to make it less hectic in the park itself. What about tickets, hotels...anything....

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:26 am
Rent a house with a pool and go to the park in the morning hours and evening hours. Kids can't handle all day Disney anyway. Paradise overload! Mid day is for siesta and dip in the pool. I think it is cheaper in the long run and more comfortable to rent a house. There are tons of rentals. You will have to rent a car also. But then you can drive to the grocery store and stock up which is cheaper than caterer. Also, you can get those water bottle/fans which cool the kids off very nicely when waiting in lines.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:44 am
What if I don't have a car? I am going without dh and it renting one won't be an option really. Is there transportation to the park during the day and back?

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:49 am
amother wrote:
What if I don't have a car? I am going without dh and it renting one won't be an option really. Is there transportation to the park during the day and back?

As stated before , many of the area hotels have shuttles to/from the parks. Convenient that you don't need a car but then you need to work on their schedule. Something to look into and consider.
How old are your children?

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:53 am
They are ages 1-3 plus my three teenage nieces.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:54 am
Oops, I meant ages 1-8.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
They are ages 1-3 plus my three teenage nieces.

Are you the only adult? Wow!

JMM-uc

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:02 pm
We went and took a house. It was cheaper that way (we were eight people) plus we got our own pool and jacuzzi.

It was boiling hot!!!! And I mean boling!

We got day passes (if I'm remembering correctly) so it was for the whole day.

We rented a car...

It was tons of fun! We stayed there for a week.

amother
Green

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:22 pm
How do I get day passes?

UQT

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:28 pm
Chabad Orlando or the Orlando day school sells the cheapest tickets. If you are by yourself stay in a Disney hotel. The provide bus service from the airport and then free shuttles to the park everyday. We stayed in the art of animation and it fit 6 of us perfectly. You will be more limited with heading out to kosher restaurants but you can get delivery to the parks or hotels. Been there 3 times in the past few years. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:39 pm
There are various ways to pay for admission to the Disney Parks. If you are planning to go for more than one day, then it is generally cheaper to buy passes which let you go in and out for the number of days purchased.

As you probably know there are other parks run by Disney which may or may not be of interest to you and the children.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you can afford it, book a hotel close to the park - preferably a Disney hotel which has fast and easy transportation to and from the park. That way, you can get to the park early in the morning - leave during the hottest part of the day and have you and the children either nap or relax by the pool and then go back to the park later when it is cooler.

Often you can get early admission to the park when you book for several days and/or book a stay at one of the Disney resorts. I am less familiar with Disney World as I live in Southern California but I believe there are a lot of options for accommodations run by Disney. My cousin said he stayed there with his brood at a place that had kitchen facilities although he said if he did it again, he would pay extra to stay closer to the actual parks.

There is a LOT of information on websites like Disney insider which would help you plan your trip most strategically. There is a real strategy to maximizing your visit and if you have never been, the "insider tips" are lifesavers. Most of them have forums in which you can ask more specific information.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/

https://www.google.com/search?.....UTF-8

Are you going to be the only adult supervising all the children because the teenage nieces are going to probably have completely different desires in terms of what they want to see and do. In my experience, children don't begin to appreciate Disney and other theme parks until they are about 4 or 5. My brother was fanatical about bringing his daughter to Disney when she was very young and it really was more about him than her as she was a bit scared by the "characters" dressed up since at that age they can't separate fantasy from reality and so the characters were "real" to her and a bit overwhelming and of course she had NO desire to ride Space Mountain :-) Even the Dumbo ride was a bit scary to her when she was that young.

ETA - There is Kosher food available at the park but you need to verify with the Park to order it. It's pretty terrible and expensive but at least it's an option.

Also, there are strollers provided by Disney and it makes no sense to use your own stroller because when you line up for the rides, you need to leave the stroller so it's much better to leave a Disney stroller unattended.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 10:41 am
We are also going in August for 2 weeks iy"h.
Yes it is very hot in the summer, we were there about 6years ago
in the summer. We don't have any choice but to go in the summer.
We went to Disney in the morning then went back home
for lunch and a swim and then returned to the park.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics