Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to keep a 1 year old busy
1  2  Next

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:29 pm
Here is what we do already:
Half an hour every day- go for a walk outside
2 naps daily, approx half hour to an hour each
About an hour of playtime in his play fence (not in a consecutive stretch)
About 20 minutes in his high hair, giving him different solids to try (he still doesn't like solids, mainly nurses)
About 30 minutes of playtime outside of the play fence, when he can crawl and climb around the room, and I watch him

Any other ideas how to keep him busy?

Liebs

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:37 pm
baby crayons
blow bubbles and he catches them
little slide (holding his hand)
little tikes baby swing
baby toys like sorters/music instruments
box of tissues to empty!!
pots, pans and metal spoons
pile of plastic cups (save them)

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:44 pm
Sounds like he needs more time to crawl free. 30 minutes is not a lot.

Give him a toy box with only a few interesting things in it (even better if they are not actual toys, but other things that are safe for him to play). Line up sturdy chairs that he can cruise against. Teach him to dance, clap to music. Do walking practice (they used to think this was badd for a baby but now have discovered it's totally fine as long as you are not forcing them to do something they can't).

Sit him in the highchair with a plate full of cooked peas (mash them very slightly if they are round and hard so he can't choke). It will take him hours to pick them all up.

As far as solids are going, are you giving him purees or finger foods? I found that my baby enjoys the foods we eat - with flavors, spices. He isn't so keen on mashed vegetables. And if you taste them, you might know why.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:50 pm
Could you be over-thinking? Just do your life, and have him where you can see him, as you do it. Inform him what you are doing and show him things.

You may be afraid of dirt. Reasonable dirt, not total awful, is fine.

You may be afraid he will eat something he finds, or get in trouble, but he won't if you are looking right at him.

It will help his language development if he hears and sees you talking to OTHER people.

He needs to be in the wild of your house, not always in the play fence. Just follow him, watching, but let him explore. You don't want him expecting the world to be boring and safe because it isn't. You don't want him upset to find out that it isn't. Let him get used to that now.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:12 pm
I give him finger food. He gets sick of it after a few min and gets a mischievous gleam in his eyes and throws it all on the floor

Just gave him a pot and spoon- amazing, he is enthralled!!
Baby music instruments sound like a great idea , where is a good place to buy these?

The reason I don't let him crawl free all day is cuz then I need to literally be on top of him tk make sure he doesn't do anything dangerous.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:27 pm
amother wrote:
I give him finger food. He gets sick of it after a few min and gets a mischievous gleam in his eyes and throws it all on the floor

Just gave him a pot and spoon- amazing, he is enthralled!!
Baby music instruments sound like a great idea , where is a good place to buy these?

The reason I don't let him crawl free all day is cuz then I need to literally be on top of him tk make sure he doesn't do anything dangerous.

Can you baby proof the house so he can't get into trouble?

Liebs

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:29 pm
Is this your first?
Make sure no dangerous things on floor. Go on your hands and knees and look around to see if you see anything. Then he is pretty ok. You don't have to watch him like a hawk. You can fold laundry and sing to him/talk to him what you are folding. Also the gerber finger foods are great snacks that they enjoy eating, or cheerios.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:40 pm
Yes it is my first.
I baby proofed his room, but he is not happy to stay in his room- he wants to crawl all over our small apartment, and I can't really baby proof the entire apartment- it's too small for me to relocate certain items.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:09 pm
If anything apartments are easier to baby proof than houses. It's not that hard just lock cabinets with cleaning supplies knives, close bathroom doors and toilets...

Do you read to your dc? Get lots of board books, you can read snd dc can flip through them on his own. Music and movement cds. Is there a park near you? Can a little car and a walker toy. That's just for starters.

sbil

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:30 pm
A one year old can keep himself busy, give him room to explore and he will be fine. Give him old newspapers/ magazines to rip. Give him space... let him go in the kitchen and pull out pots climb into cabinets bang spoons. You could also leave him on the floor and put gates in places that you don't want him to go so you won't have to constantly watch him.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:58 pm
Ok wow.
My one year old:
Naps twice a day, about an hour and half EACH. Sleeps around 13 hours a night.

At least 30 min walk outside. Sometimes I take her to the park - she loves the slides and swings and the sand ! ( yes theres sand at our park!).
I let her roam around the house though she usually stays around the living room/ kitchen. I made sure the bottom cabinets are baby proofed and she loves taking things out. It literally takes 10 min to put it all back at night ( though I might do it right away). This keeps her busy plenty. I throw toys on the carpet and she likes putting manchies in cars and hug her dolls.
Pots and pans are usually a hit at this age. My baby doesn't like it so much though. My other kids did.

Anyway then it's bath time which takes a while bc she plays with her toys in the bath ( and tries to drink the water...).

Does your baby stand yet ? Walk? You can help him learn if he doesn't ... The more independence he has the more busy he will keep himself IMO.

And I second the books suggestion- especially fun books with things popping out or something.

You can also show him short movies . I don't do it much but it's always an option. I think you need to buy some more toys, give him pots andoans and stuff that you have at home to play with and just let him have more space. I also live in a small apartment but it's not fair for the kid to not baby proof the house - he needs space !

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:02 pm
Op here. Thanks all for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that he puts everything (except real food!) into his mouth, so that means magazines, tissues, plastic cups and water bottles etc need to stay FAR away from him, or he will eat huge chunks of those things.
To the amother whose 1 year old sleeps an hr and half 2x plus 13 hours- count your blessings, you have no idea how lucky you are!
My baby won't even nap in a crib or stroller as of late- he only wants to nap on my bed (which means I have to hover around him the whole time, lest he fall off, which has happened before).

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:33 pm
OP it sounds pretty normal and standard. In time he will make more sense. Just enjoy. He likes the smells on your bed. Put something that smells like you in his crib and it might help.

Don't read "mischievous look" into his expressions. If you are giving him enough food to throw around, you are giving him more food than he needs to eat.

Yes, a lot of dropping goes on; it is the child's lesson in how gravity works. When he comes to trust that gravity always works that way, and nothing ever falls sideways or up, he will stop.

Enjoy. Soon enough you will wish he would call more.

You have a vigorous male. Take him to the park.

And yes, the magazines and all have to go on high shelves now.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:47 pm
amother wrote:
Op here. Thanks all for your suggestions. I forgot to mention that he puts everything (except real food!) into his mouth, so that means magazines, tissues, plastic cups and water bottles etc need to stay FAR away from him, or he will eat huge chunks of those things.
To the amother whose 1 year old sleeps an hr and half 2x plus 13 hours- count your blessings, you have no idea how lucky you are!
My baby won't even nap in a crib or stroller as of late- he only wants to nap on my bed (which means I have to hover around him the whole time, lest he fall off, which has happened before).

Well my baby does wake up every two hours at night so I'm not sure what's better 😀
In any case - I'm pretty sure babies this age need more sleep than yours is getting. I think it might be worth it for you to train your baby to sleep in his crib or stroller and fall asleep by himself. It isn't easy but it's possible ! I'm pretty sure it will make both you and him happier!
And btw mine does out evening in her mouth as well- typical for this age. That's why it's so important to keep the house baby proofed. I agree with you about tissues not being an option to play with.

pickle321

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 4:50 pm
I agree with orange amother. It sounds like your baby isn't sleeping enough during the day. Try to extend his naps. Also agree with those that said you have to let him free more, I also have a 1 yr old. Also my first. And she is never gated in. Sometimes I'll close the door to a room if I don't want her going in but that's it. Just keep the bathroom door closed and let him explore. You need to baby proof your apartment. Put anything dangerous away or high up. I also have a tiny apartment and I think it's easier to baby proof than a big house. Definitely experiment more with the food. What exactly are you giving him now?

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 4:52 pm
Yes.

I am not mad for children being in either kitchen or bathroom unless there is a specific need to be there, for a good reason. Not otherwise.

curlyhead

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:06 pm
babys that age love playing with older kids - maybe invite some of the neighbors kids or if you have family get them to come over and play with baby. My one year old is happiest when his oldest siblings are home. Otherwise he like to color with crayons, play with cars and garage. Best in emptying packages - found a box of tuna and was emptying it and filling it, playing with pots and pans, toy keyboard also fun Baby sleeps lunchtime and then loves going out in the afternoons - such as grocery shopping or to the park. Maybe find some mommy and me in the area

amother
Plum

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:29 pm
My baby is that age and he wont stay fenced on for a minute. He has free roam of the apartment. He is not my first so all my lower kitchen drawers are baby proofed. My lower bookshelves are packed tight so he cant pull out the sefarim.
He loves ...
putting things in and taking things out of any container.
swings at the park.
water play (small amounts of course)
board and squishy books
menchies
Fisher price toy table
Crawling under the dining room table.
motion songs (itsy bitsy spider/wheels on the bus etc)

Yes I do need to sit with him on the floor to engage him and I do have him sit on my lap and we play motion songs but he definately loves to explore.

Please train him to sleep in his crib. He will cry in beginning but stay with him and reassure him. He will be ok.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:39 pm
What are menchies?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:33 am
dancingqueen wrote:
What are menchies?

Menchies r little people. Totty, mommy,baby, girls, boys....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics