Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you use a timer for your hot plate?
1  2  Next

myself

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:47 pm
If you use a timer for your hot plate - where do you keep your food for Shabbos day?

You can't leave it on the hot plate as the food can go bad when the hot plate is off.
You can't put the food on the hot plate once it's on.

So do you keep it in the fridge and make sure to put in on the hot plate before it turns on?
But then are you always up early enough? I imagine food from the fridge takes pretty long to warm up? Is that even allowed?

Raisin

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:50 pm
Since the sasoon fire, I put my cholent in a slow cooker. I don't rewarm food for shabbos lunch, we only rewarm completely dry food like bread.

so we have fish, salads, cold meat, and cholent.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:57 pm
My hotplate is on timer. The food stays in the fridge.
On Shabbat morning, the food gets placed on plata while it is on off, then the timer comes on
after a few hours.

If I'm doing cholent, I use a crockpot and not a hotplate.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 12:58 pm
Why can't you put it on the hotplate once it's on?

Cookie Monster

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:08 pm
We use a hot plate for Friday night, it goes off with a timer after the meal. We do the cholent in a croc pot.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:13 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Why can't you put it on the hotplate once it's on?

Hey, whoever gave me that "hug," don't just "hug" me- explain to me what the problem is.

Sanguine

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:25 pm
My hotplate turns on at 10:00. we eat around 12:00. I put my food on before I go to shul which is before 10:00 (shul is over at 10:30). My cholent (If I make cholent) is in a crockpot which also has a timer when the days are hot and long which goes off after lunch but turns on again (empty) at what was candle lighting time Friday night since that's when it starts on Friday night unless I remember to extend the off time once it's off before it goes on again. If I make cholent I also need the platta anyway. We're not Chassidish or Yeshivish or whatever you all are who talk about cholent so much - cholent isn't a "must" for shabbat lunch and it's never the only hot food. I don't warm liquid or sauce or other wet for lunch on Shabbat. I warm Shnitzel, rice, kugel, meatloaf... Whatever it is, it goes on before the platta goes on.

Anymore questions?

Sanguine

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:30 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Hey, whoever gave me that "hug," don't just "hug" me- explain to me what the problem is.
From what I understand, if your food is a drop wet, then it's OK if you put it on before the platta turns on. I don't intentionally put on wet but this way I figure I'm covered if there's a drop of something. This is only something new for me cause growing up in America my mother left a gas with a blech all shabbat so there was no off time. I only heard about this recently and since I use a plata with a timer anyway, it's just as easy to put the food on before.

Also, I don't put directly on the plata. My SIL puts a inverted pan in between but I just take the rack out of the oven and puts it on the plata.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 1:43 pm
myself wrote:
If you use a timer for your hot plate - where do you keep your food for Shabbos day?

You can't leave it on the hot plate as the food can go bad when the hot plate is off.

So do you keep it in the fridge and make sure to put in on the hot plate before it turns on?
But then are you always up early enough? I imagine food from the fridge takes pretty long to warm up? Is that even allowed?
Why not? I have never heard of that and put many things on the plata once it is on.
I learned that once shabbat starts you cant put anything with gravy on the plata anyway, so it does not matter if the plata is on or off.
Our plata goes on at 10:00. I put the food on it before I go to shul. It goes off at 12:30. Sometimes when we come home, I may remember something. I just put it on then.
And why would you think you cant put food from the fridge onto the plata? How else would everyone who uses a timed hot plate do it? That is the only way.
Even my mother who growing up used a blech and the top of the urn, would put all of the food away after friday night, except her chulent (we dont eat chulent) and take it out again and put it on the urn in the morning. No problem with that.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 2:59 pm
myself wrote:

A plata has a different halachic status than a regular blech. Non liquid items can be put up to warm. But I myself use the crock for cholent and the plata for Friday night. Yom Tov I use it night and day.

mille

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 3:33 pm
There are definitely differing opinions about putting food on a plata during Shabbos day. So the food is in the fridge until it goes on the plata. No big deal.

abaker

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 7:59 pm
I'd love to use a timer for hot plate but can someone tell me sources for being allowed to set the timer to go off Friday night and back on shabbos day/put food on it? I will ask our LOR, but my husbands chavrusa says you can't use the timer to turn it back on. (Only use it to shut off) but I get so worried leaving it on all shabbos I think it's worth asking someone who will say it's ok to set the timer to go back on. It's a safety concern to leave on especially if we go to the park or shul or wherever and leave the house.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:41 pm
Do you not use a timer for lights in your home on Shabbat? I don't understand why this would be different.

imaima

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 10:16 pm
Our plata is on all night long but it goes off after shabbes lunch, staying off for several hours till the time for candle lighting comes again.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 12:26 am
We use a Blech.

myself

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:42 am
I'll be honest, I use a blech and asked out of curiosity.

I never knew the halachic status of a hot plate was different than a blech. My parents use to use a blech but when they changed to a hot plate they continued to use it exactly as they would a blech.

shabbatiscoming, I know that putting things on a urn is perfectly fine. So are you saying that a hot plate has the same status as the top of a pot on the flame?

Another question: Those of you that have the hot plate turn off at night and use the crockpot for the daytime - what do you do on Yom Tov? What are your plans for Shavuos, especially when it's three days?

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:47 am
myself wrote:
shabbatiscoming, I know that putting things on a urn is perfectly fine. So are you saying that a hot plate has the same status as the top of a pot on the flame?

Another question: Those of you that have the hot plate turn off at night and use the crockpot for the daytime - what do you do on Yom Tov? What are your plans for Shavuos, especially when it's three days?
I would assume its the same status. I mean, you are not putting anything directly on the flame, you are putting it on something that is on something that is on the flame (twice removed from the flame)
As for what to do for a three day yom tov (shavuot will be that this year in Israel too) we ONLY use a plata, nothing else. And we manage just fine. No crock pot. Never had one and dont plan to get one.

water_bear88

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:13 am
For Shabbat, we sometimes use a timer (especially now that the weather's getting warm). If we make chulent in the winter, the plata stays on all of Shabbos.

We have a small electric burner we leave on a timer for Shavuot so we have the option of fresh hot food in the afternoon.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:19 am
Use of timer on hotplate is also recommended according to the kashrut guide (in the preface) of London Beth Din. As I understand, there is a different concept between actively turning on something vs plata being turned on without one's involvement

Being Sephardi, we also follow Rabbi Mansour's psak on this (we recently found out about liquid). Though we hold that the food is considered liquid only if the majority/significant part of the food is liquid (so chicken that has a bit of congealed juice on the bottom is not considered liquid by us).
http://www.dailyhalacha.com/di.....=2798

tichellady, as I understand there is a difference between using a timer on lights vs plata, as there is no restriction on using lights whereas the latter can potentially involve the issue of cooking over Shabbat.

Sanguine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:07 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
As for what to do for a three day yom tov (shavuot will be that this year in Israel too)
Relax - It's only 2 days here (you probably knew that but I don't want you to mislead chutzniks Wink ). We only get 3 days if RH is attached to Shabbat. And then they get tripleheaders for Sukkot and Simchat Torah too.

For two days you can just use your Plata on the timer as usual (though I realized that you should set the timer earlier so that you're actually starting with a heated up Plata - especially on an Erev tavshillin Friday/Shabbat) For Chag I have a Chagaz http://www.zomet.org.il/eng/?C.....D=112 which lets you light a gas on Chag from a Yartzheit candle and then the gas is cut off which extinguishes the fire. It's an amazing invention for Chag. Really lets you take advantage of the fact that you can cook on chag.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note