Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Grooveshark was removed from internet???

fbc

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 8:52 pm
Anyone here familiar with grooveshark where u could listen to music? They just took it down a few days ago!! I want my music!!!! Anyone know of a diff site where I can perhaps download, or at least listen to, the Jewish singers (shwekey, simcha leiner, gabay, Levine, Benny Friedman, and the like)????

trixx

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:04 pm
Ik, worst day of my life :/ lol it was super convenient. Spotify is similar but you pay some. Or Google music on Android phone

cbsp

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:12 pm
We use jstream , usually tuning into Lakewood's 107.9 (New York Jewish music) station but there are others.

mha3484

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:16 pm
iTunes Radio is also good.

fbc

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:35 pm
K thanks, I'll try em out!

Bitachon101

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:07 pm
Jewish music stream - google it

good wifey

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:31 pm
Why was it removed?

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:44 pm
http://www.theverge.com/2015/5.....-site

Grooveshark has come back online — but not officially or in exactly the same form. What's being called a clone of Grooveshark is now being hosted at Grooveshark.io (the original site was a .com), allowing visitors to keep streaming, downloading, and searching for music files, including the many, many copyrighted files that got the original site in trouble.

The cloned site's creator, who goes under the pseudonym Shark, claims to have started backing up Grooveshark after suspecting that it was about to go offline. Shark claims to have backed up 90 percent of Grooveshark's content and to have also assembled a team dedicated to bringing all of Grooveshark's features, including playlists and favorites, back online. "I was connected to Grooveshark a few years back and I have, together with the team I've gathered, the knowledge and the technological abilities to bring it back to life," Shark writes in an email to The Verge.

It sounds challenging, to say the least, to scrape 90 percent of Grooveshark's content, but there may be another explanation for how Grooveshark.io came about so quickly. The site appears to be a rebranding of mp3juices.se, another music piracy site. That makes these claims seem less likely to be accurate, suggesting that Shark may instead be using the Grooveshark name to bring attention to mp3juices.

"IT’S GOING TO BE A ROLLER COASTER, AND WE’RE READY FOR IT."

The original Grooveshark was (in)famous for being an easy way to find and stream copyrighted music for free. Because those files were uploaded by users, Grooveshark was able to live for years behind the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which somewhat shielded it from copyright issues so long as it promptly removed problematic files at a copyright holder's request. While those removals had occurred, it was still fairly easy to locate copyrighted songs on the site. Grooveshark was in court over the issue for some time and finally shut down last week after settling with labels. Though that means there's no final ruling on Grooveshark's legality, it's a clear win for the labels. "We failed to secure licenses from rights holders for the vast amount of music on the service. That was wrong. We apologize. Without reservation," Grooveshark wrote in a note announcing its closure.

That means Grooveshark.io is on pretty shaky ground, though its creators seem to be well aware of that. Shark tells BGR, "It’s going to be a roller coaster, and we’re ready for it." At the same time, Grooveshark.io is still feigning an interest in playing by the rules. The site has a lengthy disclaimer about how its files aren't added manually, which goes on to say that you shouldn't download anything copyrighted because that'd be illegal. It writes, "Please respect these terms and conditions and support the artists!"

Grooveshark.io doesn't appear to allow visitors to upload their music, unlike the original site. Instead, it claims to be a music search engine that crawls the web for music hosted elsewhere, which could distance it from legal troubles. Of course, that's only true if the claim is true. Grooveshark.io says that all of its content is hosted on third-party servers and that it'll even display where the music was indexed from. In our brief testing, however, that turned out to be false. It took a matter of seconds to find a copyrighted song hosted under the site's domain. Maybe Grooveshark.io doesn't own the actual servers, but that's not exactly what "third party" means.

Already, Grooveshark.io was briefly brought down today amid a flurry of attention. Shark tells The Verge that the site's hosting company closed its server; it's now up and running again, apparently hosted elsewhere. "I have huge and unexpected plans for Grooveshark," Shark writes, "and I promise you this is not even close to being its end."

Update May 6th, 8:35AM ET: This story has been updated to note that Grooveshark.io appears to be a rebranding of mp3juices.se. The article's former headline, "Grooveshark has been cloned and its music is back online," has also been corrected to reflect the new information.

June

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:00 am
Quote:
The original Grooveshark was (in)famous for being an easy way to find and stream copyrighted music for free.

I never liked the idea of using grooveshark because it seemed like stealing, and now I see it is.

if you want to listen to jewish music, support it by buying the albums. you can usually buy a download for cheap from mostly music (they also have sales often), or specific songs from iTunes or Amazon. Using a website that basically pirates copyrighted music just doesn't sound ok, even if someone else is doing the actual pirating.

Happydance

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:07 am
I really really miss it as well. I loved that there were random songs on there that I would never have bought, that I could listen to when cleaning etc. I always need some upbeat music, and there were so many songs to choose from and create a great playlist. Having CDs is just not the same. I never got bored, as there were always new ones to go to. I hope something similar will start up soon. I am happy to pay- it was just very different than listening to a radio station streaming music, since you had control of what to listen to Sad

Mama Bear

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:45 am
There are more than a dozen JEwish music streaming sites. JewishBroadcast, #1Jewishhits, JewishMusicStream, NachumSegal, to name a few.

Happydance

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:08 pm
thanx for the info- any of those sites have a way for you to choose your own playlist? or at least select a type of music (fast/slow/acapella)?

Amarante

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:29 pm
What about Pandora. You build your own radio station by selecting artists and songs you like and then the station plays similar based on their formulas. Basic is free but if you subscribe, you get more functionality.

Happydance

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:46 pm
doesnt work in israel Sad
thanx for the suggestion though
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics