Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Saving shmurah matza for next year?

ohsleepy1

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 8:13 pm
I have a lot of shmurah matza leftover from Pesach. Has anyone saved it for the following year? I wonder what will happen if I save it? It's already stale when we eat it the first Pesach Smile It's just so expensive, I'd prefer to use it again next year than nosh it or give it away. It is several hundred dollars worth. TIA.

causemommysaid

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 8:16 pm
We used sealed boxes of machine matzoh a year later and it tasted fine. I don't think it would work for the hand matzoh though

momx6

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 8:17 pm
Sure you can save it. Just put each box in a bag. Next year before using it just place the matzah in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. It will be fresh and crispy.

We do this before each meal on pesach. (except on shabbos chol hamoed).

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:05 pm
You will have to be quite sure it has no bugs, and it might.

Consider: you supported the men who make it. A good thing.

miri15

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 9:19 pm
You can sell them (many people use Shmurah Matzah all year because they have intolerance to yeast). Either way there is a Chassidishe Kapeida not to use Matzah from the year before (but ask your LOR for his opinion).

June

Post Sun, May 10 2015, 11:53 pm
My parents do it almost every year. The matzah is fine, just put it in the oven for a bit. My mom also uses leftover matzah to make matzah meal in the food processor, and then she double wraps it and puts it in the freezer for the next year.

srbmom

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:41 am
Quote:
Sure you can save it. Just put each box in a bag. Next year before using it just place the matzah in the oven on a cookie sheet for about 20 minutes. It will be fresh and crispy.

We've been doing this is my house for years. We love challenging ourselves to try and figure out which was last years matzah and which was the "fresh" matzah. No one can ever tell
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics