Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
If you own a home...
1  2  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:20 am
How many years after you got married were you able to buy your home?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:21 am
We bought around 18 months after we got married, B"H, but we didn't move in until we'd been married almost 2 years (bought on paper).

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:23 am
We bought out first property when married for 7 years, but we rent it out, we don't live there.

Kumphort

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:47 am
About 2 years after marriage. But we weren't soo young when we got married has $$$ saved up from working before. Also a huge factor in this poll will be how much a house costs.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:50 am
Kumphort wrote:
About 2 years after marriage. But we weren't soo young when we got married has $$$ saved up from working before. Also a huge factor in this poll will be how much a house costs.
no poll. just curious. Also another factor is if there is/was anything for sale in your community/area.
I am just wondering how long after, not really based on anything.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:00 am
We bought at five years, on paper. We moved in 2 months ago.
We could have bought when we got married, but we weren't happy with what was available. Now, after 4 rentals, I know what I like, so I designed my house with experience and confidence.

Maya

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:20 am
We still don't own after ten years of marriage, but mostly because we rent a great one family house and don't feel desperate. We were also looking into other communities and hadn't made up our minds yet. Right now our realtor knows to tell us if something interesting comes up for sale, but we aren't actively looking.

I know people think we're crazy because everyone seems to think it's most important to own a home as soon as you are able to, but we've been happy renting so far.

Sanguine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:28 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
no poll. just curious. Also another factor is if there is/was anything for sale in your community/area.
Seven years but we never thought to buy the first 6 years (before aliya and other reasons...). What we bought (an apartment) was on paper and by the time it was built we no longer wanted to live there. We lucked out cause it was a good investment and that 4 room apartment turned into a house where we now live. I always say that if we wanted to buy for an investment it would have turned out to be a dud - we never invest well. But since we were actually buying to live there, it turned out to be a place we would have hated - Bad luck, but it turned out great for us monetarily (also cause we're in a cheaper neighborhood now.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:55 am
Bought first house 2 years after marriage. Built next one four years after marriage.

Sanguine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:02 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Just wondering makes no sense. You're on the general forum. Every country is different. Even if we hadn't (sold our apartment and) bought our house, our tenant's rent on the apt was paying our rent on a house here. Our mortgage was low (we were very careful not to overspend since Israeli mortgages blow up) and after 27 years we would actually own something worth a lot of money. Real estate is the best investment. You don't have to live in what you own but if you have some money to put down, you'll make a lot more with real estate than you will in the bank. It's nice to live in what we own but you don't have to.

LisaS

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:16 am
7 years, but that was about 6 years ago and the market was different then. I don't know what we'd be able to afford now.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:58 am
Sanguine wrote:
Just wondering makes no sense. You're on the general forum. Every country is different. Even if we hadn't (sold our apartment and) bought our house, our tenant's rent on the apt was paying our rent on a house here. Our mortgage was low (we were very careful not to overspend since Israeli mortgages blow up) and after 27 years we would actually own something worth a lot of money. Real estate is the best investment. You don't have to live in what you own but if you have some money to put down, you'll make a lot more with real estate than you will in the bank. It's nice to live in what we own but you don't have to.
Why does itmake no sense? I dont care the specifics. Im just wondering based not on country you live in or anything. And I know every country is different. Maybe Ill do a spinoff in the II section Smile

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:02 am
We purchased our first home after 4 years of marriage. It was a horrible investment but what can you do? We purchased our 2nd home 10 years later, so after almost 14 years of marriage. We hope that this one is a better investment.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:07 am
At 10 years, but we could have bought earlier, the money we used for the down payment was there for a while (though B"H the investments grew - we were not actively adding to it though).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 9:08 am
We're married over 3 1/2 years and we're looking to buy a house now. The main reason is because we live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Brooklyn and we've just about outgrew our apartment. At the rate the market is now, a 3 bedroom apartment would cost almost as much as a monthly mortgage payment for a house.

Sanguine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 10:51 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Why does itmake no sense? I dont care the specifics. Im just wondering based not on country you live in or anything. And I know every country is different. Maybe Ill do a spinoff in the II section Smile
Sorry, I don't understand a pointless question. Forget the country. What if I tell you I owned my house before I got married. That's it. Thank-you for answering. How does it help you (or anyone) to know that? You didn't ask so I didn't tell. Anyone reading this thread thinks there are people who can own a house before they're even married. Thank you for the info. Do you want me to mention that my parents are loaded and they buy all their kids houses when we turn 18? (that's not true at all). But what's the point of wondering how long. Maybe we got married at 35 and both worked in hi-tech but lived with mom. We'd buy a house immediately but what did I tell you if you didn't know the background? OK - I'm going. I don't get it.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 10:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
How many years after you got married were you able to buy your home?

8 and change, but we borrowed money from my in laws to do it. BH they were able and willing to lend us the money.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:16 am
We got a small apartment from my parents when we got married 8 years later were looking to buy a house

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:18 am
Maya wrote:
We still don't own after ten years of marriage, but mostly because we rent a great one family house and don't feel desperate. We were also looking into other communities and hadn't made up our minds yet. Right now our realtor knows to tell us if something interesting comes up for sale, but we aren't actively looking.

I know people think we're crazy because everyone seems to think it's most important to own a home as soon as you are able to, but we've been happy renting so far.

Think again. I just met an older woman, who said her biggest regret in life is not buying a house when she was young.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:24 am
5 years before I got married
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics