Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Should my DH become Computer Programmer?
1  2  Next

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:39 am
My DH is looking into different career choices. He doesn't want to go through much schooling because we need the money asap.

How is the job market today for programmers?
What does programming entail?
Is it a 9-5 job?
Is it lucrative? What is salary? Is there room for growth?
Is it possible to work from Israel?

What and where for schooling? Any possibilities to learn online or in Israel?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

LisaS

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:54 am
My husband was not happy with his profession so he retrained to be a programmer. Now he is very happy, buy he is not working as a hard-code programmer, it is more like lite-programming, database development. He does work 9-5 = salary accordingly. He is not making a hi-tech salary. But he is happy with it.

He trained at John Bryce in Jerusalem. It was a year long course. He did not find a job in what he learned there, but the course was more useful just for the resume and for general programming knowledge.

Misrad Haliya covered a third of the tuition.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:58 am
Did he get a job immediately after?
Was the course full time?
My DH is orking now but wants to switch careers. Is it a course he can do while in his old job?

What is the salary like? Main reason for career change is not making enough money!

LisaS

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:05 am
He did not have many jobs to choose from, he couldn't compete with just-out-of-college graduates with a degree in computer science. You can't compare that to a one year degree. But he was only looking for a month or two until he found this one.

The course was two days a week from 6-10pm, with homework.

Please PM me about the salary. I don't want to post that in public.

kollel wife

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 10:15 am
I think it can be a very good profession with a very good salary? Is he smart, hard working, conscientious, detail oriented, analytical, mathematical?

These are needed skills. Work can be done remotely even long distance perhaps especially after establishing one-self.

Lighter programming or technical support are also very needed in today's internet world.

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:29 pm
Someone told my DH the average salary is 50k. That is not enough to support us. Is that accurate?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:20 pm
IMVHO if you are American and have family in America come back . At least until he is very established in field
From what I know you are making things ten times more difficult for yourself unless you are very well connected in Israel

amother
Red

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:04 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
IMVHO if you are American and have family in America come back . At least until he is very established in field
From what I know you are making things ten times more difficult for yourself unless you are very well connected in Israel

Don't israeli companies use programmers too?
We live in Israel with a bunch of kids and have no plans of movign to US unless we move to stay which is our last last resort. Also I have many friends in US who are barely making it either month to month.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:47 pm
It is my understanding that pr jobs that pay 150k in ny only pay 40 in Israel
Maybe that's changed

chaiz

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:51 pm
I think you need to speak to actual people in the field regarding salary and finances, not random women online.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:54 pm
I'm in the field, though not in E"Y, and I can't really answer. Salary is really dependent on specialty and demand for that skill vs supply of qualified programmers for that. I know people who do well freelancing, but it does take time to build up a portfolio and expertise. 50K is not unreasonable for a starting salary, but it can grow way beyond that for a talented programmer.

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:22 pm
Here's a page with a salary survey of computer jobs in Israel.
http://www.cji.co.il/docs.htm

I suggest looking at the employment ads in an Israeli newspaper to see how many of them do or don't require university degrees.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:21 pm
I'm in that field, but not Israel.

The money depends where you live. $50K could be incredible low or pretty good for a staring salary.

Education: at the least he can look into what's commonly called code school. That could get you in to some small companies, but you will NOT be hired into larger professional companies, period. They require computer science degrees or a lot of experience at a high level that you can prove. He will not be able to compete.

Is he good at math? Logic? Physics? Problem solving? Does he have a lot of experience even using a computer?

The best thing for him to do is to get a very basic Java programming book now, and begin learning and writing code. Many jobs don't use heavy languages like Java, but he will need to be able to handle learning it and become proficient in it if he hopes to be successful.

It can be a lucrative field with lots of security, but you have to love it and be excellent at it to succeed.

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:49 pm
chaiz wrote:
I think you need to speak to actual people in the field regarding salary and finances, not random women online.

We obviously won't base our decision on Imamother.com but it is a good place to start. I'm sure there are women on this forum who are programmers or who are married to programmers and can give me some useful info. If this forum doesn't apply to you, you can just not open it!
And thank to those that did so far...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:41 pm
My company always seem to be looking for computer programmers. Looks like there aren't enough candidates who can do multiple programme languages--the internal job bulletin lists requirement as C++, C#, Java.

naturalmom5

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:06 pm
M bissli would you say there is a very strong demand for ruby and python
My friends are all learning python

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:16 pm
A really good programmer in NYC makes up to 400k. My hubby is a tech recruiter.We just placed an ok guy fr 150k, 4 day workweek.50k is a starting salary and its pretty low(NYC only)

tymama

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
A really good programmer in NYC makes up to 400k. My hubby is a tech recruiter.We just placed an ok guy fr 150k, 4 day workweek.50k is a starting salary and its pretty low(NYC only)

My husband is a CTO in communication field and looking for job change. Can you PM me with your husbands info so he can contact him?

imasoftov

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:05 am
amother wrote:

Could you ask your DH about the training of the high-paying programmers he places? The OP is talking about a short course that her DH can take while working. All the programmers I work with have at least a bachelor's degree but he probably has a better view of the job market as a whole than I have fom my job.

amother
Red

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:10 am
imasoftov wrote:
Could you ask your DH about the training of the high-paying programmers he places? The OP is talking about a short course that her DH can take while working. All the programmers I work with have at least a bachelor's degree but he probably has a better view of the job market as a whole than I have fom my job.

Yes that would be great to hear about what training you are talking about.
If need be he will do more schooling. He has Yeshiva credits towards BA
Do they outsource to Israel?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics