Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Should my DH become Computer Programmer?
Previous  1  2

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:02 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
M bissli would you say there is a very strong demand for ruby and python
My friends are all learning python

To be honest, I don't work in IT myself and I've never heard of them.
The languages I listed before seem to be popular specification across financial services (trading floor front/mid/back office applications esp on risk modelling).

amother
Denim

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:28 am
My husband is doing this now. He is retraining in computer programming because he looked for a few years for a job in his field but could not get one. (He needed protekzia and good Hebrew, neither of which he has.) He recently took a job, that while it doesn't cover the bills, it makes something, and he's learning programming on his own at night. He couldn't do a classroom course or degree because he works minimum 9 hours a day and we need the income (and those courses cost money.) He is learning Python on his own via free online classes. One downside of making his own schedule is that stuff always comes up and therefore, he can not progress very fast. He will probably have a harder time finding a job than someone with a degree in Computer Science, but it's the best we can do. And the salaries are not amazing here in Israel and even more so at the bottom of the ladder, without the proper degree (he'll be self-taught) and without a decent Hebrew. However, this makes the most sense for us given our circumstances.

DrMom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:38 am
LisaS wrote:
He did not have many jobs to choose from, he couldn't compete with just-out-of-college graduates with a degree in computer science. You can't compare that to a one year degree.

This. Computer Sci is a very hot field in Israel, and they only accept top students into university Comp Sci departments. A "computer scientist" is very different from a "programmer."

Straight programming jobs can sometimes be dreary. They are sometimes treated as disposeable resources. Be careful when job-hunting.

I agree that Python is a popular language to learn now for hi-tech jobs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:47 am
Python and Ruby (on Rails) are hot programming languages right now, but they may be better suited for smaller jobs via freelancing or the like than steady full time employment. At least based on the job availability I've seen in the States.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics