Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it ok to ignore this email?
Previous  1  2

studying_torah

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:51 pm
Agreed Barbara and olive!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 11:03 pm
Charming amothers here.

mirror

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:42 am
Op, I feel for you. You chose this profession because you feel pressured to earn certain wages to make ends meet. If you did not feel this pressure, I am sure you would have chosen a less stressful career path.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 4:36 pm
Devoirie wrote:
Op, I feel for you. You chose this profession because you feel pressured to earn certain wages to make ends meet. If you did not feel this pressure, I am sure you would have chosen a less stressful career path.
You're making quite a huge assumption there, and if I may say so, being rather patronizing. OP may have chosen this career path because she's a caring individual who has the noble aspiration of helping sick people, or because she wants to move to another area where nurses are in greater demand than any other profession she could reasonably engage in.

debsey

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:31 pm
Barbara wrote:
Good idea, but the gee, you're busy is a bit obvious under the circumstances. Let her say she's busy, or that the other Professor is back.

OK - I'll take it. Yours works too! (I'm thinking more from the professor's perspective, since I've been there. If a student that rubs me the wrong way offers me ANY sort of out so that I don't have to spend my valuable time with someone who doesn't enjoy working with me, I will take that out and RUN with it!!!!)

debsey

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:41 pm
Barbara wrote:
And a series of other threads -- that most people at the school were not nice to her; that she didn't bother to check her email about an elective, etc.

But the thought is the same. She needs to be more professional in her interactions with others, and at least publicly put on a tough face.

I seriously think that Touro and Reizel Reit and Bulka and all the other frum "colleges" need to teach a class on graduate school/business/professional etiquette.

They need to do this for the sake of their students and the obvious faux pas that they make.

They need to do this for the sake of us - the professional working frum women already established on the faculty, in the office, etc - so that we don't cringe when a new Bais Yakov girl, with her freshly minted MA from Reizel Reit or wherever comes in and commits every faux pas in the book, and then it reflects poorly on us.

Some simple social skills training, some assertiveness training, and some ethics classes would go a LONG way in solving a lot of this........

sequoia

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:47 pm
The only thing all those threads have in common is that they were written by English girls. There is more than one English girl on imamother.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 6:04 pm
debsey wrote:
I seriously think that Touro and Reizel Reit and Bulka and all the other frum "colleges" need to teach a class on graduate school/business/professional etiquette.

They need to do this for the sake of their students and the obvious faux pas that they make.

They need to do this for the sake of us - the professional working frum women already established on the faculty, in the office, etc - so that we don't cringe when a new Bais Yakov girl, with her freshly minted MA from Reizel Reit or wherever comes in and commits every faux pas in the book, and then it reflects poorly on us.

Some simple social skills training, some assertiveness training, and some ethics classes would go a LONG way in solving a lot of this........

If it makes you feel better, I'm sorting resumes for a job opening right now, and the applicants -- none of whom appear to be Bais Yaakov girls -- are making ridiculous mistakes. One stated that she would "love" to come in for an interview. Love? Really? You think that's appropriate in a business letter? Others are so over the top that it's laughable. Still others have salary requirements that are delusional at best; as in 3 digits per hour for a part-time, entry level position.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 7:15 pm
I actually don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone would love to interview. I don't think it's unprofessional at all.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics