Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you eat dips shabbos?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:37 pm
which ones and why?

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:40 pm
Yes- hummus pretty much every week, tehina and matbucha often, occasionally something else in addition. We really enjoy them with challah, and we keep a vegetarian household so it makes for an easy addition to the overall protein content of the meal.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:41 pm
No. I believe that dips belong with breakfast and snacks, not a seuda. Dips that accompany a main course are appropriate IMO, but I assume that the OP is referring to dips that individuals eat with challah.

Last edited by Scrabble123 on Mon, May 11 2015, 1:44 pm; edited 2 times in total

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:43 pm
No. Waste of calories and very little nutrition! All that challahand oftentimes all that mayo! No way! Also I would hate for my family to fill up on challah/dips and not eat the main

mha3484

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:45 pm
Yes usually 2-3. I don't care for plain challah. I will often eat with rice cakes to save calories.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:46 pm
Our Shabbat meals (esp lunch) usually starts with lots of different salatim and dips. It's so hard to prepare all salatim in the morning, whereas dips can be prepared beforehand. So I usually have at least 3 dips (including hummus that can be store bought or homemade). None of my dips have mayos, except for guacamole (even then I sometimes skip mayo and just use green zchug, salt, lemon juice and olive oil). Also we don't use sweet-ish challot so perfectly fine to serve dips.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 1:46 pm
Wouldn't be Shabbos without dips, along with homemade Challah.

Babaganoush
Avocado dip
Olive Dip
Tomato Dip
Tehina
Jalapeno dip
Roasted Garlic

I usually have 2 or 3 per Shabbos/Yom Tov...sometimes depends on the fish I'm serving (e.g. Jalapeno goes really well with salmon)

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:02 pm
Yes we do. It's very typical in Israel. We usually have:

garlic dip
mushroom dip (our only dip with mayo - very little)
marinated eggplant salad
matbucha or tomato dip
chummus

sometimes:

green pepper dip
babganoush

We eat some of them as salads, not only with challah, and we serve less by the main course. Especially on Friday night, after the dips and salads, it's usually chicken soup (sometimes), chicken, and potatoes or zucchini.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:19 pm
yes. My family really like them. I do chummus, usually bought, chatzilim dip and sometimes other ones. If I have guests for lunch I might make guacamale.

I personally do not eat much of the dips. I like challa plain. But I often mix dips with salad or gefilta fish.

pesek zman

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:24 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Yes we do. It's very typical in Israel. We usually have:

garlic dip
mushroom dip (our only dip with mayo - very little)
marinated eggplant salad
matbucha or tomato dip
chummus

sometimes:

green pepper dip
babganoush

We eat some of them as salads, not only with challah, and we serve less by the main course. Especially on Friday night, after the dips and salads, it's usually chicken soup (sometimes), chicken, and potatoes or zucchini.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am curious: among those whose answers are a resounding yes, how many are in Israel?

Raisin

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:26 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I am curious: among those whose answers are a resounding yes, how many are in Israel?

I'm not in isreal but a lot of my guests are israelis. But I grew up in a very non israeli home and we had dips every shabbos. Almost everyone I know serves dips on shabbos.

Sanguine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:31 pm
I grew up on just a bite of Challah for Motzi but my "Israeli" kids have changed the family. They do all the work (I bake the Challah)

chumous (with fried onions and mushrooms on top)
Techina (home mixed)
A baked eggplant with techina on top of it
Cabbage salad
Slices of eggplant fried and cooked in a tomato sauce with some pieces of red pepper (I have no idea what it is - DS makes it. Uses a lot of space on the stove and takes a long time)(and he doesn't like when I steal some of the fried eggplant in the middle - YUM)

I think this Challah course is silly. The kids spend a lot of time on Friday preparing it and it's so fattening.

Last edited by Sanguine on Mon, May 11 2015, 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:32 pm
(aubergine amother)

I'm in Israel, married to an Israeli.

rising hero

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:33 pm
Yes. It wouldn't be a shabbos meal without it, for us. It goes together with the challah and fish. We have tomato dip, chumus, spicy olives, eggplant, chrein with and without mayo and other assorted mayo dips. We have about 4-5 dips every week. I'm not in israel.

silly

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:34 pm
techina
sour pickles
sessme eggplant
spicy olives
dh eats everything , I only techina and sour pickles

sometimes we buy tomato dip

etky

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:13 pm
We are very un-Israeli in this respect. No dips for us.
Extra calories and kills the appetite for the rest of the meal, which is 3 courses on its own.
I mean how much do you really need to eat?
The only time I serve dips on Shabbat is when I decide to make them into a first course for lunch.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:23 pm
etky wrote:
We are very un-Israeli in this respect. No dips for us.
Extra calories and kills the appetite for the rest of the meal, which is 3 courses on its own.
I mean how much do you really need to eat?
The only time I serve dips on Shabbat is when I decide to make them into a first course for lunch.

By our meal, dips and salads are the first course. We rarely have fish, but when we do, we don't usually have dips aside from possibly chummus.

Our day meal is challah and dips, a big lettuce salad, and cholent. Nothing else.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:23 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Not at all Israeli, but I did go to sem there for 2 years, and might have picked this up there.....but not really, my DH also likes dips, maybe he picked it up there in yeshiva? my parents got into it at some point, and I don't remember which came first.....

Many dips do have nutritional value, btw. Avocado, bean dips like Chummus or Tehina.....though I admit Jalapeno is mostly fat (mayo) it does stimulate drinking (water!) and is so refreshing in the summertime.

Simple1

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:24 pm
We have dips because we like them. They're not all unhealthy. Homemade matbucha, chumus, tehina, and some eggplant recipes can be healthy and nutritious.

etky

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:26 pm
Shopmiami49 wrote:
By our meal, dips and salads are the first course. We rarely have fish, but when we do, we don't usually have dips aside from possibly chummus.

Our day meal is challah and dips, a big lettuce salad, and cholent. Nothing else.

Well then that sounds very reasonable to me. And yummy Smile
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note