Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you eat dips shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

sweetpotato

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:37 pm
Yes, almost always when we have guests and more so in the summer when the produce is better (tomatoes, eggplants, etc.) I don't care for the store bought dips so if we have them, I make them. Chummus, techina, babaganoush, matboucha, sometimes just simple ones like olive oil with minced garlic and herbs. One that's always super popular is just tomato sauce (usually leftover) mixed with olive oil. I don't use mayonnaise in any of them. I think having a table set with a lovely variety of dips and salads is great for Shabbos.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:25 pm
I enjoy seeing how most of the comments were positive. I really think that dips cheapen a Shabbos table, but in communities where it the norm that is not the censuses! I like the tastes of many dips, but really have a problem with them aesthetically and in terms of proper etiquette socially. Since these things are cultural, obviously there is no aesthetic or etiquette issue for most people here.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:37 pm
Sometimes for our first course but always with veggie sticks (celery, carrots, pepper etc) to limit the challah consumption. And only if I have time to make hummus, don't like shop bought as too fake tasting. So dips are egg n onion, hummus, tomato/aubergine dip from Mishpacha that I love and lasts for 3 weeks in the fridge, maybe liver if I make, plus a couple of simple salads.

We only have two courses usually, salad course then main. In winter we have soup rather than salads on Friday night. Sometimes we have fruit to finish but more often we go for a walk and then come back and have a liqueur or some melon or soft fruit.

I have a big issue with enormous multi course shabbos meals as I think they are totally unhealthy, so I prefer to patchka around with fancy presentation but smaller volumes, eg a side dish is steamed veg of multiple rainbow colors cut into interesting shapes and arranged on a platter rather than 3 different kugels.

Amother as I discuss this endlessly IRL.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:20 pm
I'm in Israel but I grew up with dips in America too.
If we don't have guests, we have techina and maybe 1 other dip.
If we have guests we have any or all of the following, depending on how much time I have - tomato dip, roasted garlic, pesto, techina, olive dip, eggplant in tomato sauce, sliced pickles and olives.
I love serving a lot of dips with the fish as it fills people up and I can serve less sides with the main.

I have gorgeous dip dishes with matching little spoons and the presentation is beautiful.

sweetpotato

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 6:48 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I enjoy seeing how most of the comments were positive. I really think that dips cheapen a Shabbos table, but in communities where it the norm that is not the censuses! I like the tastes of many dips, but really have a problem with them aesthetically and in terms of proper etiquette socially. Since these things are cultural, obviously there is no aesthetic or etiquette issue for most people here.

That's interesting-- I'm just curious why you think having dips cheapens a shabbos table? Is it the food itself or the fact that they are passed around? How do you structure your meals?

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:20 pm
A separate question--how many of us dip-servers have a separate fish or soup course? We usually serve fish together with salatim/dips. I absolutely agree there's no room to serve a separate soup course before the main (and the desserts).

Scrabble, it's interesting. Because for us we feel having all those colourful and labour intensive salatim and dips (together with fish we usually have minimum 5, usually 7-8 varieries for the first course) actually enhances Shabbat.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:43 pm
I serve Challah, dips, salad, and fish as the first course.

Friday night, this is followed by soup, followed by main course (generally chicken, kugel, farfel), followed by dessert (compote or apple crisp.)

Shabbos day this is followed by main course of chulent/kugel. We don't usually do liver/eggs as it makes us too full for chulent and DH prefers hot chulent. And we aren't that big into dessert - maybe fruit at the end, or some nuts like pistachio.....

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:50 pm
I serve dips. All homeade.
usually
garlic
tomato
matbucha
chummus with mushrooms and onions
pesto
eggplant
chain
Sometimes techno or another one.
NO mayonnaise
I serve it by challah and serve fish and salad after. The soup and main

Shabbos day I have dips.
liver and eggs (from cholent)
Cholent
kishke
kugel
hot pastrami
salad and veggie.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 7:53 pm
Yes. We eat whole wheat matzah (to avoid overindulging on challah!) and to make it more tasty, we eat dips. Dh likes hummus, I like matbucha and eggplant (no mayo, no fat, very little sugar if any)

Maya

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:31 pm
No, not anymore.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:47 pm
We love dips! Many upper class restaurants put out bread with a pretty dip before the meal. It's classy and presentable.

And most of ours are homemade and our challah is whole grain, so for those of us who are health-conscious if not weight-conscious it totally makes sense as a first course.

Chummus
Olive tapenade
Black bean dip
Babagnoush
Tomato Dip

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 8:49 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
That's interesting-- I'm just curious why you think having dips cheapens a shabbos table? Is it the food itself or the fact that they are passed around? How do you structure your meals?

It's the food itself. I would say that hotdogs would cheapen a Shabbos table as well. Of course if people don't think so and want to go and serve hotdogs that is their thing. To be a Shabbos seuda would mean Kiddish, Challah, Soup, Fish as an entree, and a main course (small portions). During the day I like a sueda d' Reb Chidka so not in that order, and I do not particularly go for cholent either for much of the reason that I do not go for dip.

I guess when I'll get married again we'll have to see how much my future husband is interested in cholent and dips, but I would like the Shabbos table to be comparable to a fine dining experience and not a just some local restaurant (no robes, proper napkins, proper portions, etc. etc.). For now I can have my seudas that way, although usually when I eat home alone I eat a very quick seuda, but it is portioned, and I do get dressed. When I would serve seudot at my friend's home though I always made sure that they were equal to a fine dining experience. I just think that it adds so much towards the spirit of Shabbos. I know that others feel differently, and I have definitely experienced a wide variety of seudos, so I can try and understand/grasp where everyone is coming from.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:36 am
Scrabble123, thank you for explaining. I can see your point now.

I think that for a lot of us, Shabbos meals are comfort food, as in using the recipes and menus that were passed down from mothers and grandmothers. If that always included bubbie's babaghanoush, then so be it.

Ashkenazim don't exactly have a long history of access to vegetables except for onions and potatoes. Sephardim and other Mediterranean backgrounds are much more veggie based in general, and dips are a huge part of the culture.

Having lots of pretty little dishes of things to taste is a sign of hospitality and wealth. It takes more time and energy to prepare lots of different things, and it makes sure that there is a taste that will appeal to every kind of guest. It shows that a lot of love and thought went into the preparation.

Somehow, a big slab of potato kugel just doesn't give me the same feeling, but for other people, a kugel is the same thing as a hug from mom!

DrMom

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:40 am
We don't serve them because not enough of us them eat them. We might make some nice salatim if there are guests.

If we are invited out and our hosts serve salatim, I'll nibble if it's something I like. I'll just put some on my plate and eat with a fork.

I don't like eating tons of challah, with or without spreads (you don't really "dip" your challah into them so I don't call them that).

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 12:58 am
A spread of salatim as a first course or as an accompaniment to the first course is a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean way of eating and hosting that has become very popular and almost expected in Israel. Years ago, when I was growing up in the States I don't remember anyone serving salatim. If there was fish as a first course there might be your typical cucumber salad and cole slaw (and chrein) on the side but that was pretty much the extent of it. Come to think of it, no one even knew what chumous or tehina were back then. I remember when Baba Ghanoush was 'discovered' in the late seventies and regarded as very exotic...
Salatim are yummy, mostly healthy fare and a rich spread is the very embodiment of hospitality in many cultures. It's just not my way of entertaining. I usually like to serve a plated first course when I have guests. When it's just us we have individual green salads - personalized to include and exclude whatever vegetables each family member likes to eat. Friday night is always soup.
I like an abundance of food at the Shabbat table but I also think that there is such a thing as 'too much' (not talking specifically about salatim here, just in general) and that can actually detract from the overall experience - not to mention the bloatedness, lethargic feeling and weight gain that are often the result of just eating too much food in one sitting.

buzz

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 3:29 am
Always between 4-6 dips with fish every shabbat

avo - blended
egg - blended
tuna - blended
chummus
tehina
matbucha
olive dip - 2 ways
tartar sauce dip
eggplant dip - smoked or not
pumpkin dip
tomato dip

sped

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 3:49 am
buzz wrote:
Always between 4-6 dips with fish every shabbat

avo - blended
egg - blended
tuna - blended
chummus
tehina
matbucha
olive dip - 2 ways
tartar sauce dip
eggplant dip - smoked or not
pumpkin dip
tomato dip

What is pumpkin dip? How do you make it please?

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 3:59 am
DrMom wrote:
We don't serve them because not enough of us them eat them. We might make some nice salatim if there are guests.

If we are invited out and our hosts serve salatim, I'll nibble if it's something I like. I'll just put some on my plate and eat with a fork.

I don't like eating tons of challah, with or without spreads (you don't really "dip" your challah into them so I don't call them that).

That's why I prefer salads, of cooked or fresh vegetables, that can be eaten on their own and not 'salatim', many of which are really 'mimrachim' for the challah. Truth is I eat lots of chumous, techina, chatzilim of different sorts on bread during the week as light meals. They are a staple in our home. I don't particularly want them at my Shabbat table. They also don't really go with the challah that I bake which is sweet.

shevi82

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 5:11 am
We serve dips every shabbos. The first course of dips, challah and fish is the main part of the meal for us.
None of our dips have Mayo.
Can someone post the recipe for Garlic dip? does it have mayo in it?

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 7:46 am
etky wrote:
A spread of salatim as a first course or as an accompaniment to the first course is a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean way of eating and hosting that has become very popular and almost expected in Israel. Years ago, when I was growing up in the States I don't remember anyone serving salatim. If there was fish as a first course there might be your typical cucumber salad and cole slaw (and chrein) on the side but that was pretty much the extent of it. Come to think of it, no one even knew what chumous or tehina were back then. I remember when Baba Ghanoush was 'discovered' in the late seventies and regarded as very exotic...
Salatim are yummy, mostly healthy fare and a rich spread is the very embodiment of hospitality in many cultures. It's just not my way of entertaining. I usually like to serve a plated first course when I have guests. When it's just us we have individual green salads - personalized to include and exclude whatever vegetables each family member likes to eat. Friday night is always soup.
I like an abundance of food at the Shabbat table but I also think that there is such a thing as 'too much' (not talking specifically about salatim here, just in general) and that can actually detract from the overall experience - not to mention the bloatedness, lethargic feeling and weight gain that are often the result of just eating too much food in one sitting.
Israel has the salatim as stadard start of weddings too. (soup isn't). That's how I judge if I'm going to like the food at the wedding. If they have beets, spicy carrots, hot olives in tomato sauce and at least 3 types of eggplant I can already predict that I won't be interested in the main either. If I actually fill up on the salatim, it's a shame cause the main is going to be good too.

My kids force this salatim course on me on Shabbat (they do all the work for it). I never serve fish or a mana rishona so for lunch this is it and then it just moves into the main just added, same plates and all so it's nice. But Friday night we have soup coming up and I have no interest in filling up on Challah (plus I'm starving and want real food.)

Etky, does anyone ever use the name "Baba Ghanoush" in Israel?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note