Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you eat dips shabbos?
Previous  1  2  3

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 7:59 am
Sanguine wrote:
Israel has the salatim as stadard start of weddings too. (soup isn't). That's how I judge if I'm going to like the food at the wedding. If they have beets, spicy carrots, hot olives in tomato sauce and at least 3 types of eggplant I can already predict that I won't be interested in the main either. If I actually fill up on the salatim, it's a shame cause the main is going to be good too.

My kids force this salatim course on me on Shabbat (they do all the work for it). I never serve fish or a mana rishona so for lunch this is it and then it just moves into the main just added, same plates and all so it's nice. But Friday night we have soup coming up and I have no interest in filling up on Challah (plus I'm starving and want real food.)

Etky, does anyone ever use the name "Baba Ghanoush" in Israel?

LOL, not that I've ever heard! I think it might be Turkish or Arabic. All I've ever heard it called here is either חצילים במיונז or חצילים בטחינה

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:01 am
Sanguine wrote:
Israel has the salatim as stadard start of weddings too. (soup isn't). That's how I judge if I'm going to like the food at the wedding. If they have beets, spicy carrots, hot olives in tomato sauce and at least 3 types of eggplant I can already predict that I won't be interested in the main either. If I actually fill up on the salatim, it's a shame cause the main is going to be good too.

My kids force this salatim course on me on Shabbat (they do all the work for it). I never serve fish or a mana rishona so for lunch this is it and then it just moves into the main just added, same plates and all so it's nice. But Friday night we have soup coming up and I have no interest in filling up on Challah (plus I'm starving and want real food.)

Etky, does anyone ever use the name "Baba Ghanoush" in Israel?

My favorite course at weddings is actually the fish. I almost never eat anything after that. Actually, in many cases, when they start serving so late, I'm not even around anymore for the main course....

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:14 am
etky wrote:
LOL, not that I've ever heard! I think it might be Turkish or Arabic. All I've ever heard it called here is either חצילים במיונז or חצילים בטחינה
Last night I remembered that we hadn't used our second baked eggplant from Shabbat so I was scraping the inside into a bowl (I looked up a recipe for Baba Ghanoush online. So DD (14) came in and asked me what I'm doing. I said I'm making Baba Ghanoush. She ha no idea what I was taking about. I said חצילים במיונז . No problem.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:43 am
Baba ganoush actually means 'spoled grandpa' in Arabic. Dunno exactly why, maybe because it's soft and labour intensive (vs simply fried aubergines)?

I was thinking, maybe whether to serve soup or not have something to do with weather?

Also this is probably another cultural thing, but we serve green salad separately after the main course.

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:52 am
You almost never see soup served at weddings anymore, summer or winter. I think maybe because it's too messy to serve. You do have self-service soup stands though with the appetizers in smachot that are planned as a buffet. Last time I was served soup at the table at a wedding was at a very upscale place. They did a meaty mushroom barley soup served in a round carved out loaf of bread. It was delicious and also easy and neat to serve.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 8:59 am
etky wrote:
You almost never see soup served at weddings anymore, summer or winter. I think maybe because it's too messy to serve. You do have self-service soup stands though with the appetizers in smachot that are planned as a buffet. Last time I was served soup at the table at a wedding was at a very upscale place. They did a meaty mushroom barley soup served in a round carved out loaf of bread. It was delicious and also easy and neat to serve.

Never seen the appetizer stands you're referring to. Sounds interesting. Where do you live? (I'm in NY and think soups are still quite common here)

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:09 am
pesek zman wrote:
Never seen the appetizer stands you're referring to. Sounds interesting. Where do you live? (I'm in NY and think soups are still quite common here)

Very often, the appetizers at a simcha here (Israel) will be arranged around the hall or outside area in different stands. Each stand offers something else: fresh baked foccacia, soup, stir fry with chicken or meat, cous-cous + soup, kebab,egg roll, tortilla, cigars and kubbe, etc.
The meal (salatim, fish or boureka, chicken/meat with accompaniments, dessert) will be served at the tables or sometimes there will be a buffet for the main course and then another one for dessert.

pesek zman

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:17 am
etky wrote:
Very often, the appetizers at a simcha here (Israel) will be arranged around the hall or outside area in different stands. Each stand offers something else: fresh baked foccacia, soup, stir fry with chicken or meat, cous-cous + soup, kebab,egg roll, tortilla, cigars and kubbe, etc.
The meal (salatim, fish or boureka, chicken/meat with accompaniments, dessert) will be served at the tables or sometimes there will be a buffet for the main course and then another one for dessert.

This is after the shmorg at the kabalas panim?! Wow! That's a lot of food!

Raisin

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:19 am
I also find soup a pain in the neck to serve to a crowd, although I do serve it once in a while. It is much much easier (I plan lots of big catered meals too) to serve a cold first course of salatim and fish eg a plated plate of smoked salmon, leafy salad, and rolls and dips and pickles on the table. This can all be on the table long before the guest arrive while the hostess gets ready or whatever. In a big catered meal (wedding etc) the waiters can be plating the main course while everyone is eating this. Ditto a large meal in someones house.

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:28 am
pesek zman wrote:
This is after the shmorg at the kabalas panim?! Wow! That's a lot of food!

No - this IS the kabbalat Panim.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:40 am
etky wrote:
I was at the first (or close to) wedding a D'mall. I was so so impressed. Each place was set with four plates and each had a fancy D on the bottom. Must have taken hours to set with every plate facing the same way. And they served soup. I've been there since and I think they've done a way with the D plates and the soup too.

Sanguine

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:44 am
etky wrote:
No - this IS the kabbalat Panim.
Kind of a low key shmorg but it's really improved. Thirty years ago it was bamba and pretzels AND mitz in bottles.

etky

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:56 am
Sanguine wrote:
Kind of a low key shmorg but it's really improved. Thirty years ago it was bamba and pretzels AND mitz in bottles.

Yeah, no comparison.
Still, many smachot that we go to are kept quite modest. Most keep the kabbalat panim smallish with only 2 or 3 stations (more for a wedding though). Usually the basic price includes a set number of stations and each addition costs more.

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:35 am
shevi82 wrote:
Can someone post the recipe for Garlic dip? does it have mayo in it?

I just take a head of garlic and strip down the outer layers of peel. I put it in a small pan and drizzle it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I bake it for a little over an hour, till it's really soft. We take cloves of it and eat with Challah and fish.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:51 am
We usually do tomato dip and many times others like spicy olive, eggplant, hummos, tehina, falafel...It varies. Why? Because it's a mishigas to dip challah into these kind of things these days by the meals.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:52 am
My kids like to dip challah in salt and pepper.

Other than that, no dips.

shevi82

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 1:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I just take a head of garlic and strip down the outer layers of peel. I put it in a small pan and drizzle it with olive oil, salt, and pepper. I bake it for a little over an hour, till it's really soft. We take cloves of it and eat with Challah and fish.

Thanks sounds amazing. will try it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 1:46 pm
No; I don't really "get" them. It's not my experience of shabbes and is a little casual to me. I grew up with a starter, generally fish.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note