Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Help! my son's medicine tastes disgusting!!
1  2  Next

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:51 pm
My 8 year old is taking antibiotics that was compounded into a liquid. It tastes terrible, and my son cries and gags each time he takes it. I feel so bad for him! I feel like we tried everything and now I don't know what to do, he has a week left of three times a day. We had a flavor mixed in when it was compounded, we mixed the medicine with applesauce, we tried apple juice, ice cream, etc, right before and right after , we even tried to teach my ds to swallow the pill version-nothing's working! I would really appreciate any ideas-to mask the flavor or how to teach ds to swallow a pill, thanks!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:54 pm
Not sure it would work with an 8 yo, but for a 3 yo this did: get a flat piece of chocolate (Hershey's if you don't keep CY or Elite or whatever), and have it ready to slip into the mouth following the medicine. It's easy to slide it in and you can offer additional pieces to help mask the taste after the initial one with the medicine.

JMM-uc

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 2:55 pm
Can you mix it into a chocolate pudding?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:00 pm
Thanks for the ideas, hmm... 2 chocolate ideas, do you chocolate better at covering a bitter flavor than ice cream or applesauce?

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:05 pm
I think that you should explain to your son that you are feeling along with the bad taste, but it is a necessary part of taking the medicine and getting better. Tell him that he can drink some grapefruit juice or orange juice or whatever it is you have in your house right after and that you're proud of him. 8 is old enough to swallow a pill, but it's hard to practice with the medicine. You can try asking him if he's ready for it. I think that mixing medicines with puddings and chocolate is unnecessary under regular circumstances.

cbsp

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:08 pm
Maybe ask the pharmacist what they recommend on top of the flavor they already added. Not all compounded meds work with all flavors, some exacerbate the bitterness.

Shooting it with a syringe (if it's only a tsp or so) to the back of his throat quickly followed by something yummy may help

Also, is it a problem if it's cold? That may dull the flavor. Alternatively, maybe have him suck an ice cube right before, will numb his sense of taste. (Would anbesol work? Don't know if you want his mouth numb though!)

Hatzlachah!

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:16 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I think that you should explain to your son that you are feeling along with the bad taste, but it is a necessary part of taking the medicine and getting better. Tell him that he can drink some grapefruit juice or orange juice or whatever it is you have in your house right after and that you're proud of him. 8 is old enough to swallow a pill, but it's hard to practice with the medicine. You can try asking him if he's ready for it. I think that mixing medicines with puddings and chocolate is unnecessary under regular circumstances.

Ds has actually very good about trying, he was told and understands the purpose. he actually apologized for not taking the meds easily! but mixing it or covering the taste is absolutely necessary, why should ds be torchered like that 3 times a day!

Miri7

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 3:30 pm
We had a similar issue. Our pediatrician recommended using a syringe like you use for an infant. He suggested putting the syringe in the mouth so the medicine comes out back behind the tongue, so the taste buds don't register the flavor as much.

Have your DS try to use the syringe like this so it squirts in the back of the mouth. Maybe try with water a few times to get the hang of it. The trick is to swallow as soon as it squirts, not hold it in the mouth then swallow.

I think my DC will close his mouth around the syringe, then swallows a few times as he depresses the plunger (which is outside the mouth).

This trick really worked for us for a child about the same age.

Then you can follow with something that tastes good (chocolate, etc) right afterward to get rid of any taste.

mommy27

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:40 pm
We had a similar problem. We mixed peanut butter with chocolate syrup (and the medicine already had a grape flavoring). It worked well enough.

kb

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:48 pm
The pharmacy has different flavors, not all flavors mask all non-flavors.

Can you see if he can swallow winkies whole? If he can master that, he should be able to swallow pills.

animeme

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:57 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:

I was taught to never mix a medicine with grapefruit juice or to drink it afterwards or before, since it can actually affect how the medicine works. Oj, you have to ask.

My doc recommended grape juice or chocolate, and cold if allowed.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 4:59 pm
I remember having horrid medicine as a kid. cherry 7up to wash it down was the only thing that worked. good luck!

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:05 pm
animeme wrote:
I was taught to never mix a medicine with grapefruit juice or to drink it afterwards or before, since it can actually affect how the medicine works. Oj, you have to ask.

My doc recommended grape juice or chocolate, and cold if allowed.

That is only applicable to medications that have interactions with grapefruit (which is BTW on the rise) because it enhances the potency of the drug.

I don't think that that is what you're referring to. You're probably referring to some general medications such as amoxicillin which I don't have much experience with due to an allergy, but I've heard that with those it is advisable to not drink any fruit juices within 1 hour (that includes OJ as well). That applies to other medications, but not all medicines. She can ask her doctor.

As for OP's remark about torture? I just don't think that drinking something that tastes bad 3 times a day in torture. It's uncomfortable. It's disgusting. I'd feel bad for the child and let him know, but I'm not going to go around making ice cream concoctions so he won't taste it. There are so many better chances to spoil children than for the 5 seconds it takes to down a medication IMO, especially if your child is reasonable and understands the importance of taking medicine. Of course, there are some children that would need it mixed with some food, and I'm not referring to them in my comment.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:08 pm
http://youtu.be/HrnoR9cBP3o

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:18 pm
Also to the amother who brought up the no grapefruit juice. Thank you! That was really important since many meds are even dangerous when taken with grapefruit juice. I just didn't think about it, and I'm glad that you brought it up.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:31 pm
I am curious how many times have you had to give medication to a child who could not handle the taste of it? I do NOT consider it spoiling to try to make it easier for him, nor do I consider the medication a punishment (like a child can think of it as due to the absolute grossness). My oldest is 9.5 and really has tried hard to learn how to swallow pills and really wants to, but cannot due to a strong gag reflex. I feel for him, as I feel for OP's child. We've tried many different methods, but we're still stuck on liquid medication if he ever needs. To balance out the negative aspects of the medicine, I have no problem giving something that cancels it out. There is nothing wrong with giving a child a square of chocolate after an experience like this. (And I'm in general a very non spoiling mother who probably says no to her kids way too often.)

animeme

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:33 pm
Anytime. I have spent many, many years giving daily medications to a kid who could not have things just explained to him; he would refuse, and I would have to not only hide it but do so in a way that he wouldn't know he was taking it.

I also have a kid like op's. DC wants to comply so badly, but her body recoils from bad taste. She would spit it out and then apologize.

Oh! Which reminds me. Have you tried holding his nose closed? Sometimes that helps. He can do it himself, before you open the bottle.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:40 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I am curious how many times have you had to give medication to a child who could not handle the taste of it? I do NOT consider it spoiling to try to make it easier for him, nor do I consider the medication a punishment (like a child can think of it as due to the absolute grossness). My oldest is 9.5 and really has tried hard to learn how to swallow pills and really wants to, but cannot due to a strong gag reflex. I feel for him, as I feel for OP's child. We've tried many different methods, but we're still stuck on liquid medication if he ever needs. To balance out the negative aspects of the medicine, I have no problem giving something that cancels it out. There is nothing wrong with giving a child a square of chocolate after an experience like this. (And I'm in general a very non spoiling mother who probably says no to her kids way too often.)

Did you read my first post or just my second response?
I somehow think that you missed the first post.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:45 pm
Nope, I read both. You didn't think chocolate was necessary in the first one either. Which may be true for some kids, but if it works for those who are having an exceptionally hard time, go with it, IMO.

simchat

Post Mon, May 11 2015, 5:49 pm
I didn`t read the whole thread, but we were in a similar situation with our 5 year old daughter. We tried EVERYTHING - juice mixed with it, chocolate or candy after etc... The ONLY thing that masks the taste is grape juice. My sil gave me the idea and she`s been taking it without complaint ever since bH.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics