Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Share your hatzola stories (new title)
1  2  Next

21young

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:15 pm
Because of all the bashing of Hatzalah that was going in the other thread I'd like people to please chime in about the times they have used Hatzalah's services, whether for minor or major injuries, and how much they had to pay. Maybe that will give us a better picture of the good they do for all of us.
I'll start: When my sister was three years old she was badly burned by hot chicken soup. Hatzalah responded on Shabbos, and treated and transported her to a burn center. Because of their excellent care she did not need a skin graft. They also responded when I was out of town and my son cut his head very badly late at night, directing me where to go for stitches, etc. I was never billed for anything. There are a million others stories involving family members, but I'll start with those.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:44 pm
I was hit by a car while crossing the street when I was a teenager. Hatzalah was the first one there, before the police dept, fire dept and fire EMS. They were quick and professional and transported me to the hospital. I never got a bill from them.

Notsobusy

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 11:25 pm
My dd's elbow used to get dislocated easily. My pediatrician said to always bring her right in as soon as it happens. I asked what to do about Shabbos and he said to call Hatzolah. Some of the guys will fix it themselves, and some will bring us to him. It happened to her twice on Shaboos, the first time they called the non-Jewish driver, he drove us to the doctor, he fixed it, and the driver took us right home. The second time they were able to send a Hatzolah member who knew how to fix it himself.

They did not charge us either time.

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:36 am
glutenless wrote:
My dd's elbow used to get dislocated easily. My pediatrician said to always bring her right in as soon as it happens. I asked what to do about Shabbos and he said to call Hatzolah. Some of the guys will fix it themselves, and some will bring us to him. It happened to her twice on Shaboos, the first time they called the non-Jewish driver, he drove us to the doctor, he fixed it, and the driver took us right home. The second time they were able to send a Hatzolah member who knew how to fix it himself.

They did not charge us either time.

I had this problem with one of my children and my ped said put the arm through a jacket sleeve, many time that will get the shoulder back in place.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:54 am
happybeingamom wrote:
I had this problem with one of my children and my ped said put the arm through a jacket sleeve, many time that will get the shoulder back in place.

It was the elbow, not the shoulder, maybe that's the difference. I begged my pediatrician to teach me how to do it, but he said he used to teach parents and a few times they made it worse and some kids had to have surgery, so he doesn't teach parents how to put it back anymore.

sneakermom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:55 am
This happened many years ago but I can't forget it. My baby fell out of a swing at the park. She had the wind knocked out of her. And I really panicked. I called hatzalah and in a second they were there. They checked her out so professionally and calmed me down. I can't describe the relief I felt. BH.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:08 am
Want to set the record straight regarding the billing thing. Dh is involved in the administrative aspects of Hatzalah.

Many local Hatzalah groups have started to bill insurance companies for transports to hospitals. This is a legitimate way of getting some of their very expensive operating costs repaid in order to be able to continue their operations. This is done at zero cost to the patient. Most people are more than glad to give their insurance information as a small way to pay back for the service that was rendered. If someone does not have insurance, or does not want to give their info for some reason, it is okay.

This is a fairly recent practice, so some of the stories here may have occurred before this was put into place. As others have pointed out, the amount that insurance pays back is quite small, but it is a help towards the organization's heavy budget.

Anyone who suspects for even a minute that Hatzalah is a wealthy organization, and/or that there is excess money that is going to individuals, is so incredibly naïve about how much it actually takes to run an organization of this magnitude.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:08 am
Let me clarify. Hatzalah does not bill patients. They are a free service and a non profit organization. Literally not one volunteer makes a salary including coordinatiors. In most ny areas, insurance is not billed. Therefore, you won't get a bill either. In rock land county and KJ they do bill insurance. Therefore, legally, they must send the patients the bill for the copay. Nobody is expected to pay! They do not collect on it! The reason they do bill insurance, is because they do not have enough donations to support themselves. Not because they are money hungry thieves. Boro park hatzalah is having such a difficult time funding that they are considering billing insurance. In order to prevent it from happening, they work really hard at their fund raisers and so far they have been successful.

My husband has a collection of letters from all sorts of Jews and non Jews thanking him for his care. That is all the proof I need that he and I are doing the right thing. Even when the kids ask me where their dad is and why he is always running out. To those who bash hatzalah- I have some stuff I would like to say to you, but it will probably get me kicked off the forum so I'll refrain.

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 10:35 am
glutenless wrote:
It was the elbow, not the shoulder, maybe that's the difference. I begged my pediatrician to teach me how to do it, but he said he used to teach parents and a few times they made it worse and some kids had to have surgery, so he doesn't teach parents how to put it back anymore.

The elbow would be different.

It was just awful to see how much pain my DD was in. I am glad she outgrew it.

seeker

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:18 am
I have had hatzola numerous times for asthma, allergy (severe, obviously. Before we knew about it and had our own epipen), a stitches episode where we were away from home and unable to get to care ourselves (also maybe too panicked and inexperienced to know who to call), and possibly others. I have never received any bill, never had any run-ins with cps even though I totally blamed myself for the stitches fall, and have only gratitude and admiration for the men who have come running to us in middle of the night, Shabbos, and yom tov, and to their wives for supporting them in doing so.

questioner

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:48 am
Just out of curiosity, why shouldn't Hatzalah bill insurance? Why would they rather fundraise then get insurance money?

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:02 pm
I have asked the moderators to remove my comments on the other thread regarding hatzalah because as was pointed out there are more than one hatzalah and I am not specifying which one so I don't want them all tarred.

In addition, it was not Rockland County Hatzolah that suggested what the mom should say to the police as was written by another poster. It was a different Hatzolah. Enough said on that subject. I just want to set that record straight.

Nowhere did I impugn the professionalism and caring of the EMTs. I have 100% confidence in the volunteers and wouldn't hesitate to call them. I also have no issue whatsoever with them billing my insurance company. I don't have any issue paying co-pays for a service provided to me either.

suzyq

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:50 pm
We had to call Hatzalah once, about a year ago. They were at our house in 30 seconds, no joke. They transported my husband to the hospital. We never received a bill and they didn't even ask for insurance information. We do not live in the NY area. The Hatzalah in our area depends on donations for their existence. (We did give a nice donation afterwards, but it was in no way expected nor was it requested.)

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:32 pm
Hatzalah here does bill the insurance but to set the record straight, the insurance will only pay to the closest hospital. If you need better care from a hospital further away they will not pay for the transfer. Also their equipment is astronomical. A quality CPR automatic thumper has saved many lives but many places can only afford one. Some places have paid paramedics on call which can also cost. In short, its not a goldmine and yes, they need all the money they can get. Upgrading equipment helps save lives. Your life.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:16 pm
amother wrote:
Want to set the record straight regarding the billing thing. Dh is involved in the administrative aspects of Hatzalah.

Many local Hatzalah groups have started to bill insurance companies for transports to hospitals. This is a legitimate way of getting some of their very expensive operating costs repaid in order to be able to continue their operations. This is done at zero cost to the patient. Most people are more than glad to give their insurance information as a small way to pay back for the service that was rendered. If someone does not have insurance, or does not want to give their info for some reason, it is okay.

This is a fairly recent practice, so some of the stories here may have occurred before this was put into place. As others have pointed out, the amount that insurance pays back is quite small, but it is a help towards the organization's heavy budget.

Anyone who suspects for even a minute that Hatzalah is a wealthy organization, and/or that there is excess money that is going to individuals, is so incredibly naïve about how much it actually takes to run an organization of this magnitude.

This is totally accurate in terms of our out of town Hatzalah with the additional note that they only bill at all for transport (and, BTW they only transport to hospital ER, not to a doctor's office, etc.).

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:19 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
This is totally accurate in terms of our out of town Hatzalah with the additional note that they only bill at all for transport (and, BTW they only transport to hospital ER, not to a doctor's office, etc.).

And I also want to add that billing is never a part of the consideration when deciding on care. The regular members do not even know the details of what is or isn't covered. No decision is ever made based on if it will be covered monetarily.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:20 pm
tweek wrote:
And I also want to add that billing is never a part of the consideration when deciding on care. The regular members do not even know the details of what is or isn't covered. No decision is ever made based on if it will be covered monetarily.

Absolutely correct here as well.

questioner

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:38 pm
questioner wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why shouldn't Hatzalah bill insurance? Why would they rather fundraise then get insurance money?

Bumping this purely out of curiosity. I don't know anything about the inner workings of Hatzalah, but I would think that they should bill insurance whereever possible as a legal and well-deserved funding source instead of relying on donations for money that is "coming to them". Are they scared that people without insurance won't call them?

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:51 pm
I called hatzolah when I was having a gallbladder attack on Shabbos. They arrived in 2 minutes. They were very professional and courteous. I got a ride to the hospital.

A month later I got a letter in the mail asking for a donation. It was not a bill. It just said - we helped you, now you help us help more people. Something like that.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 5:08 pm
A few years ago, we were staying by my parents for Shabbos because my grandparents were visiting. My grandfather was 81 and in poor health (it turned out to be the beginning of his current decline, though b'h he's still hanging in there). He fell and had what's called an avulsion (basically, his skin was so thin and papery that it peeled off; a not-uncommon injury among the elderly). We called Hatzalah (over his objections, he kept insisting it was nothing a little gauze couldn't fix) and they came within minutes, put on a special type of bandage, and got him to the ER. The ER said if we have tried regular bandages he would have needed a graft, but because he was treated with the special kind, he didn't need one (though he did need a special dressing that required nursing care for several weeks after he got back home). The Hatzolah team that came was courteous and professional and we are so grateful to them. My grandparents, BTW, are completely secular, but to this day, they rave about Hatzalah, and called the one in their hometown several times over the last few years when my grandfather had other emergencies. So it was a kiddush Hashem too. No bills ever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics