Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
5 year old curious about lip kisses

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 9:49 pm
In a subtle way I began to notice my son talking a lot about kissing on the lips lately. First he was grossed out by the thought - when I told him it would happen when he got married after he brought it up to me. I tried to be nonchalant. Then he started to mention it with his sisters like I am going to kiss her on the lips or she tried to kiss me and he would be upset. I never saw what happened but his sister he was complaining about is younger than him and probably heard him talk about kissing.
Then today he had a friend over and out of nowhere he said to me he wanted to kiss his friend on the lips. That's when I got nervous!
I told him later on that kissing on the lips is a grownup thing. I showed him my wedding picture and told him how old DH and I were. I told him he can kiss his family on the cheeks but no lip kisses.
I think he understood but where is this coming from? Is this typical curiosity for this age?

smss

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:09 pm
does he watch TV/movies? is it possible he saw something at a friend's house? or people at the mall, etc?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:10 pm
How old is he?

sequoia

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:14 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
How old is he?

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:18 pm
Yes it's possible he saw it on tv or from a movie. He watches age appropriate kids stuff but who knows if I ever was watching a show and he walked in and saw that image before I could pause my show. Not that I watch crazy raunchy things but any tv show on primetime can have grownups kissing. I didn't think much about where he was exposed to it just what to do with his thoughts on it now.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:18 pm
sequoia wrote:

Duh Sad

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:25 pm
could he have seen you and your husband kissing? I dont think 5 is that young to know about kissing on the lips. I wouldnt be too worried either.

smss

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 10:47 pm
amother wrote:
Yes it's possible he saw it on tv or from a movie. He watches age appropriate kids stuff but who knows if I ever was watching a show and he walked in and saw that image before I could pause my show. Not that I watch crazy raunchy things but any tv show on primetime can have grownups kissing. I didn't think much about where he was exposed to it just what to do with his thoughts on it now.

OK. so he saw something, and got curious. I don't think the questions he's asking are so crazy.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 12 2015, 11:00 pm
It was just worrisome to me that he said he wanted to kiss his friend on the lips... came out of nowhere

chani8

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:38 am
Ask him about it. "I'm just curious, why are you thinking about kissing on the lips? Did you see other kids kissing? Did someone kiss you on the lips?"

No need for guessing games. Communicate.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 5:39 am
Another poster here. My 3 year old who to the best of my knowledge has never seen anyone kissing on the lips, has tried to kiss me on the lips on more than one occasion, and once asked me to kiss his lips. Do I just tell him 'we don't do that' and move on?

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:16 am
am I the only crazy mom who kisses her baby on the lips? I really don't see anything s-xual about it. I don't kiss her the way I kiss my husband; it's just a peck on her perfect little lips.

(anon because maybe I should be embarrassed about this.)

tigerwife

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 6:29 am
amother wrote:
am I the only crazy mom who kisses her baby on the lips? I really don't see anything s-xual about it. I don't kiss her the way I kiss my husband; it's just a peck on her perfect little lips.

No need to be embarrassed, you are not the only one. Check out family photographer portfolios; this is a popular mother/child pose.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:07 pm
amother wrote:

I totally did it when DD was little! She knew they were "Mama kisses", and she quit slowly as she got older. As far as I know, I'm the only person she's ever let kiss her on the lips, not even her dad.

She's 11 now, and if I come up and give her a kiss on top of her head, she'll go "Eeeeew, Mama quit it! That's so gross!" LOL
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers