Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Hasc or Reg Preschool

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:33 am
My 2 1/2 year old son needs intense therapy. The child neurologist had put him on the spectrum disorder but hasn't yet diagnosed him w autism. No one thinks he actually has it-just that he has some tendencies. The two options for preschool next year would be the regular preschool and I can have individual therapists in the classroom or send to HASC where it specializes with him in an integrated classroom. HASC is a very logical way to go but without trying to seem narrow minded or judgemental-I don't know if I should be putting him in that program and have him labeled for life. Has anyone ever gone through this?

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 9:38 am
Have you looked into Gesher? It's in North Woodmere, so definitely an option if you're already looking at HASC. Gesher offers the integrated environment with the goal of mainstreaming by early elementary.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 10:06 am
Where do you live? There are other programs besides hasc, much better programs. I dont think theyre good for autism at all.

esskay

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:34 am
thank you so much-I live in far rockaway. he isn't autistic-so I'm deciding if HASC or even gesher if its really a good option-or better to do a school like Darchei and get extra help while in a classroom there

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:37 am
I am the above amother. I had to make a similar decision (also dealing with certain autistic symptoms, but no autism diagnosis). We ended up at Gesher and are VERY happy. I can answer any questions/give more info by anonymous email. You can email me at bezrathashemsoon@gmail.com (you can open a new gmail account very easily if you don't want to use your regular email).

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:38 am
Oh, and please post here if you end up emailing me. It's not my regular address, so I don't check it so often Smile

esskay

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:40 am
thank you so much!

the world's best mom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:40 am
I agree that hasc may not be the best program out there. My son went to Otsar- is that too far for you?

But in the grand scheme of things, will your kid really be labelled for life because of where he went to preschool? Do people ask about that for Shidduchim or something? I prefer to tackle the kids' issues early on so they can become good people who should be considered for marriage eventually, rather than try to hide the problems so they will stay there forever.

nyer1

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:42 am
research where the best program would be for your child, and don't think about labels. if you want to support your child and give them what they need, you can't be worried with such nonsense.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 10:00 pm
Wow I'm in the exact same situation as the op... I font know if we should just send to darchei or hasc or apply to gesher.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics