Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Crock Pot recipe in Oven

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 10:39 am
I have a recipe for meat in the crock-pot and will be making it in the oven. Do I just cover the tin with foil? Leave covered all the time?

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:26 am
myself wrote:
I have a recipe for meat in the crock-pot and will be making it in the oven. Do I just cover the tin with foil? Leave covered all the time?

Yes. It should be ready in approximately 1/3 of the time that it takes in the crockpot on low.

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:35 am
Thanks ra_mom.

I'm not sure about the timing. The recipe says to cook in the crock-pot on high for 1 hour and then 6-8 hours on low. Or in the oven for 8-10 hours on 215.

Does this make sense? I put it on a higher temperature first and now it's on 215. Doesn't 8-10 hours sound a lot?

Amarante

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:41 am
It depends on the cut of the meat and what you want the end result to be. There are some particularly large tough cuts of meat which cook for a long period of time at a low temperature in the oven. This enables the collagen in the meat to fully dissolve and the stringy fibers to soften.

If you post the recipe, perhaps we can be more helpful. You might need to adjust the liquid in the oven since it is more likely to evaporate in an oven than in a crockpot.

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:49 am
Hmm. I'm using minute steak.

Amarante

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:52 am
Perhaps I call this cut by a different name but I am familiar with minutes steaks that are thinnish because they are pounded by the butcher. They are originally a fairly tough cut of meat but because of the way they are pounded they are tenderized and therefore they cook relatively quickly.

The recipes I have for such long cooking in a crock pot are for large tough cuts of meat like a brisket or a touch large roast.

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:23 pm
Sorry wasn't clear. It's a roll.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:43 pm
myself wrote:
Thanks ra_mom.

I'm not sure about the timing. The recipe says to cook in the crock-pot on high for 1 hour and then 6-8 hours on low. Or in the oven for 8-10 hours on 215.

Does this make sense? I put it on a higher temperature first and now it's on 215. Doesn't 8-10 hours sound a lot?
215 F is a very low temp, for a full roast it sounds fine.

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:58 pm
I'm wondering if perhaps the temp is too low. The tin is barely hot to the touch. Is it necessary for it to be on for this many hours? Perhaps I should increase the temperature and take it out sooner?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:03 pm
I do a lot of slow cooking in the oven using a Le Creuset dutch oven. I pretty much stick to 250F for everything except stewing chicken which I do at 225F.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:08 pm
myself wrote:
I'm wondering if perhaps the temp is too low. The tin is barely hot to the touch. Is it necessary for it to be on for this many hours? Perhaps I should increase the temperature and take it out sooner?

It should be fine.
I slow cook a roaster chicken at 250 for 5 hours uncovered.
But you can easily bake the roast at 250 for 7-8 hours instead if you'd like.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:20 pm
use a roasting bag. I've made minute roast many times in a roasting bag and it comes out amazing.

myself

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:30 pm
Raisin wrote:
use a roasting bag. I've made minute roast many times in a roasting bag and it comes out amazing.

It's already in the oven so too late for this time. Just so I know for the future - how did you do it with the roasting bag? What else did you put in?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics