Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help me plan a road trip from NY to FL

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 11:34 am
We want to take a road trip from NY (Long Island) to FL (Boca Raton) this summer. DH can take a week off work, possibly also the Friday before. We want to make interesting stops along the way (we do have small kids), and want to spend some time in Florida as we have family there. Is there a way to make this work, or are we going to use up all the time driving there and back? How can I work the scheduling of stops/overnights etc? I would make it so there's 2 Shabbosim, neither in Florida (the family there is not frum).

doctorima

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:22 pm
I haven't done a road trip to Florida, but have done similar road trips, and 1 week for round-trip NY to FL plus spending time in FL itself sounds way too rushed, especially with little kids in the car. You'll spend almost the entire time driving, which won't be fun for anybody.

I would advise trying to find a good rate on a 1-way rental and then flying back (or vice-versa, if you find a better rate going 1-way from FL to NY). Otherwise, you should try to do a good portion of the driving at night when the kids are sleeping, switching off sleeping and driving with DH.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:41 pm
That's where I was thinking Shabbos comes in. Start driving on Friday morning and spend Shabbos in Maryland or Virginia, hit the road Sat night, don't know how far we'd get before stopping. Drive Sunday and possibly get there Monday. Leave Thursday and again, stay for Shabbos somewhere on the way north, get back to NY Sunday night. I would want to make one interesting stop each way, if possible.

sherm613

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 4:11 pm
Drive down Thursday after work and drive through the night. You can be in FL for shabbos. This will maximize your time there and the kids could sleep most of the trip.

Miri7

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 4:48 pm
I agree that it sounds like an awfully long road trip for the short time you will be gone. I would also consider driving only one way and flying the other.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 5:01 pm
We are doing this also, but we are taking a week to get down, a week or two in Florida (my parents and grandfather are there) and then a week or two coming back. (We have three weeks total once we get there, so it will either be two weeks there and one to get back or one week there and two to get back.) we drove to miami and back for pesach. We didn't donanything on either trip, but we took two days to get back, just stopping overnight. I can't imagine having enough time to stop on the way there AND on the way back PLUS be in FL for a little PLUS spend neither shabbos there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics