Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How did you dress your summer newborn?

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:29 pm
Expecting second baby iyH in a few weeks, same gender as last baby who was a fall baby.

Im assuming it will be short sleeves and shorts to keep cool while outdoors (with appropriate shade of course) with lightweight blankets when indoors, but I was wondering what people have found most useful to have in a summer baby's "wardrobe".
Thanks!!!

mfb

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:39 pm
My summer baby wore long thin cotton strechies. No shorts, they are still so tiny then. (Mine was decent weight about 7 and a half lbs at birth)

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:39 pm
Mostly just undershirts (onesies) covered with a lightweight blanket when necessary.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:40 pm
I had a July baby and used long sleeve cotton layette for the first stage. We use a lot of air conditioning and even outdoors (which we didn't go out a lot the first few weeks) I felt baby should be covered up.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:42 pm
I love these for summer http://www.carters.com/carters.....ieces and a good sun hat.

I had winter babies so they were/are about 6 months by summer time. You can buy thin blankets to go over their legs but I usually just used the sun shade of the stroller. The hottest parts of the day we stayed home.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 12:49 pm
newborns are not wearing short sleeves and short pants. That's for 2 months and more. They should be wearing thing cotton stretchies that cover arms and legs.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I love these for summer http://www.carters.com/carters.....ieces and a good sun hat.

I used these with my fall baby and was hoping to buy them for this one too. It can get quite hot and humid here so my concern is heat rash and dehydration. If baby is not directly exposed to the sun, but still outdoors where it's very hot why should they be all covered up and risk being overheated? Staying indoors all day isn't an option...I got PPD with my first and I need to go out for walks and get fresh air. Obviously we would avoid the hottest parts of the day but will still need to go out!

causemommysaid

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 1:06 pm
I would do very thin cotton onesies with long sleeves. Its cool enough outside because its so thin and it takes the chill off from the AC.

Miri7

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:05 pm
Depends on if baby will be in cold AC or hot and humid. I would have thin cotton stretchies, onesies, and then little cotton short sleeve and legs rompers. My babies are usually swaddled in a blanket with at shirt or onesie for the first weeks.

Those light muslin blankets are really nice for summer. I think aiden and anais makes them.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:11 pm
amother wrote:
newborns are not wearing short sleeves and short pants. That's for 2 months and more. They should be wearing thing cotton stretchies that cover arms and legs.

Not correct. Many newborns wear little rompers or even plain onesies. If it's hot it's hot.

spring13

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:30 pm
Onesies or romper-y things with short sleeves and legs, if you're going to be outside (and you should be, it's not healthy to stay indoors all the time). Don't fuss with extra pieces (ie: shirt and pants) if you don't have to, no waistband will be cooler. Get a couple of muslin swaddling blankets to use as sunshades over the stroller or carseat, since a newborn is too young for sunscreen. Have a sunhat to fit, and maybe a pair of baby sunglasses if you spend a lot of time outside.

Indoors, it depends on your house's climate control. If your a/c keeps it really cool, then yeah, a full-length sleeper might be the best thing for when you're in that environment. If you're going somewhere and aren't sure how warm/cool it will be, pack an extra outfit and light blanket just in case.

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 2:33 pm
B'shaa Tovah OP!

My DD was born at the end of June (almost 14 years ago!) She used to wear short sleeved onesies with matching little shorts.

Also, I liked to put a hat on her head. They say newborns lose most of their body heat thru their heads, so a soft cotton hat protects them (and also looks really cute!)

Carry a light blanket, and tuck around them when in air-conditioned facilities.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:00 pm
I don't know what stroller you have but I think the the sunshade is just as important as how you dress them. Some cover quite a lot of their little bodies.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 3:02 pm
OP here!
Thanks for all the responses.
It seems like what people do really runs the gamut and I'll see how I feel when the baby is born but as of now I will definitely plan to buy some short rompers.

I have the Aden and anais blankets that I swaddled my first in and I was planning to always keep one of those with us to use as sunshade/extra layer as needed when going in and out.

We have central air but get lots of sun through huge windows so it's not too extreme temperature wise in our place.

mfb

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 5:23 pm
mha3484 wrote:

I had winter babies so they were/are about 6 months by summer time. You can buy thin blankets to go over their legs but I usually just used the sun shade of the stroller. The hottest parts of the day we stayed home.

A six month old is very different than a newborn!!!!

asd3

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:08 pm
My baby was born beginning of June last summer and the one time I decided to put him in short sleeves I felt like he was freezing. He was mostly in air conditioning and I felt it was too cold everywhere
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics