Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Moving an oven
Previous  1  2

happybeingamom

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:37 pm
GetReal wrote:
I just googled and found this:

Quote:
Moving an Oven

One is not allowed to remove an oven from its place since doing so is putting himself in danger.[25] The reason is because sheidim are underneath an oven and when one moves the oven one is starting up with the sheidim.[26] This item in the will is brought down by many poskim and one should adhere to it.[27] Some say an oven may be moved if one did not cook on it for a while.[28] It would seem that one may move an oven to fix it.[29] This inyun does not apply to radiators which are built into the wall.[30] Some say if an oven was only used for cooking (and not baking) then one may be lenient.[31] Some suggest one who has to move an oven should sell it to a [gentile], and then buy it back from him after it is moved.[32] There is an opinion in the poskim that says the whole concern of moving an oven applies if one will sleep in the empty space where the oven used to be.[33]

Many poskim say one may not even move an oven to use the space for a Yeshiva.[34]

One may remove an oven if he will put a different oven in its place.[35] Based on this one who is remolding a kitchen may remove the oven to replace it with another one. However, it would be forbidden to change the place of the oven in the kitchen.[36] If the entire inside of the house is demolished, it would seem that moving the oven to a different spot is permitted.[37]

Some poskim say one may move an oven if he removes an amah of ground from underneath it.[38] Others are lenient and say one is only required to remove a tefach of ground from underneath the oven.[39]

There are poskim who say the danger is only for the one who actually removes the oven, and there is no danger to the renter or owner of the house,[40] while others disagree with this.[41] In any case, since this involves danger, one who is not unsure if a particular case is included in this part of the will should consult a competent Rav.

Could you dig up dirt from the spot where the oven used to be and put in new dirt and have a normal hallway?

Curious does goggle say the source for this? I would like to know which sefer this is from.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 4:42 pm
GetReal wrote:
I thought the Baal Shem Tov banished the sheidim anyway.

I thought Shlomo hamelech banished the sheidim! (And I always figured that was more of a euphemism, as in, his great intelligence dispelled the superstitions born of ignorance.)

marina

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:51 pm
On a similar note, our posek doesn't allow us to clean our chimney because Santa might fall through. So I totally get it.

chavs

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 5:58 am
marina wrote:
On a similar note, our posek doesn't allow us to clean our chimney because Santa might fall through. So I totally get it.

Thats not fair! Poor Santa, he'll get all dirty trying to come through to your chimney, I wouldnt be surprised if you were on the naughty list!

Barbara

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:41 am
marina wrote:

Santa is one of the sheidim? I'm staying away from you. Next thing you'll be telling me that the Easter Bunny is really a rodent.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:55 am
Ask Rav Yaakov Hillel, or get someone to. He's a Mekubal who wants people to be normal.

skerz

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:00 am
I once had a similar issue when we renovated our house,we asked a chashuve yid who said that we should put breadcrumbs on the floor at the place of the oven for three days in a row (preferably on a paper or something, so that bread shouldn't be directly on the floor.)
Also, he said we should stand at the place of the oven while making the bracha asher yatzar there times within three days. We did both, and it worked (we actually heard they shaydim moving around at night, it was really creepy, but after we did these two tikkunim we have not heard from them again)

5mom

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:22 am
skerz wrote:
I once had a similar issue when we renovated our house,we asked a chashuve yid who said that we should put breadcrumbs on the floor at the place of the oven for three days in a row (preferably on a paper or something, so that bread shouldn't be directly on the floor.)
Also, he said we should stand at the place of the oven while making the bracha asher yatzar there times within three days. We did both, and it worked (we actually heard they shaydim moving around at night, it was really creepy, but after we did these two tikkunim we have not heard from them again)

Maybe you heard mice coming for the bread crumbs?

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:41 am
The Besht, or rebbe Nachman, chased them away from inhabited places. Move on.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:45 pm
skerz wrote:

Asher Yaatzar? I heard you're supposed to say Birchas Hamazon on the bread crumbs.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:32 pm
rentfan820 wrote:
We recently did construction, and I got sick shortly after movning in. Our old kitchen is now a hallway, and the new addition is our kitchen. I was told that we can't use the space where our old oven was. We have to build a 12 inch high platform there. It's going to look ridiculous. Any ideas?

It is not unusual to become ill after a stressful event. Moving is stressful.
Renovation is stressful.

If your illness is mild and has lasted 2 weeks or less, you will get better on your own.

If your illness is severe or has lasted more than 3 weeks, see a doctor.

Make bookshelves. Add seforim. Just have a sealed bottom.
I don't think you need any platform as I don't believe in shadim, however, do you think they'd attack a Sefer?

rentfan820

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:59 pm
I got sick with a rare auto-immune disease about a month and a half after moving back into our house. It took maybe almost 2 months until I finally got a diagnosis. The origin of the rule against moving an oven (and a related rule about not closing off a window or door, by the way) is the "will" of Rav Yehuda Hachasid.

A rebetzin that I am very close with asked her Rav a sheilah for me, and this is the answer she received. First, many rabbis hold that the rule doesn't apply to our current ovens. The ovens were very different back at the time he Rav Yehuda Hachasid (obviously, because it was centuries ago), and the opinion not to move ovens only applies to those old ovens. The other thing I was told is that you can put a small piece of furniture there. She knows someone that had an oversize tzedakah box where they once had an oven. So I decided that I am not going to freak out, and I put a small cabinet there, with a tzedakah box on top. Now it is a space for doing mitzvahs.

rentfan820

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:55 am
Skerz, I didn't do breadcrumbs ( my dog would eat them up), but I have been saying Asher Yatzar there. Last night we started to hear weird noises - like a few random thuds, and maybe even a door closing? What sounds did you hear?

marina

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:36 am
rentfan820 wrote:
Skerz, I didn't do breadcrumbs ( my dog would eat them up), but I have been saying Asher Yatzar there. Last night we started to hear weird noises - like a few random thuds, and maybe even a door closing? What sounds did you hear?

It's the sheidim from the oven getting together with the bathroom demons to make babies. I hear they love breadcrumbs.

Good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics