Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Customs law from Italy to ny

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 7:27 pm
Is anyone familiar with the U.S. custom laws on clothing. I ship all the time from London and never got charged for import taxes. Now I shopped by a different website based out of Italy and I was offered free shipping so I took it and now I get my package with a bill of $160 in fees.

I called up and they said that if you take the free shipping option then you have to pay the taxes but if you pay $20 for shipping then they ship it another way and you don't pay taxes. Also I did research and if the item is under $200 then there is no import tax.

So here is my question:
1. Is there a way that I can fight this charge because I ordered four items but each item was way below $200. I asked and they claimed that it's the total value of the package which is crazy because I would have shipped each item separately had I known.

2. Also how do I know that there really was a tax charge they are not showing me any proof ups is claiming that they loading and I have to pay ups back.

3. Is there any way that I can get my money back?

Thanks for your help.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, May 13 2015, 8:49 pm
Anyone?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 11:15 am
The only way to get your package is to pay US Postal Service. From your post, I don't know whether you paid them and got your package.

That you could have had the items shipped in four separate packages is not a successful argument with US Customs since the package had a declared value of $800 which is above the threshold for having a duty tariff imposed.

The procedure you are outlining is correct as the US Postal Service collects on behalf of US Customs.

In my experience, receiving packages from abroad is somewhat of a **** shoot as I have no idea why Customs will decide to open one package and yet not another. But in my experience ordering from abroad, sometimes it happens. If you paid, you received a form which has instructions on how to appeal. I don't know anyone who has appealed successfully and if your sole basis is that each item was worth less than $200, don't even bother because it's the total value of the package - just like when you fly in from abroad, you are allowed to bring in a certain amount duty free.

I don't know what the website means by sending it by an alternative more expensive way. Some people say that Fedex packages are less likely to be stopped by Customs because they have their own system but I would ask the supplier.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 4:56 pm
The thing is they came to my door with no receipt ups just claimed that they paid the bill and I owe them. I told them to give me proof that they paid and the driver told me to call ups. I called and they first said it takes ten days for them to send me a receipt and the second time I called a representative told me that ups didn't pay yet but they are going to pay on May 18. Does that make any sense at all? I'm thinking that there was no customs tax and ups is trying to bill me. two days ago on the radio I heard someone say that ups was sued for made up charges and employees testified that they are told to tack on extra charges if they could. Why shouldn't I have a receipt or a proof that customs was indeed paid. when I told ups to email me a receipt they just sent me a bill stating what I owe with no proof whatsoever that ups paid customs.

I have shipped many times with aramax and never ever was I charged such a high fee so how do I find out if this charge is legitimate?

Amarante

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 8:44 pm
Do they let you take the package without paying amounts due?

I have no personal experience with UPS as all of my packages have gone through the US Mail Service. The postman won't deliver the package unless they are paid and it is very clear that the amount is due to Customs as the paperwork is attached.

Fedex and UPS probably have a completely different system.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics