Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can I ask how much someone paid for their house?
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:01 pm
Maybe this is a stupid question but, do you mind people asking you how much you paid for your house? Is it a secret, like how much your salary is? We are looking to buy and a few people bought in the area we are looking at and I want to know how much they paid. Is it okay to ask them?

Stars

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:01 pm
Uh, no.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:04 pm
No!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:06 pm
Ok, thanx, I won't ask them! It's public record, does anyone know what website I can see what the houses in that area are being sold for?

questioner

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:08 pm
zillow.com

musicmom

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:10 pm
You pay more if it is in top shape and less if it is a fixer upper. What it was like when bought is not necessarily what it is like now, maybe people bought for less and did lots of home improvements. Even if you looked up what people paid, it is not necessarily what the home is worth now.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:11 pm
questioner wrote:
zillow.com

Thank you!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:14 pm
musicmom wrote:
You pay more if it is in top shape and less if it is a fixer upper. What it was like when bought is not necessarily what it is like now, maybe people bought for less and did lots of home improvements. Even if you looked up what people paid, it is not necessarily what the home is worth now.

Your right, but this is a new area people are moving to and I just want the average price for houses there to see if it's doable for us. I'm looking at zillow and it's giving me a good perspective.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:16 pm
Look at actual sold prices, zillow's estimates are off. (When we were buying our house, day by day zillow estimated it for less and less by a lot each day. It was actually comical.)

And yes, it's all public record.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:21 pm
If it's a new area that frum people are starting to move to, they very often want more frum people to move there. So I would call some people who are already there, just to ask general info. They may tell you what the houses are going for, or you may be able to ask during the conversation. Don't ask how much they themselves paid, but you can definitely ask if they know how much the houses in the neighborhood are selling for.

das

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:24 pm
I think its a matter of public record and can be easily found out.

sourstix

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:29 pm
no. go to zillow.com. its a private issue noone likes to divulge. iot is public so go ahead but above poster said it right you can ask how much the houses are going for approximatley. and the real estate agents are the best bet.

Last edited by sourstix on Thu, May 14 2015, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

MrsDash

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe this is a stupid question but, do you mind people asking you how much you paid for your house? Is it a secret, like how much your salary is? We are looking to buy and a few people bought in the area we are looking at and I want to know how much they paid. Is it okay to ask them?

Maybe don't ask about their specific home, but as a general inquery it's definitely okay. People ask me how much the homes are where I live and I gladly tell them, because it's affordable and having more members in this community is exciting. Smile

causemommysaid

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:37 pm
I am very private about our finances but our house price is one thing I never hide. It's public record and anyone can find out in two minutes if they wanted.

It's a little rude to ask directly but asking in general what the house in the neighborhood go for is not rude. Usually the response will be "a fixer upper goes for x, an updated for y, and an extended house for z"

Besides the county should have a website where you can get exact numbers.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 12:43 pm
Thank you all!!!

mommyhood

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:41 pm
I have found that people are open about the cost of their houses, at least in my neighborhood. I wouldn't share how much my mortgage is since that depends on down payment etc which is more personal but if someone is in the parsha of buying a home I would definitely share how much my house cost.

OneSource

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 1:55 pm
First off, it's a public record as many above have already said. Secondly, if you really want to know w/o being potentially offensive, just look up their address on ACRIS.NYC.GOV (if in the 5 boroughs) and go to 'find addresses and parcels.' Once you have the block and lot number, do a document search and you can see what the sale price was based on the recorded deed. You can also see how much they put down because banks file a mortgage statement here as well so an amount borrowed is open for public viewing. Because this information is available to anyone with a computer, I never lie or act offended if someone asks how much I paid for my house. If they really want to know and I don't tell them, they can go look it up anyway.

Socially, it's probably more offensive to ask how much their monthly mortgage payments are because that's more personal (imo) than what homes go for, what sort of mortgage rates they were quoted, property taxes in their area, etc.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 2:07 pm
Ask them what they saw when they were in the market, and any advice or tips they have for you.
You can ask if there was much in your budget, but don't ask what their budget was.

amother
Gold

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 2:10 pm
I didn't read everyone's responses but this is public information. You can search the address online and it will come up with the amount it was sold for on x date. Smile

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 10:41 pm
I've had multiple people ask me how much we paid for our house. I've also had people ask about our mortgage. I personally would never ask such a question, but the more people ask, the less rude it's starting to seem.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics