Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
3 yo so weak & skinny from flu/strept/virus/ear infection

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 7:03 pm
DS had a very hard few months and I'm so worried for him. He went through flu, strept, an ear infection and now a very tough stomach virus in a span of 2 1/2 months. He is so pale and irritable and thin. I need help and ideas on how to get his immunity up and how to get him back to his strength and his good old self...

He has no appetite. I tried pedialyte for 2 days as per my doctors recommendation but he hates the taste. He wouldnt even eat it as an ices. Basically all he wants is yogurts, apple juice and a little milk here and there. Everything else is a fight.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 7:07 pm
Give him probiotics daily. Zahlers makes a good liquid one.

Ashrei

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 7:39 pm
I'm so sorry to hear about your DS! Sad Sad
First of all, if you're in Brooklyn, you should definitely call the Health Pantry. Shimon there is a wealth of knowledge, and he's going to school to be a certified... something, I forgot. (Naturopath?) He will sell you tons of vitamins that will help.
2 of my kids got strep 3 times in a row, and I felt they were getting it again, so rather than go back to the doctor for more antibiotics, I called a natural-minded friend and asked her what she does for strep. I took her suggestions to Shimon who ramped it up a little with good quality bioavailable versions of the vitamins. Below is an email I sent to a friend who was in a similar situation and asked me what I did. I hope you can glean some insight. It must be awful to see him sick like this! Be'ezras Hashem, you are getting him stronger and healthier every day. Hatzlacha rabba and refuah shleimah!

1. Vitamin C. 250mg at a time spaced a few hours apart and given throughout the day. I gave them Vitamin C with Pantethenic Acid as per Shimon's recommendation. Dynamic Health brand.

2. Kyolic dosage on bottle mixed with grape juice. I bought disposable dosing cups. The kyolic just about covered the bottom of the cup and I filled the rest with grape juice.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....psc=1

Important: The kyolic should be taken every 4 hours and on a full stomach.

3. zinc (actually I think I got this from someone on imamother) 22mg solgar (Meir likes the taste of Flavo-Zinc from solgar) the tablets I'd crush and mix with apple sauce.

4. Probiotics - Our doctor recommends Cultrelle. Meir likes the chewable, otherwise they have powder that mixes with anything and is flavorless. There is no hechsher on cultrelle - Shimon could recommend something else.

5. Echinacea - Shimon recommended this echinacae blend, I forgot the brand.

6. Sambucol (from someone on imamother)

7. Colloidol silver (kills pathogins) (from a great shabbos guest)

Aside from the vitamin protocols, I also:
- Stopped the use of all hand towels. We put paper towels in the bathrooms.
- No sharing towels after baths.
- Strict on no sharing cups or eating from each other's plates.
- CUT ALL REFINED SUGAR AND DAIRY. And this was just around Purim too, but pretty much everything went in the trash. Honey and other unrefined sugars are okay. Only now I'm starting to bake with organic white sugar again...

It took a few weeks to really see improvements and I was nervous a few times in the interim - that I should go back to the doctor, etc. But I knew they would just give more antibiotics or have us consider a tonsilectomy. There were no answers there. But with minor relapses I felt they were overall getting stronger. Akiva and Naomi's temperature might have gone up two to three times during the 2 weeks when I was doing this, but the fever didn't last. It would go down by itself and they would feel fine. He'd complain about his throat hurting, but that also wouldn't last. Little complaints here and there, but the overall trend was towards healing and improvement.

Nerve racking! But I'm glad we did this. I hope this advice can help you. The Health Pantry: 718-475-9113

Hatzlacha Rabba and refuah shleimah!

(PS: Incidentally DC 2 got strep just once without any symptoms. I credit his diet. He munches on peppers, carrots, nuts, fresh fruit, and he loves taking his vitamins! I could take a page out of DC2's book!)

smss

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 8:02 pm
Ashrei wrote:

4. Probiotics - Our doctor recommends Cultrelle. Meir likes the chewable, otherwise they have powder that mixes with anything and is flavorless. There is no hechsher on cultrelle - Shimon could recommend something else.

Great post. Re the Culturelle, the CRC says the kids' chewables and packets are OK without a hechsher. http://www.crcweb.org/OTCMedicineReport.pdf

Culturelle only has one strain of probiotics though...some say you should look for more like 6-10 strains.

Ashrei

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 8:06 pm
smss wrote:
Great post. Re the Culturelle, the CRC says the kids' chewables and packets are OK without a hechsher. http://www.crcweb.org/OTCMedicineReport.pdf

Culturelle only has one strain of probiotics though...some say you should look for more like 6-10 strains.

Thanks for the feedback and input- I should ask the doctor why she likes that brand at the next visit.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, May 14 2015, 9:26 pm
op here, excuse my ignorance but probiotics is to boost immunity?

oliveoil

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 4:00 am
Ashrei wrote:
He will sell you tons of vitamins that will help.

I don't know the first thing about this guy, but always be wary of anyone who will try to sell you "tons" of vitamins. It is NOT good to take too many - this is proven.

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 8:51 pm
Please take your son to an ENT. My ds had same symptoms and problems with appetite. He had his tonsils removed and immediately started gaining weight, did not have so many infections and is bh doing great😊

mandr

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:05 pm
Sambucol (I wonder if PP heard that from me Wink ) I am a very big fan of it. First of all, it tastes DELICIOUS. Really. It reminds me of how the kids swallow medicine in Mary Poppins! It's an excellent immune booster made of elderberries It can be taken regularly. When you feel you're getting sick, take it more often and it staves off potential colds and things like that.

Probiotics is a must. Also easy to give. I buy the chewables for my toddler and he loves it. Devours a tablet in a few seconds. Best given between meals (or 2 hours after a meal or 1/2 hour before a meal). This way it doesn't get mixed up with the meals and become less effective.

Agree with PP about taking too many vitamins. The body doesn't need to be overloaded with stuff you can anyway get in good, healthy foods. Fruits should take over the vitamin C, for example.

Make fruit smoothies in the morning and serve as a breakfast replacement if he doesn't want to eat any foods, or as a breakfast "dessert". Blend berries that have lots of antioxidants (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries). You can buy a frozen bag and blend those to make it easier. Mix in a yogurt too.

Hatzlocha. I know exactly what you feel like because my son had a phase like that from 12-15 months. Pneumonia, ear infection, colds, a stomach bug and TEETHING! He wasn't happy for months. Sounds crazy, but what helped him was.... a few days in sunny Florida Smile Seriously. It's not just for the geriatrics. But either way, we keep up with fruit smoothies and probiotics daily these days to prevent those illnesses from coming back.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics