Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Freundel sentenced to ... 6.5 years
1  2  Next

doctorima

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 5:59 pm
http://forward.com/news/breaki.....ping/

45 days for each of the 52 counts of voyeurism to which he pleaded guilty (the DA asked for 4 months per count, for a total of 17 1/3 years). Too much, too little, about right? Discuss...

Last edited by doctorima on Fri, May 15 2015, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 6:44 pm
I'm pleased. At least SOME small modicum of justice will be served. What a disgrace...

Mevater

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 7:02 pm
Not enough! While in jail, he deserves the same treatment he gave the women, invasion of privacy when hes behind closed doors. Sicko.

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 7:02 pm
Actually, the more I think about it....I spoke too soon. He should have gotten a longer sentence. I'm so angry at what he did.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 8:53 pm
It doesn't say if he's given any credit for time served. If he is a good boy in prison he'll get out in 4 maybe 5 years.

grace413

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 2:52 pm
Better than nothing but not enough.

November

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 5:25 pm
His career is ruined, probably his family/social life is ruined.

Mevater

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:04 pm
November wrote:

Do I detect pity for HIM?

Imho, if anyone is to be pitied, its his wife and kids.

The Happy Wife

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:11 pm
Not long enough, in my opinion.

shev143

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:31 pm
Mevater, not much of a Mevater after all.

yenny

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 10:40 pm
Mevater wrote:
Do I detect pity for HIM?

Imho, if anyone is to be pitied, its his wife and kids.
[quote]
I dont think she pitied him. I think she meant to say that at least he got a long term punishment.

SRS

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:03 pm
Saying his career is ruined etc, etc is very passive. How about we be more accurate? HE ruined his career. HE ruined his family. But if you read the reports, you will learn that he is teaching Torah still which is mind-blowing.

Mevater

Post Sat, May 16 2015, 11:08 pm
shev143 wrote:
Mevater, not much of a Mevater after all.

Absolutely correct.

Only an Achzor could have done what he did, taking advantage of his esteemed position, seemingly cloaked in Torah, doing a despicable act, and giving Jews a bad name throughout the world.

Kol Ha'merachem al Ha'Achzoriyim, Sofo L'HisAchzer al Harachmoniyim.

Liebs

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:57 am
He's just an addict, what do you want?!

LOL! (Of course deserves jail time but hopefully he'll get recovery in jail and come out clean or else belongs off the streets for a lot longer!)

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:24 am
November wrote:

http://www.jta.org/2015/05/12/.....nters

"In arguing for a more lenient sentence, the defense memo points out that ... Freundel has resumed some rabbinic teaching – leading classes by phone on Sundays and Tuesdays, and convening a small Torah-study group on Shabbat"

How precisely that is a reason for leniency I'm not clear ...

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:07 am
I believe what he did was despicable, on par with rape, in a way even worse because the victims weren't even allowed to know they were victims. So I believe he deserves every day in jail.
But I'm puzzled by one thing. If anyone is an addict, it's this guy, and yet everyone holds him accountable on every level. No one said, he's sick, it's an addiction, his wife should ride it through till he gets treatment. And yet that's what is said here all the time to the wives of addicts.
I get that this Freundel took his addiction to a whole new level, and it's a crime with real victims. But IMO many forms of s$xual addiction have victims - the wife, the children, the exploited women who ended up as harlots.
Guess I dont see why Freundel is labelled morally evil and other s$x addicts (the ones who go live) are just labelled sick and needing help.

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:20 am
Tablepoetry wrote:
I believe what he did was despicable, on par with rape, in a way even worse because the victims weren't even allowed to know they were victims. So I believe he deserves every day in jail.
But I'm puzzled by one thing. If anyone is an addict, it's this guy, and yet everyone holds him accountable on every level. No one said, he's sick, it's an addiction, his wife should ride it through till he gets treatment. And yet that's what is said here all the time to the wives of addicts.
I get that this Freundel took his addiction to a whole new level, and it's a crime with real victims. But IMO many forms of s$xual addiction have victims - the wife, the children, the exploited women who ended up as harlots.
Guess I dont see why Freundel is labelled morally evil and other s$x addicts (the ones who go live) are just labelled sick and needing help.

I guess b/c beyond the s-xual abuse, there was also an abuse of power here - and even worse, of religious authority and a betrayal of sacred trust which makes it so much more painful for some of the victims.

November

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:24 am
[quote="yenny"]
Quote:

I dont think she pitied him. I think she meant to say that at least he got a long term punishment.

No way! I don't see how you could detect pity. Thx Yenny for seeing this. Yes, he ruined his reputation, his career, his family. Nothing passive about it. Legally will he spend enough time in jail to make up for what he did? Certainly not. He might even get off for good behavior. But hopefully there will be social repercussions that will be felt much much longer. That was what I meant.

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 8:25 am
He is smart guy despite doing stupid things. I think he is going to land on his feet like Saul Wachtler and Ken Gribitz. He will likely publish a book and make his assets unreachable by his creditors if he hasn't already. He has charisma. He will exploit the public shame some how.

I don't understand why he is religiously divorced but still married secularly. I haven't heard that he is disbarred either. It was obvious that he was a player before his downfall. He had that attitude of notice me I am powerful.

Liebs

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 8:35 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

He can be morally evil and an addict at the same time. Addict doesnt excuse a/t. He just needs help if he doesn't want to do it again. If someone is addicted and he's brilliant...he'll seem so stupid because his addiction pushed him to do such pathetic behaviour because he was so drunk. But doesn't excuse. There are many addicts in jail. If they transgressed the law they get jail time whether addiction or not. Being with a harlot is not against the law. You pay a fee and get service. It's not illegal to cheat on your wife either.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics