Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Freundel sentenced to ... 6.5 years
Previous  1  2

Tablepoetry

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:21 am
Liebs wrote:
He can be morally evil and an addict at the same time. Addict doesnt excuse a/t. He just needs help if he doesn't want to do it again. If someone is addicted and he's brilliant...he'll seem so stupid because his addiction pushed him to do such pathetic behaviour because he was so drunk. But doesn't excuse. There are many addicts in jail. If they transgressed the law they get jail time whether addiction or not. Being with a harlot is not against the law. You pay a fee and get service. It's not illegal to cheat on your wife either.

As an aside...isn't it illegal in the US to go to a harlot? Or did I misunderstand?

marina

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:23 am
Liebs wrote:
He can be morally evil and an addict at the same time. Addict doesnt excuse a/t. He just needs help if he doesn't want to do it again. If someone is addicted and he's brilliant...he'll seem so stupid because his addiction pushed him to do such pathetic behaviour because he was so drunk. But doesn't excuse. There are many addicts in jail. If they transgressed the law they get jail time whether addiction or not. Being with a harlot is not against the law. You pay a fee and get service. It's not illegal to cheat on your wife either.

In 99% of America it is illegal.

marina

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:23 am
imasoftov wrote:
http://www.jta.org/2015/05/12/news-opinion/united-states/new-details-show-mikvah-peeping-rabbi-had-extramarital-s-xual-encounters

"In arguing for a more lenient sentence, the defense memo points out that ... Freundel has resumed some rabbinic teaching – leading classes by phone on Sundays and Tuesdays, and convening a small Torah-study group on Shabbat"

How precisely that is a reason for leniency I'm not clear ...

Who is coming to these classes? WHO?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:37 am
marina wrote:

Other voyeurs and nishgudnicks?

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 9:46 am
marina wrote:

The same people who will buy his book, go to his lectures, watch his made for TV movie, watch him on talk shows and be his client.

Petra

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 12:14 pm
Jail doesn't seem a fitting punishment. And especially not 6.5 years. I think the only punishment that he'll get worthy of his crimes will come from Hashem himself.

SRS

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 12:54 pm
Petra wrote:
Jail doesn't seem a fitting punishment. And especially not 6.5 years. I think the only punishment that he'll get worthy of his crimes will come from Hashem himself.

While it would be nice to rehab people in this world through a fitting punishment, I think of punishment as primarily a means to protect the rest of the population. Hashem will met out justice in the world to come, but now mikvah users can be assured that the secular world takes the crime seriously enough to not fall for a plea of community service.

imasoftov

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:53 pm
marina wrote:

Good question.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics