Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Do you buy or make your own cheese cake?
1  2  3  Next

Do you make your own cheese cake or buy it?
I make it  
 69%  [ 142 ]
Buy it  
 14%  [ 29 ]
I make it because it's too expensive  
 7%  [ 16 ]
Don't eat cheese cake  
 8%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 205

blueberries

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:11 am
I make my own cheese cake. How much do you pay for a cheese cake if you buy it? What size is it?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:19 am
Cheesecake is really expensive to buy.
KRM actually has a sale on small Stern's cheesecakes that are good. $6 until Tuesday I think. My friend bought some, they look nice.

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:21 am
It freezes so well and is easy to make. Mine always tastes good. It seems silly to me to buy.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:34 am
Cheesecake is so simple to make. The only reason to buy is if I only wanted one slice as a treat lol and didnt want to have the cake around to tempt. A really good cheesecake is super expensive to buy.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 10:48 am
DH makes it!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:09 am
ra_mom wrote:
Cheesecake is really expensive to buy.

It's not cheap to make either, especially if you use really good ingredients (okay, I'm out of town so the stuff, especially cheese is more expensive here). On several occasions I've made 3 cheesecakes for a dessert buffet and spent almost $200 each time.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:11 am
Not to steal the thread -- but you guys can probably advise well. I'll be in Boro Park Friday before Shavuos on the way to Lakewood for Shabbos & Yom Tov. I'd like to bring a cheesecake-type gift to my hosts there. What do you recommend. Preferably not a whole cheesecake; maybe some kind of sampler or speciality item that is in individual pieces. Any recommendations?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:11 am
OOTBubby wrote:
It's not cheap to make either, especially if you use really good ingredients (okay, I'm out of town so the stuff, especially cheese is more expensive here). On several occasions I've made 3 cheesecakes for a dessert buffet and spent almost $200 each time.

Of course it's not cheap. But I still find that I can make 3 cheesecakes for the price of 1 store bought cheesecake.

Maya

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:39 am
I buy. I suck at baking, and the cost doesn't matter to me if it saves me from having to mess around in the kitchen.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:50 am
Maya wrote:
I buy. I suck at baking, and the cost doesn't matter to me if it saves me from having to mess around in the kitchen.

Not that you shouldn't buy but cheesecake is really one of the easiest things to bake well because it really is just a matter of mixing the ingredients properly and then baking in a water bath.

Other baked goods are, IMO, much trickier to do well but cheesecake was one of the first recipes I ever attempted.

The ingredients for cheesecake are expensive. But the cost of real store bought cheesecake made with cheese and butter is also expensive. A 10" Cheesecake Factory cheesecake is about $52 and Juniors is about the same price. I use those those examples because they are made with butter and cheese and not fillers like less expensive cheesecakes and would be equivalent to a homemade cheesecake in terms of ingredients.

Shoshie

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 11:53 am
I bake. IME people sample cheesecake by choosing one with an appealing topping. I use a basic (read: not expensive ingredients) recipe but always make sure it looks fancy.

rachel91

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 12:16 pm
I make it myself, for shvuos and all year round! For shvuos I always try different recipes, though.
During the year, I mostly stick to one recipe with different toppings.

Sanguine

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 1:24 pm

It's not Halacha. You don't have to have cheesecake. You don't have to make it and you don't have to buy it either. It's not like Matza. Cheesecake isn't one of Taryag Mitzvot. It's not even a Chumra.

Having said that. I always make Cheese cake. Since we're having a Chalavi Yontif meal cheesecake is the obvious dessert. My recipe is very very easy. No crust. Not expensive. Just Yummy. Five ingredients and I'm done. If it was harder I'd do away with this "minhag"

coconutbutter

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 1:49 pm
Sanguine wrote:

It's not Halacha. You don't have to have cheesecake. You don't have to make it and you don't have to buy it either. It's not like Matza. Cheesecake isn't one of Taryag Mitzvot. It's not even a Chumra.

Having said that. I always make Cheese cake. Since we're having a Chalavi Yontif meal cheesecake is the obvious dessert. My recipe is very very easy. No crust. Not expensive. Just Yummy. Five ingredients and I'm done. If it was harder I'd do away with this "minhag"

Exact recipe please?

Sanguine

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:16 pm
coconutbutter wrote:
Exact recipe please?

Recipe and what I actually do

2 8 oz. packages cream cheese softened (I use a large Gvina Levana 9%)
2/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
Now since I use Gvina Levana instead of cream cheese it needs about 4T cornstarch - or potato starch on Pesach. Maybe drop more too))

Cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix till lemon colored (If you have to, you can do it all by hand))

Pour into greased 9 inch pie plate (or 9 inch Square) (or large round pan)

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes (or more if not solid)

Just what I promised.

But there's a topping that's very easy too and I usually do it cause DH likes it... This is after the cake is baked

1 cup sour cream (any % I use 2 Shamenet)
1/2 teasp vanilla
4 tsp sugar

mix together

Cool cake for 20 minutes
Pour topping on top
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes

Cool for 6 hours in fridge before serving (not sure if I do that)

It won't win the fancy cake prize but it's cheap, simple and yummy

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 2:19 pm
you guys are making me hungry. I may need to avoid imamother till after shavuos.

zaq

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:14 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Of course it's not cheap. But I still find that I can make 3 cheesecakes for the price of 1 store bought cheesecake.

especially if you buy the ingredients ahead of time as they go on sale.

November

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:21 pm
Sanguine wrote:
Recipe and what I actually do

2 8 oz. packages cream cheese softened (I use a large Gvina Levana 9%)
2/3 C sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
Now since I use Gvina Levana instead of cream cheese it needs about 4T cornstarch - or potato starch on Pesach. Maybe drop more too))

Cream cheese and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix till lemon colored (If you have to, you can do it all by hand))

Pour into greased 9 inch pie plate (or 9 inch Square) (or large round pan)

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes (or more if not solid)

Just what I promised.

But there's a topping that's very easy too and I usually do it cause DH likes it... This is after the cake is baked

1 cup sour cream (any % I use 2 Shamenet)
1/2 teasp vanilla
4 tsp sugar

mix together

Cool cake for 20 minutes
Pour topping on top
Bake at 375 for 10 minutes

Cool for 6 hours in fridge before serving (not sure if I do that)

It won't win the fancy cake prize but it's cheap, simple and yummy

That looks perfect to me, Sanguine. I hope to try out this recipe. Thank you!

Sanguine

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:38 pm
November wrote:
That looks perfect to me, Sanguine. I hope to try out this recipe. Thank you!
Now I feel so much pressure. I'm responsible for everyone's Yontif cheesecake I dont want to see

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:55 pm
zaq wrote:
especially if you buy the ingredients ahead of time as they go on sale.
Thumbs Up
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics