Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
1% vs 3% milk
1  2  Next

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 3:47 pm
I used to always buy 3% milk for my kids and 1% for me and DH, but for the past few months haven't bothered with the 3% and just give 1% to everyone.

Is this bad for my kids? They are ages 3 - 12

srbmom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:03 pm
my ped actually told me that everyone in our home over age 2 should be drinking fat free milk.
I'm sure there are different opinions, but unless someone is having trouble gaining weight, I definitely don't see how this would be bad.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:12 pm
I've never heard of 3% milk. Is it similar to 1 or 2%?
I think it's better to give whole milk to kids. A little fat is good for growing kids.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:15 pm
3% milk is just normal whole milk. I agree; no low-fat milk for kids.

Soft-pedal sugar and keep the kids active, I would say, and the rest is genetics. Butter won't hurt them.

Milk is just a little butter shaken up in some water, with milk sugar (lactose) and trace minerals.

The Happy Wife

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:27 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
3% milk is just normal whole milk.

Whoops, I didn't realize. I never heard it called that.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:34 pm
I don't think it's called that much. But that's what it comes down to.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:35 pm
I should add that milk has protein. I made it sound as if it just had fat and sugar.

Milk is very good for young mammals. But you knew that.

Yogurt is easier to digest.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:41 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Milk is just a little butter shaken up in some water, with milk sugar (lactose) and trace minerals.

You've got that backwards. Butter is made from milk, which for most human purposes comes from a cow. It is the congealed fats from milk which make butter.

For the purposes of this convo I'll readily admit my kids never drank cows milk, simply because they were not baby cows and they could get that nutrition from other sources.

sequoia

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:42 pm
Goat milk is better.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:46 pm
sequoia wrote:
Goat milk is better.

When I was nursing and my milk would slow down, my ped told me to use goats milk. It makes a stinky diaper but is nutritionally close to human milk. On the farm, well that's all the milk we had, and although none of us were milk drinkers we used it for yogurt, cheese making and cooking.

OOTforlife

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:57 pm
We buy only whole milk. As a matter of personal preference, I dislike most "reduced fat" products.

ETA: we were told definitely whole milk for kids under 2. After that, no directions.

Last edited by OOTforlife on Sun, May 17 2015, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

simchat

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:59 pm
Growing up, we always drank only full fat milk. Maybe it`s a European thing? Regardless, I buy only 3%, for kids AND adults, as I believe it to be the healthiest - we drink a lot of water too. That said, none of us have a weight issue, so this might not work for everyone.

simchat

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:00 pm
ootforlife, I`m the exact same way!

water_bear88

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:00 pm
Whole milk is 3-4%- I think it depends on the cows. In Israel only 1% and 3% are widely available.

smss

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:40 pm
I would just buy the 3% for everyone in your family.

http://www.thehealthyhomeecono.....-and/

etky

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:18 am
We were told that after age 2 lower fat (not fat free though) is preferable.
In Israel milk is referred to by the percentage of fat that it contains.
As Water Bear said 3% and 1% are the most commonly available. Some of the 'specialty milks' are 2%.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 4:08 am
Yes I heard that since the whole 'saturated fat is bad for you' thing turned out to be a big mistake, 3% is actually better for everyone. Plus, it tasted delicious!

queenert

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 5:02 am
I was just wondering about this...why is lower fat BAD for under-2s?
Maybe not as good because they need the fat but bad? Is this because peds assume most kids between 1 and 2 are weaned and they do need the nutrition?
If I'm still nursing and dd really just drinks water is it bad if she also drinks some 1%?

gp2.0

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:15 am
queenert wrote:
I was just wondering about this...why is lower fat BAD for under-2s?
Maybe not as good because they need the fat but bad? Is this because peds assume most kids between 1 and 2 are weaned and they do need the nutrition?
If I'm still nursing and dd really just drinks water is it bad if she also drinks some 1%?

Because fat is very important for developing brains. If your DD mostly drinks water and low fat milk but gets fat from other sources like cheese and chicken and avocado that's fine. Because some kids are very picky and only eat jelly sandwiches or whatever, the doctors push whole milk just in case, figuring that most kids like milk because they're used to drinking it.

nylon

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 8:47 am
3% is Israeli whole milk, American is 3.5 (yes, Israeli cows give lower fat milk! it's because they have been bred to maximize production)

I think this craze for giving kids skim milk has gone too far. It tastes awful, there's no real evidence that it makes a huge difference for weight, and it doesn't fill the kids. 1% isn't so terrible, but I prefer to give my kids whole. Now some peds are saying lower fat milk for kids between 1 and 2 and it's all about obesity potential. I'm still waiting on actual evidence. I don't do paleo or Atkins or fad diets, but I remember the fat free nutsiness of the 80s and how well that worked. We all had skim milk and Snackwells and disgusting diet margarine and none of it worked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics