Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Vegetable side dish

blueberrypie

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:30 pm
Any ideas for an easy, light vegetable side dish for a meat meal (not quiche, little if any oil, etc)-besides salad? I'm already feeling full just thinking about all the meals we're having!TIA!

sbs

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:32 pm
how about broccoli kugel,

I take a bag of chopped broccoli, mix in an egg or two, some mayonnaise and spices

either make big ones,

I make them in muffin tins, so it's individual portions

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:35 pm
Roasted asparagus or string beans. I have a great string bean recipe roasted with some garlic, sesame oil and honey if you are interested.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, May 17 2015, 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

blueberrypie

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 4:38 pm
Can you post the string bean recipe? Thanks

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:14 pm
This is a Cooks Illustrated recipe. It's one of my favorites. I like to eat as a nosh when there are leftovers.

I will give you the recipe but I have these suggestions

Definitely line the pan with heavy duty foil because cleaning roasted honey is not something I want to do.

I double the coating - it's not a sauce but I find that the original amount wasn't enough to nicely coat. Recipe of course easily doubles or triples depending on how many you are feeding.

I do the ginger and garlic in my little mini food processor. It can be done ahead of time and then stored in a little container in the fridge until ready to make so prep is a breeze. I generally prep the string beans before as well.

I don't bother roasting and then coating. I found my results were fine if I just coated and then roasted them and it was easier then attempting to coat the hot string beans.

Even people who don't normally like veggies, love these.

Roasted Sesame Green Beans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooks Illustrated
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
3 cloves medium garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
1 lb. green beans, stem ends snapped off
1 tablespoon olive oil
Table salt
4 teaspoons sesame seeds (toasted)

Directions:

1. Combine oil, honey, pepper, garlic, and ginger in small bowl; set aside.

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 450 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil; spread beans on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil; using hands, toss to coat evenly. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt, toss to coat, and distribute in even layer. Roast 10 minutes.

3. Remove baking sheet from oven. Using tongs, coat beans evenly with garlic/ginger mixture; redistribute in even layer. Continue roasting until dark golden brown in spots and starting to shrivel, 10 to 12 minutes longer.

4. Adjust seasoning with salt and and toss well to combine. Transfer to serving dish, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.

srbmom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:18 pm
I love both these recipes from Overtime cook

Herb Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Roasted Green Beans with Onion Garlic

edited to fix links

Amarante

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:21 pm
I don't know what the rest of your menu is like but this recipe is also an excellent veggie side. It's tasty at room temperature or slightly chilled as well so it can be made ahead of time. It easily doubles or triples as well.

Summer Vegetable Melange
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Bon Apetit
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves, garlic minced
1/4 cup olive oil
2 medium zucchini, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
1 medium yellow squash, rinsed and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from about 2 ears)
2 tomatoes (about 3/4 pound), cut into 1/2-inch dice
2 tablespoons minced fresh orégano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, shredded

Directions:

In a large deep skillet cook the onion and the garlic in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until the onion is softened, add the zucchini, the yellow squash, the bell pepper, and the corn, and cook the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, the orégano, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer the stew, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Simmer the stew, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more, or until the excess liquid is evaporated, sprinkle it with the basil, and serve it warm or at room temperature.

blueberrypie

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 5:58 pm
The suggestions all sound really good, thanks! I think the green bean with onion garlic gets the award for easiest, but I'm definitely going to keep the other ideas in mind for another time.

srbmom

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:11 pm
Quote:
I think the green bean with onion garlic gets the award for easiest

Definitely super-easy.

and if you want to be really lazy - like me Wink - these are more shortcuts I've used
Use a 2lb bag of frozen cut green beans instead of fresh
dried minced onion instead of fresh
and frozen garlic cubes
- takes about two minutes to get it in the oven

and it freezes really well once cooked

blueberrypie

Post Sun, May 17 2015, 6:16 pm
Great, even better, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes