Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How do you do it with kids erev Shabbos?

Cow

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 4:49 am
I'm trying to work on my erev Shabbos, to make it a better experience for me and the kids. The kids (6, 5 and 4 years old) come home at 12 pm and from then on it's a big disaster - fighting, boredom, etc. The baby's with me all the time, so it's a bit harder to get loads of things done on Friday morning. I'm trying to spread things out during the week and use my freezer to help me.

What activities do you do with the kids erev Shabbos? They need me, but I'm trying to finish cleaning up. Last week I made the house spotless on Thursday night and then by Friday afternoon, there were spills on the floor and messes everywhere, BH, but very frustrating...

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 4:52 am
Special Erev Shabbos game or toy.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 5:20 am
Erev Shabbes is our once a week major video time. They are looking forward to it!

SingALong

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:47 am
I have a cleaning lady Friday afternoon for 2 hours. It's the only way I can manage. Even so, I need to keep kuds out of her way so she can clean. Last Friday I took to kuds to a car wash. 45 minute outing. I sometimes go to the park. These long Friday afternoons it's hard to keep the house clean with all kuds home, even I we go outside to play. In bad weather I let them watch a video. Now in the nice weather I can also give them arts and crafts to do on the porch, so house still stays clean. You can save an errand like target, Walmart or last minute grocery to take them out so theyre not messing up the house then.

sitting

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:32 pm
def a video. thats my bribe for when showered and changed is a special fri video with kugal or potatoes as "snack". try to forget the spotless house. or give kids baby wipes to help clean up. 6 yr old can put out candles....5 and 4 can wipe down the dining room chairs...kitchen closet fronts etc....

mha3484

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 1:47 pm
My 4.5 year old has shabbos jobs. We do a muktzah hunt and look for noisy toys, he checks the lights, sometimes I have him tear paper towels or open diapers. He likes feeling big and helpful.

teddyb

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:12 pm
in the winter videos.
in the summer outside play + videos after their bath.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:57 pm
You try to have it all done by the time they come home from school. Pace yourself, do things Thurs, and some early Friday morning if you have to. Then when they come home from school you could take them OUT, and the house stays clean!!

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 10:07 pm
On Friday I make sure the house is clean and the house is all set. The kids come home, eat lunch, and then we go out. We go a lot to different parks, the water, beach, zoo......

sourstix

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 10:13 pm
I make sure ds either goes outside or listens to a tape, as I have alot of story tapes. of the plays. but no videos. I let him eat something and send him to his room to play. I let that room be messy and clean right before shabbis. I do have dh help me in controlling the mess. its not easy. sometimes we get out of hand and it gets nerve wracking.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 10:56 pm
house should be clean, laundry all done, food all cooked and table set by thursday night. Even with all tasks out of the way, it is hard to keep house under control when everyone is home. Never cook on Fridays. Not even macaroni for lunch. The pot has to get washed .... only use disposables on fri and put a plastic table cloth on your kitchen table that can be thrown out with all the garbage. Try to take kids out ... target, library, let them choose shabbos nosh at the grocery, park .... this way,the house is staying clean all the hours you are out. Most important, thank Hashem for the mess .... it's part of having kids. If you are having important guests for shabbos hire a cleaning lady for friday afternoon.

Lady Bug

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 11:31 pm
Yes to the others - I prepare EVERYTHING before the kids come, even down to setting the lights. If possible (depending on the outing ) I'll I'll even dress everyone diagnostic.shabbosdig. Then we go out until right before shabbos starts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note