Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
British style fried gefilte fish balls from a log?

Miri1

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:07 pm
Would you just defrost and roll, or would you add in anything?
Can they be frozen?
TIA!

boysrus

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:42 pm
a couple of pointers:

if you do this, dont add anything , just defrost, then make into balls and fry. if it is way too loose, add a bit of matza meal.

I actually dont recomend it. British fishballs are nowhere near as sweet usually as the gefilte fish logs. Last time I tried this my family all disliked it. Unless you are American, then it should be okay for your taste buds;)

You can definitely freeze it.
I f you want a real recipe for fishballs, just ask, any British member of imamother will be able to advise!

myself

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:45 pm
You can also simply slice while semi-frozen and fry slices rather than balls. In the UK many people use the logs however I think they're not as sweet as the American gefilte logs.

Just wondering, are fishballs British? Confused

boysrus

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 2:54 pm
myself wrote:
You can also simply slice while semi-frozen and fry slices rather than balls. In the UK many people use the logs however I think they're not as sweet as the American gefilte logs.

Just wondering, are fishballs British? Confused

Fishballs are definitely European, dont know about british. They dont exist in the USA, at least not wehre I live which admittedly is not NY and apparently you can gett everything in NY Wink

You are right, I think the UK made gefilte fish logs are not as sweet, even so they are still sweeter in my experience than most regular fried fishball recipes.

AlwaysThinking

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 3:55 pm
Yes I've done that, found it needed one egg and some matzo meal. Yum.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 4:49 pm
To be honest, I don't know how sweet American gef is, so can't compare an apple to an apple. Most of us use minced fish that comes in a tub, or ask fishmonger for ground mix. It is definitely sweet to my taste. Many delis have sweet version and savory version for that reason. You should be able to defrost and just roll and fry, though in reality, it doesn't stick that well. (I usually make non-sweet fish balls in tomato sauce, Sephardi style, so can speak from my own experience). If this is the case, you add 1 egg and 2tbsp matzo meal as binders.

Raisin

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 6:05 pm
I do it the whole time. I use the british made gefilta fish logs usually, though ive used american ones and not noticed a difference.

Either I defrost, roll into balls or patties and fry, or I might throw in some extra matza meal.

Maybe its not exactly the same as the ones my mother used to make - she got minced fish from the fishmonger, but I don't have a kosher fishmonger here and the one time I tried to make gefilta fish from scratch (using my food processor) was not super successful.

Everyone likes my fried gefilta fish although americans are often baffled and I need to explain what it is.

Mrs Bissli, ive never seen minced fish in a tub. Where do you buy that?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:08 pm
Hyman's chopped fish mix. It doesn't have any additives and usually less expensive than logs.
http://www.justkosher.co.uk/de.....art=t

Miri1

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:53 pm
Thanks everyone!

I have to make them gluten free as well... has anyone tried it with the non genbrok logs? Do you think I'd need an egg if I can't add matzah meal?

Raisin

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 3:01 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Hyman's chopped fish mix. It doesn't have any additives and usually less expensive than logs.
http://www.justkosher.co.uk/de.....art=t

honestly never noticed it. I will try and get hold of that.

Miri I have made them with pesachdik gefilta fish logs and not added anything. Fry one to try.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics