Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Partners in torah

queen76

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 6:56 pm
Has any one ever done this? Have u been a chavrusa to an unafiliated person? Did it work out?
I was thinking I have some free time this summer, so would like to volunteer to learn with a chavrusa. Any one know how I can get in touch w/ partners in Torah?
Would love to hear other people's experiences.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 7:14 pm
I know many people who have had excellent experiences with Partners In Torah.

The number is 1 800 STUDY 4 2

They are a terrifically well run organization. They do a lot of good.

They match you very skillfully with a teacher anywhere for regular FREE weekly phone study, scheduled for whatever time is convenient for both.

You can ask for a different teacher if you want; that's fine with them. You can change.

You can describe exactly what kind of teacher you want, and what you want to talk about. They have teachers at every level. They only match women with women, and men with men. Sometimes these relationships last for years. Sometimes the people eventually meet in person if they want to. Sometimes they do not. They do not have to.

They ask for voluntary contributions sometimes, not often, but it is all free.

I have only known students, not teachers.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 8:56 pm
mds wrote:
Has any one ever done this? Have u been a chavrusa to an unafiliated person? Did it work out?
I was thinking I have some free time this summer, so would like to volunteer to learn with a chavrusa. Any one know how I can get in touch w/ partners in Torah?
Would love to hear other people's experiences.

You have to define working out. You have to go into this with no expectations about what kinds of changes you'll see. Or if you'll see any at all. But you will get to have some good adult conversation - dayeinu yet? Tongue Out - and be challenged, whether it's the need to prepare, to think through things you think you know but you may not know, and have an overall invigorating experience. I've met some wonderful women, whom I'm honored to consider friends, through Partners.

I don't say you can expect this, but it's likely to happen: you will be creating a positive ambassador for Judaism, who is herself energized by the chavrusashaft and the people she gets to meet. It's really win-win. Even when the chavrusa doesn't click, it's still a learning experience, and you have no idea what the peiros from even the briefest encounter may be.

Hatzlacha and welcome in advance!

animeme

Post Mon, May 18 2015, 9:17 pm
I did this a number of years ago. I would not do it if you plan to only do it over the summer and need to drop it in the fall, because if the chavrusah goes well, it would be a pity to end it and have the person possibly not start again with someone else.

My chevrusah lasted a little over a year and a half, and she learned to read Hebrew (they provide the materials for this) and we learned about the holidays and about the theory of Judaism. She wanted to start learning chumash, but then dropped out because of her schedule. But while we learned, she became more involved with her local chabad, and I hope that stuck.

Above all, be yourself. She will want a real person, not a perfect person who's trying to reel her in. Be a friend, and listen, and you will learn some things from her as well. My chevrusah taught me a lot about kibud av va'em.

June

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:37 am
If you sign up, don't plan it for this summer. It takes a really long time to find someone for you.

When you initially contact them (you can sign up on their website), they'll call you for a short phone interview and put you in their database. They don't promise that they'll find a suitable partner right away. I signed up in 2012, and was just given a partner a few months ago.

This is a BIG commitment, it's not the kind of thing you can do for a few weeks, and then drop. (Unless it doesn't work out personality-wise)

ms5771

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 4:07 am
I used to work for them and also had my own partners. I think it's a great idea. But you have to really be committed and invested, even if your partner doesn't seem to be so interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics