Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
List of desserts that are WAY better when made milchig.
1  2  Next

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:40 am
Including cakes, cookies etc.

I'll start:

Cheescake
Shortbread
Trifle
Tiramisu

water_bear88

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:42 am
Chocolate cream pie
Ice cream

etky

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:44 am
brownies
choc chip cookies

JMM-uc

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:59 am
Anything with butter and milk is better! And if you use milk chocolate... Forget it! Heaven Smile

etky

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:04 am
JMM-uc wrote:
Anything with butter and milk is better! And if you use milk chocolate... Forget it! Heaven Smile

Exactly. Different planet - even (or maybe davka) something as plain and simple as vanilla pound cake.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:05 am
JMM-uc, I totally agree. But if you only make milchigs for shavuos, what would you make?

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:06 am
Cake made with whole milk, actually I never had it, but the recipes are with milk, not other stuff.
Butter

psych-student

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:24 am
cinnamon buns!

etky

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 1:33 am
Riff wrote:
JMM-uc, I totally agree. But if you only make milchigs for shavuos, what would you make?

Marbelized cream cheese swirl brownies.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 4:39 am
I can add to my own list, right?

Caramel slice
Custard tart

pumpernickle

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:29 am
Strawberry shortcake with cheesy custard

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:45 am
Almost every baked item is better with butter. The only stuff where it makes no difference are certain highly seasoned cookies like gingerbread or cookies that are made with shortening because of the texture.

Other than that, so many wonderful choices depending on what you like. Cakes made with butter and frosted with butter cream frosting. Cakes made with sour cream. Simple butter cookies. All of the variants of Russian Wedding Cookies which are essentially butter, nuts and confectioners sugar. Linzer cookies. Even everyday items like brownies or chocolate chip cookies. Lace cookies.

Obvious choices are desserts using cream like trifle or shortcake although not my personal favorites but far better with real cream.

nylon

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:17 am
While I agree that butter cakes tend to come out best (esp butter cream frostings) I do like to make desserts that really highlight the dairy component for Shavuot. Custards, creams etc. But if that is too rich for your taste (at least for everything!) a butter cookie selection is a nice change. Good strawberries may already be available so shortcake or a sponge with strawberries and cream could be an option. Cream pies.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:04 pm
ive not noticed a huge difference when using milk vs soy milk or other liquid in cakes. I just made muffins yesterday that called for milk but I made them pareve.

Anything with cream or custard is better milchig.

butter cookies are nice.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:07 pm
Raisin wrote:
ive not noticed a huge difference when using milk vs soy milk or other liquid in cakes. I just made muffins yesterday that called for milk but I made them pareve.

Anything with cream or custard is better milchig.

butter cookies are nice.

I don't think the replacement of milk for soy or whatever other makes much of a difference in the end product because milk really doesn't have much of a distinctive taste. It adds liquid and some amount of fat. Maybe years ago when there weren't any replacements for milk but now the subs do a pretty good job if the recipe calls for milk.

However, there is really nothing that replaces the taste of good butter in baked items - or cakes that are made with sour cream where the sour cream gives it both a wonderful taste, texture and a distinctive crumb because of the acid in the sour cream.

But I agree with other posters that a lot of recipes that are better with butter don't have the "in your face" quality" of a cheesecake or other dessert made with mounds of obvious whipped cream.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:11 pm
While this doesn't really have to do with dairy per se, I know people who swear by King Arthur's Princess Cake and Cookie Flavor to enhance the taste of parve items that aren't made with butter, cream or other yummy ingredients :-)

You just add to whatever you are baking as a "secret" enhancement.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com.....-4-oz

Laiya

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 2:16 pm
Chocolate mousse! With real heavy cream Smile

nylon

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 7:45 pm
Yes - to me nothing is like butter pastry. I love dairy rugelach, pie crusts, etc. dairy eclairs, with a good custard and ganache on top. Fruit tarts, with real butter puff pastry. Or the cookie type crust for a wet filling.

I don't make pareve pound cake, there is no point to me.

I have actually had reasonably good results on pareve mousse, but do prefer the dairy. I grew up on dairy rather than pareve so overdoing it on substitutes is very noticeable to me. I have discovered that coconut whipped cream is actually worth eating, unlike pareve whip that I try to avoid.

If it weren't for the timing this year I would make all butter croissants and pain au chocolat. That is a huge patchke but the only way I can get real, French quality pastries.

zaq

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 7:50 pm
Probably everything tastes better made dairy, including meat dishes, not that we would know. There has to be a reason why top chefs use so much butter and cream, and it's not that they all own dairy farms or are being paid off by the dairy farmers' lobby.

mille

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:27 am
Anything with real caramel or dulce de leche or anything like that. Like others have said, though, all desserts are better with dairy. I can't really think of a single dessert that actually benefits from milk substitute or butter substitute.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics