Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Bitter greens- help!

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:38 am
bought a box of salad greens ( even though some were purple or red, not green) twice. Once just the leaves, other time the mini heads. They are sooo bitter! I tried dressing them w citrus based dressings; adding honey or brown sugar or even balsamic vinegar to tame the bitterness- nothing helps. Dh doesn't like them, and I'm super sensitive to bitter flavors ( can't tolerate it).
What to do to make the rest of the box edible?

zaq

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 5:08 pm
Not much. They are supposed to be bitter, but you may be "blessed" with a palate that detects the bitterness at a lower level than most people. Short of drowning the greens in a cloyingly sweet dressing or diluting them with a very large volume of neutral or sweet veggies, there is not much you can do to make the bitter-natured greens better-natured. They is what they is; you dislike the taste, don't buy them any more.

studying_torah

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:03 pm
thanks Zaq- I figured not, but dh thought maybe sauteed will be less bitter. but I don't think you can sautee these salad greens?
oh well, we will just have to suffer thru the rest of the costco sized box and not buy it again Smile

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:34 pm
There are recipes calling for "wilted" greens that have been briefly immersed in boiling water. Leafy salad greens, as opposed to more robust "soup greens", are usually too watery to saute successfully, but it costs you nothing to try sauteeing a few, maybe with some onion to add flavor.

Lesson to be learned from this is to try new things in the smallest size package you can find, and supersize it only once you know you like it.

Another thought: why suffer? Find a friend who likes this kind of salad and give it to her. Some people are genetically programmed to like bitter flavors and actually enjoy greens that are described in euphemistic terms like "peppery" "piquant" "lively" or "assertive". These are all pleasant ways of saying "bisser vee gall".
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus