Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Sink insert for porcelain sink?

aquad

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:57 am
Because porcelain can't be kashered, most kashrus organizations suggest using a sink insert if the previous users were not shomer Shabbos. Looking for people who have dealt with this situation- how much more difficult is it to wash dishes with an insert? Did you buy a 'special' insert, or just a regular Rubbermaid basin?

It's hard to find apartments in my area that do not have porcelain sinks, so I'm starting to resign myself to the possibility that my next kitchen will have a porcelain sink. Sad

centurion

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:00 am
you don't need to line the whole sink like pesach, just get a sink rack so your dishes don't make contact with the bottom of the sink. it's practical to have it to keep your sinks clean anyway. something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rub.....Z12kx

aquad

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:06 am
I'm not sure... "Porcelain sinks cannot be kashered. Kosher dishes and other utensils may not be placed in a sink which was not kashered; rather, an insert or basin must be placed in the sink, and all dishes should be put into that insert." http://www.crcweb.org/kosher_a.....n.php

Does this mean that I just need a sink rack, or a full basin in the sink?

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:09 am
we used to use a sink rack with a basin on top. that way you can pile all your dirty dishes in the basin outside the sink if necessary. if there are too many dishes to wash with the basin in the sink, take the basin out of the sink and wash the dishes one at a time over the rack, letting them stand on the rack if necessary. the issue isn't the dishes touching the sink, it's using really hot water in contact with the sink or soaking directly in the sink. do any soaking in the basin and use the rack. it's really not that complicated. this is the same as using one sink for michig and fleishig.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:34 am
I use a rubber mat (has holes in it) on the bottom of the sink and on top of that a rubber basin the size of the sink. I cut a hole in the bottom of the basin where the drain is. I keep that in the sink all the time and wash the dishes in that; the water just goes out the drain normally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen