Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Can I use whipped cream cheese?

mha3484

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:09 am
I am planning on making this for yomtov. The whipped cream cheese happens to be on sale can I use it instead of regular?

http://steamykitchen.com/15207......html

Tzutzie

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:21 am
I think the whipped will be too soft. It needs to have a hold.

Eta, it looks delicious!

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:22 am
You wouldn't be able to substitute since the consistency of regular cream cheese is dense when chilled whereas whipped cream cheese remains soft. The reason most people use whipped (in my experience) is that it spreads more easily straight from the refrigerator whereas regular cream cheese can be harder to spread.

But you can't sub whipped for regular in a recipe. Recipes using whipped cream cheese will specify it.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 11:25 am
Thanks! Regular it is. I only appreciate a few bites of cheesecake since its so rich so I thought this would be a fun idea. Ill let you all know how they come out.

egam

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:38 pm
I use whichever is on sale, so most of the time it's whipped. Never had any problems. And if I can say this myself, I make killer cheesecakes (from my guests mouths).

Amarante

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:45 pm
This is not baked so it is relying almost entirely in the consistency of the cream cheese to keep its shape. Think about a ball of whipped versus regular cream cheese in terms of holding a shape. You would not pick up a ball of whipped cream cheese -- especially at room temperature.

egam

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 12:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is not baked so it is relying almost entirely in the consistency of the cream cheese to keep its shape. Think about a ball of whipped versus regular cream cheese in terms of holding a shape. You would pick up a ball of whipped cream cheese -- especially at room temperature.

You are right. I didn't pay attention and thought we are talking about regular cheesecake. Whipped would be very hard to turn into balls. Tried that once.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals