Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby Moves Oddly: Starting to Worry
1  2  Next

amother
Linen

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:05 pm
Starting at around 7 mos., my baby started picking herself up on her arms. I thought she would be crawling in the near future. The next month (8 mos.) she was picking her arms up, but when she wanted to move she slithered on her tummy. She didn't get far and often ended up going backwards. 9 mos. very similar. She barely used her knees. I tried putting her in the crawling position, didn't help. She went flop. At 10 mos., she finally discovered that she has knees and she goes on them. B"H, she started to go from lying down to sitting up. But, she still has no idea how to crawl. She goes on her hands and knees, but as soon as she wants to move, she slides onto her tummy. She cannot move very effectively on her tummy. She doesn't seem that frustrated b/c she can still make mischief in her immediate area. Now, she's getting on all 4s, but still can't move well. When she does manage to move, it's usually backwards (it's been like this for months). She's starting to pull herself up, but she stands on her knees and not her feet! She is super tall, so she can get what she wants from surfaces just on her knees. One other thing that concerns me is that I s/t see her tucking one leg in. I have a feeling that that leg is slightly weaker, but I am not sure.

At her 9 month check-up, already some time ago. The doctor was not worried. But, she gave me a referral for PT in case I wanted to use it.

All other milestones have been in the normal range. She sits nicely and has had loads of tummy time when she was younger.

I know I don't really need to worry until she's one, but I still am. It is also difficult b/c she is heavy and she cannot follow me around the house. She needs me to lift her.

I just feel silly going to PT. It is also getting hot and we don't have a car, so I would walk to PT and it isn't so close. Lastly, these things tend to interfere w/ nap time IYKWIM.

srbmom

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:11 pm
Sadly I think our culture has bred this "need" for our children to have some type of therapy.

My DS did not crawl until he was 12 months and did not walk until he was 15 months. I cannot tell you how many times people told me to take him for PT. My dr. wasn't nervous and maybe I was "naive" - but I wasn't nervous either. B"H he is now an active and athletic 8 yr old.

What you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me. Not every kid has to be exactly up to what other kids are doing. If you and the doc don't see anything alarming you - I would wait it out. Let her develop at her own speed

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:15 pm
Don't feel silly going to a PT. They will do an evaluation and see if physical therapy is necessary. If your baby needs a little extra help, it's worth it to get. I'm not one to run and try to get therapy for every little thing, but it is certainly worth checking out.
It's not always convenient to go, but it can really help if needed.

proudma

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:39 pm
Heppy Wife - I agree

No harm in a PT eval. Nowadays, if there is nothing to worry about, they won't qualify. But, if you need help, better to get help at a younger age. Did she roll?

happy chick

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 6:58 pm
it can be due to low muscle toning. nothing to worry about, but its something that can use pt. and if you qualify, sometimes the therapist can come toy you. cant hurt to have the kid evaluated

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 7:18 pm
A baby I once knew never crawled at all. Not at all. Went from the floor to walking.

He's grown up now.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 7:24 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
A baby I once knew never crawled at all. Not at all. Went from the floor to walking.

He's grown up now.

Lots of kids never crawl and are fine. But they usually move about efficiently some other way.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:06 pm
I cannot really give an opinion based on just one internet post, but wanted to chime in on two points: You don't say where you're located, but in most parts of the US, the therapists will come to your home, so you don't have to worry about getting there. Secondly, while I do think there's a tendency for people to rush to therapy at the slightest "off" thing, other people (especially of an older generation) are too quick to dismiss genuine concerns with stories about the kid who didn't talk till four and now he's a litigator, or the one who didn't walk till 2 who's now an Olympic sprinter. Unfortunately, for every kid outside the norm whose issued resolved with time, there are many more who needed professional help to function properly. If you are concerned, get an evaluation. An evaluation is not a commitment to anything and it's free. If they find nothing, you can rest easy, and if they find something, you can start dealing with it immediately, and with developmental stuff, the earlier you intervene, the better.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 8:52 pm
I'm a pt. So your baby is 10 months now? That's not considered too delayed for crawling though it's getting on the later side. What I tried with my dd who wasn't crawling at that age was helping her with the leg motion of one after the other in crawling position. She was crawling within days.

Some say crawling is not a crucial milestone but imo it's important for fine and gross motor development. If she's not crawling or pulling to stand by 1 defjnitely go for a pt eval.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 3:46 am
OP here.
Thanks for the responses. Yes, baby rolls. She started at 4 mos., but wasn't seriously rolling until around 5-6 mos. when she used it to move a little bit and see stuff nearby.

When she was completely sliding around on her arms/tummy (nothing on the knees), I tried to help her. She wasn't too happy about that. Now, she gets on her knees (or feet: all 4s), but when she tries to move, she slides on to her tummy.

Her arms are strong (from months of pulling up), but I think her legs are weak. She is starting to pull up, but only onto her knees. I"m not sure why she's not standing on her feet. (Although, it could be that she manages to do e/t she wants on her knees b/c she is very tall.)

In other areas, she's at her age level. She got the pincer grip at around 8/9 mos. She feeds herself finger food/table food nicely. She says mama, but not sure if she understands the meaning.

I'm in Israel. No idea how PT works. I am toying w/ making an appt. It's only getting more hot as time goes on and shortly, I will be working more hrs. I think I should take advantage now. I just feel silly b/c I know if I tell anyone I took her, they would laugh at me and tell me thousands of stories and tell me each baby moves at her own pace. I just think if she's going to need help, the younger the better.

June

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 3:57 am
amother wrote:
OP here.
Thanks for the responses. Yes, baby rolls. She started at 4 mos., but wasn't seriously rolling until around 5-6 mos. when she used it to move a little bit and see stuff nearby.

When she was completely sliding around on her arms/tummy (nothing on the knees), I tried to help her. She wasn't too happy about that. Now, she gets on her knees (or feet: all 4s), but when she tries to move, she slides on to her tummy.

Her arms are strong (from months of pulling up), but I think her legs are weak. She is starting to pull up, but only onto her knees. I"m not sure why she's not standing on her feet. (Although, it could be that she manages to do e/t she wants on her knees b/c she is very tall.)

In other areas, she's at her age level. She got the pincer grip at around 8/9 mos. She feeds herself finger food/table food nicely. She says mama, but not sure if she understands the meaning.

I'm in Israel. .

My baby was exactly the same. She would move into crawling position, but would slide right back onto her tummy when she tried crawling. My theory was that she didn't have enough grip on my smooth tiled floors to move, so she would end up sliding around. The theory was "proven" when we went to the States for Pesach and within a few days, she started crawling all over my mom's carpeted floors.

When she started pulling herself up, she also went on her knees first, then eventually stood up fully. (She'll be 1 in a few weeks.)

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:08 am
June wrote:
My baby was exactly the same. She would move into crawling position, but would slide right back onto her tummy when she tried crawling. My theory was that she didn't have enough grip on my smooth tiled floors to move, so she would end up sliding around. The theory was "proven" when we went to the States for Pesach and within a few days, she started crawling all over my mom's carpeted floors.

When she started pulling herself up, she also went on her knees first, then eventually stood up fully. (She'll be 1 in a few weeks.)

I have taken her to the park several times and sat her on the rubbry floor b/c I know my floors are slippery tiles. There are just tons of Israeli babies that never met a carpet in their lives and manage to crawl. Now I am thinking of getting a rug. But, I really don't want one. It will likely trap a ton of dust. She did have a rubbery play mat for awhile (she started to eat it awhile ago, so I took it off), that didn't seem to help very much, but it wasn't big.

She's been getting onto her knees since Pesach. That's almost 7 weeks Wink Seems like a long time not to progress.

June

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:22 am
amother wrote:
I have taken her to the park several times and sat her on the rubbry floor b/c I know my floors are slippery tiles. There are just tons of Israeli babies that never met a carpet in their lives and manage to crawl. Now I am thinking of getting a rug. But, I really don't want one. It will likely trap a ton of dust. She did have a rubbery play mat for awhile (she started to eat it awhile ago, so I took it off), that didn't seem to help very much, but it wasn't big.

She's been getting onto her knees since Pesach. That's almost 7 weeks Wink Seems like a long time not to progress.

what happens when you stand her up on the floor and hold her hands? do her knees buckle, or does she stand well?

true about israeli babies - it was just my theory based on watching my baby try to crawl. if this is concerning you, why don't you get it checked out, if just to put you at ease?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:28 am
I once asked a doctor regarding crawling development and was told that as long as the baby can move, no matter how they do it (crawling, walking, slithering, army crawl, etc), from one place to another, then you shouldn't worry. I'm not a PT but someone above is and what she said does sound accurate.

That said, I always believe in a mother's intuition, so even though it's a shlep for you, consider the PT just to put yourself at ease.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:37 am
June wrote:
what happens when you stand her up on the floor and hold her hands? do her knees buckle, or does she stand well?

true about israeli babies - it was just my theory based on watching my baby try to crawl. if this is concerning you, why don't you get it checked out, if just to put you at ease?

As a little baby, her legs were super strong. (She loved kicking them.) I could stand her up then! (but tried not to do this too much b/c not good for her). When I did this recently, IIRC, she buckled down. I keep doing it and she seems to be getting stronger.

Sanguine

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:37 am
amother wrote:
I'm in Israel. No idea how PT works. I am toying w/ making an appt. It's only getting more hot as time goes on and shortly, I will be working more hrs. I think I should take advantage now.
It's going to cool off for a while so go now. They love all the therapies here. Call your kupah to schedule and find out what you need for a PT appointment (a Tofes 17? You may need a different one for an evaluation too). You already have the Hafnaya from the Dr (that's a good start).

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:42 am
amother wrote:
I once asked a doctor regarding crawling development and was told that as long as the baby can move, no matter how they do it (crawling, walking, slithering, army crawl, etc), from one place to another, then you shouldn't worry. I'm not a PT but someone above is and what she said does sound accurate.

That said, I always believe in a mother's intuition, so even though it's a shlep for you, consider the PT just to put yourself at ease.

Hatzlacha!

I also heard that. That's why I am not racing to the PT office right now. I just am thinking she's boarderline, while she CAN move, she doesn't seem to get around and generally just moves w/in a few feet of herself. Although, it could be her personality. She is overall very happy and content and as I've said, there's plenty of trouble to be made where she usually plays. (Like pulling dust bunnies out from under the couch and trying to eat them.)

I think I will take her to the PT and let the PT decide if she needs further help.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 4:47 am
Sanguine wrote:
It's going to cool off for a while so go now. They love all the therapies here. Call your kupah to schedule and find out what you need for a PT appointment (a Tofes 17? You may need a different one for an evaluation too). You already have the Hafnaya from the Dr (that's a good start).

The hafnaya is not enough? I'm on Macabi.

sped

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:18 am
For a baby, the hafnaya should be enough. Call your kupah and ask how to make an appt. for an eval.

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:33 am
My baby moved like that, I even posted about him. He did manage to hands and knees crawl after a couple of months of dragging himself along. Maybe around 10 months he managed to crawl? It wasn't so late but as I was watching him I really thought he had something wrong with his legs - they seemed not to have the strength to go up on all fours.

Well, what I did is put him at the bottom of a flight of stairs, sit behind him and he climbed up. After that, he started crawling normally on all fours. A few days later, he was going from lying to sitting. Now he's super confident at 11 months, and he even pulls up, and then stands without holding onto anything. He's doing just right.

Everyone said I should go and see a pt, and yes, it can be done, and could catch a problem nice and early, but I don't think you have reason to worry!

I went to my doc who said to come back in a month if he was at the same stage and hadn't progressed. She said the main thing is that they should be learning new things, not how fast they learn them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics