Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
20 sickened at kosher dinner.
Previous  1  2  3

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:24 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Overproduction is a major problem in factory farming be it male or female cattle. Bob veal is a way factory farms use early slaughter males calves (30 days and under). It puts the milk cow back into the herd and earning her living quickly.

ETA: I'd probably eat a locust if it was an issue of survival.

Not reading the thread straight through I don't remember if "bob veal" was discussed. What is that? And do I assume that my local butcher's reasonably priced veal was raised problematically?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 5:59 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not reading the thread straight through I don't remember if "bob veal" was discussed. What is that? And do I assume that my local butcher's reasonably priced veal was raised problematically?

Bob veal is a calf that goes to slaughter at about 30 days never more.
I'd ask the butcher how his veal was raised if it's white or pale it's likely sourced from crate farm.

abaker

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:49 pm
does anyone have a link to the original article? the one in the OP doesn't open for me

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:52 pm
I copied the article into the first post of the thread.

gp2.0

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:10 pm
I was under the impression that kosher veal are not raised in crates, because the health problems and body disfigurement that results from torturing an animal this way for months renders it unkosher.

I believe kosher veal are simply from calves instead of cows.

ra_mom

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:15 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
I was under the impression that kosher veal are not raised in crates, because the health problems and body disfigurement that results from torturing an animal this way for months renders it unkosher.

DH's research says otherwise, but I myself have not looked into it.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:17 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

All veal is from calves. All are born from cows. There are about 5 different ways to raise a veal. They run the gamut from caged anemic cows who have atrophied muscles and weak bones fed on inadequate milk replacer to free raised and pastured calves raised in the open at their mother's side to formula fed veal who are fed nutritionally complete milk replacer and may or may not be caged, but are removed from their mothers at birth.

abaker

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:18 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I copied the article into the first post of the thread.

http://www.vosizneias.com/2038.....goat/

I found the article in a google search, I must say seeing the pictures really brings the menu to life.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:31 am
Foie gras is kosher. If you can google translate this you'll see. BH it is kosher. http://gamzouletova.blogspot.f......html

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:56 am
Ruchel wrote:
Foie gras is kosher. If you can google translate this you'll see. BH it is kosher. http://gamzouletova.blogspot.f......html

I don't think anyone disputes that, unlike say, locusts, which needs a mesorah. But many people are discomfited by lives the animals lead to produce good foie gras. Unlike veal, I haven't had to think of this on a practical level Wink

ETA: thanks, MY, for answering my question about bob veal.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Thu, May 21 2015, 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 2:40 pm
all the veal I buy is pink. what is pale veal?

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:22 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
all the veal I buy is pink. what is pale veal?

mama bear, unless you're buying veal from a butcher who specifically tells you it's "kindly raised", it's lived its entire life in a sideways cage. I know you'd like to find a way around that--I tried, when I was a meat eater, long before there was any local "cruelty free" meat. fact is, this is how these animals are raised.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:47 pm
I dont discuss with my butcher how the meat was farmed or whatever - meat is meat. But I was wondering if pink veal means cruelly raised calves. I don't want to be a part of that.

oliveoil

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:28 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
I dont discuss with my butcher how the meat was farmed or whatever - meat is meat. But I was wondering if pink veal means cruelly raised calves. I don't want to be a part of that.

Unless you're told otherwise (and it will be reflected in the price), you're buying regular, cruel veal.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics