Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Strands all joining together in my challah...

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:07 am
Thought it was because the dough was too sticky but tried again with more flour and it's the same. It's made with 70% whole wheat and honey instead of white and sugar, also I soaked the flour in water and vinegar overnight. Does anyone know if that would affect it? It just looks like a plain loaf.

zaq

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:36 pm
Try coating each individual strand with flour before braiding.
If you sub honey for sugar you need to reduce the volume of water to compensate for the water content of the honey.
You have to further compensate for the water that the flour absorbed while soaking. To get an idea of how much less water you need to use, next time, measure the volume of water and vinegar you add to soak, then measure the volume you pour off the next day. Subtract what came out from what went in, and that will be the volume absorbed by the flour. Reduce your water by that quantity.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:08 pm
Why did you soak the flour? Never heard of this.

But I agree, if the flour has already absorbed x amount of liquid, reduce the added water by the same amount or the proportions of flour to liquid will be wrong, and it will have a different texture and probably cause it to lose shape completely.

Frumdoc

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:10 pm
Whole wheat flour usually needs more water than white, and it absorbs more, btw. I change the amount of water I use depending on what proportion of white: whole wheat I make.

AlwaysThinking

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:03 am
I don't add any extra water, I soak it in the water in the recipe. Maybe it's the honey that has done it... but I even made some quite dry and the shape was still no good...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads