Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Glass ceramic cook top - blech?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:30 am
I just moved to a house with a glass top. Can I put a standard blech on? Is it safe? Will I ruin the glass?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:32 am
Not sure I would. Our glass top shattered from heat a couple of months ago (not from a blech, just from cooking). So did my MILs. No more glass for me.

The Happy Wife

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:35 am
I don't think you can safely do that.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:28 am
This is annoying. If I owned this house I'd get rid of it. But I'm renting so I'm stuck.

I really don't understand the appeal of this sort of cook top. It's awful to clean too. No matter what I use it looks cloudy.

SRD

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:13 pm
I have one of these (not by choice) - I use barkeeper's friend to clean it, and it works phenomenally. I use an electric plata with a timer, not a blech.

Not meaning to hijack - but how about adjusting the burners on yontiv? This is my first yontiv with a glass cooktop and I can't tell when it's heating or not, so I'm not sure if I should just leave a burner on for the whole three days or find another solution.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 1:51 pm
That was the next thing I was wondering about too.... if it would be worthwhile to leave it on and ignore over shabbos and then use for yom tov.... but it's really odd, the burners seem to light up when a pan makes contact and then go dark when it's removed (nothing to do with touching the dials) so I don't know if this becomes problematic???

I will pick up some barkeeps friend this week. I have used that for other tasks and it was great.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:59 pm
Just giving this a bump to see if MAYBE someone has used a blech successfully on this type of stove top.

Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions