Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is cooked honey safe for babies?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:31 am
My baby is 11 months and I just gave her something with cooked honey in it. Now I'm really worried about botulism. Can anyone reassure me, or am I right to be worried?

c.c.cookie

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:33 am
I can't really reassure you, because I can't say I really know - but I have given babies things, forgetting they contained honey - and B"H no problems. So I would feel pretty confident that you don't have to worry.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:43 am
Just in case someone reads this to decide if they should give honey to baby- the answer is no. Even if 20 posters log in and say they did it and it was fine. It's rare but do you want to be the one to get hit? Why take the risk for no gain? Honey is unsafe because the bacteria that causes botulism forms something called a spore that lives in the honey and is not killed by the heat of normal cooking or baking. Adult stomachs can handle this but the these abilities do not mature until one year of age.

This does not mean all honey is infested. It's not common and you don't have to assume your baby will now have botulism. But I would watch closely,avoid it in the future and if you are really worried or anything seems odd call your pediatrician.

Last edited by JAWSCIENCE on Wed, May 20 2015, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 10:43 am
I think its fine.
First of all its cooked.
and I think the rule is under a year they shouldn't have honey.

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:02 am
Cooked is the same as raw - botulism isn't destroyed by heat. But 11 months is so nearly a year, I plan to give my 11 month old challah made with honey starting this week. I read somewhere that there have been no reported cases of botulism in babies over 10 months.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 11:10 am
My mom gave my baby a piece of honey cake at six months. Nothing happened, but I was VERY frightened.

gibberish

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 2:17 pm
As per my pediatrician, the risk is NOT minimized if it's cooked. So no, you should not give to infants.

If you already gave it, then don't go crazy. Obviously just watch your baby to make sure everything is normal

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:23 am
We euros have honey formula.

abaker

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:59 am
I think the most risk of botulism is for babies under 6 months, but its still recommended to wait until 1. but as others said 11 months is really close to 1 and chances are, baby will be fine. I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

queenert

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:04 am
I used silan instead of honey until did turned one. It's a good sub for most things - especially baked goods.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:17 am
Botulism is NOT killed by heat.

Cooked honey is NOT safe for babies under a year.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 12:03 pm
Ruchel wrote:
We euros have honey formula.

It is possible the manufacturer treats the formula with pressurized heat (think industrial grade) which is not the same as regular cooking, if they are marketing it to babies. I'd look into it to be sure before giving that stuff to a baby.

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:11 am
I remember my son being prescribed this, by a hospital pediatrician, to "fatten" him up after a stomach bug. I pretty much don't have problems with honey formula, cake or whatever. I understand in other countries it may be non correct.
Later I learned UK also has that formula.

abemom2

Post Wed, Jun 10 2015, 6:56 pm
Most honey you buy is cooked. Raw/ organic honey costs a lot more than the typical honey, and it's way healthier - but not for under 1 either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics