Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
I hate myself without makeup, what to do over 3 day Yom Tov?
Previous  1  2

imaima

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:06 am
Sanguine wrote:
Why are there all these amother posters here. You don't think people know that you wear make-up?

Everyone is supposed to think the make up is from 3 days ago and that she had been sleeping standing up...

nyer1

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:22 am
the thought of leaving makeup on for 3 days straight makes my skin crawl.
I would so much rather wash my face with a nice cleanser each night of yom tov and apply some roll on lip gloss approved by my rav for the holiday. the look of fresh clean skin to me is so much more beautiful than caked on make-up and runny mascara and eyeliner under the eyes.

wear nice clothes, get some nice accessories, and chalk it up to what it is: it's a three day yom tov. no one expects you to have a full face by the third day!

supty

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:04 am
I use Bare Minerals products. They are loose powders and oil free. For eyeliner and use black loose powder on a small brush and it works great. Nothing for lips though...

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:06 am
Weeks before
-be very on top of skin care, take off all makeup before bed and use any masks you need

Days before
-Start using good quality self tanner to give you color
-dye lashes (and brows if needed). This is especially good if you feel naked without eye makeup
-hair removal

Day of
-if you have oily skin you can ask your dermatologist for a cortisone shot. It makes a spot go down within hours

-ask your rav if you can use loose powders on yt

-do not put on heavy makeup!! It looks terrible for the first day and smudged and old the rest of yt. I'll never understand people who do this.

IMO it's very nice to put in this effort to prevent yourself from being mechalel Shabbos and to feel good about yourself over 3 days of yt.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:24 am
amother wrote:
Then that would be the issur of anointing, no? Soap is removed after so it's not.

What exactly, or rather specifically, is the issur of anointing? Smearing deoderant is permitted.

I didn't learn this melacha thoroughly, and it's bugging me, this lack of clarity. Can't find anything clear online either.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:26 am
imaima wrote:
Isn't it easier to learn to love yourself without make up? I suggest therapy.

I totally agree. My interest is in getting clarity on this for others who are not at my level of self-love. lol

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:29 am
OP here.

Thanks for the tips.

What are currently the best products that are allowed to be applied on Shabbos, along the lines of what R' Blumenkrantz used to allow (powders)?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:34 am
On my lips I use a long-wear lipstick by MAC. It looks pretty good for the first day and a half. After that, not great, but at least there remains a hint of color.
As for the rest.... buy yourself a lovely pair of sunglasses.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:41 am
The problem with makeup versus deodorant is that makeup is smeared and smoothed evenly over your face, unlike deodorant that you just roll in without making sure it's all smooth.

Then there's the Issur of coloring. Applying makeup means putting color on your face and that is a problem on Shabbos.

I'm not giving advice or a psak, just saying what I remember from my school lessons!

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:49 am
Yes, I recall dyeing is an issue but then powders with colors are acceptable so I'm confused. Thank you Taupe amother for sharing your learning about smearing and smoothing.

nicole81

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:07 am
The idea is that loose powders are fairly temporary and don't have enough staying power to qualify as tzoveah

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:10 am
chani8 wrote:
Yes, I recall dyeing is an issue but then powders with colors are acceptable so I'm confused. Thank you Taupe amother for sharing your learning about smearing and smoothing.

IIRC there is also something about things that stay on for 24 hours that put them in a separate category. I.e. a powder like that would not be allowed on yt.

youngishbear

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:12 am
nicole81 wrote:
The idea is that loose powders are fairly temporary and don't have enough staying power to qualify as tzoveah

Which is why not everyone agrees that bare minerals is allowed. It is formulated with ingredients to stay on all day.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 1:06 pm
OP here.

Has anything improved, or have new products been added, since the Shabbat makeup came out (allowed by known Rabbonim)?

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 12:32 am
I think the whole subject is a bit silly, even though I get it. I mean, really, is it malacha to put on makeup? I don't view it as work at all! : )

Frumdoc

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:45 am
You should get a mask made of the best photo with all your make up on, say at a chasuna, and just wear that. Then your skin could be blissfully paint free and clean underneath as well.

Or a full blown niqab, the Muslim head covering with just slits for the eyes. But then you'd have to wear eye makeup.

Fot those who try to keep it going all 3 days, do you seriously not even splash some water on your face or wash it, and get 3 days or accumulated dirt there too?

For me this is far more gross than going without makeup. Bh I shower on yomtov, the worst for me is not washing, even on a single long hot summer shabbos I feel gross by early afternoon.

(My makeup solution is to not ever wear any except on v big events like a big simcha. But I hate the feel of foundations etc and don't have time to put eye makeup on in the morning, ever. BH I have ok skin)

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 6:42 am
Frumdoc wrote:
For me this is far more gross than going without makeup. Bh I shower on yomtov, the worst for me is not washing, even on a single long hot summer shabbos I feel gross by early afternoon.

If Id try taking anything but a hot shower, Id be sick. The idea of a shower with anything less than very warm water gives me the chills.

chani8

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 6:53 am
amother wrote:
If Id try taking anything but a hot shower, Id be sick. The idea of a shower with anything less than very warm water gives me the chills.

In Israel there is a psak that allows warm water showers even on shobbos because we have 'dude shemesh', water heated by the sun.

I think there is also a psak that permits showering with hot water on YT, since you are allowed to cook water.

Could be it's either sefardi or DL. Don't know. Just sharing differences. And I could be wrong.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics