Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Wets his pants

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:32 pm
ds is 6 going on 7. he still wets his pants. we took xrays and all looks fine. we went to a GI and he has constipation and is on miralax everyday. so thats taken care of . but he smells terribly. the smelly stuff thjust started a few days ago. I am at a loss. I have been to so many gi doctors already. noone seems to know the answer. the urologist says hes ignoring the signals that pp usually dont. when you feel the need you hold in till you reach the bathroom. he doesnt have that awareness bec hes too busy. I dont get it. I also get busy but just dont want to be wet so I go. isnt that what normal pp do? hes normal in every other way. hes so bright. he changed to a new school and he learned a new language withing weeks. he is so so bright in other areas how could this be? will be trying a diff method. from mrs. roberg in lakewood. maybe that will be the yeshua. please daven that I have success with it. have him in your tefilos. also please dont discuss her method here. I am going to her and spend the money. any other tips or insight would be really appreciated

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:39 pm
Have an OT work with him. It sounds like he has a low sensory awareness. I have a child with low muscle tone and low sensory awareness, and toilet training was very difficult. He really truly couldn't feel urges so acutely and the wetness didn't bother him much. He's younger, but has been getting OT since he was a baby and they spend a lot of time on sensory awareness and it has been helping a lot. He hasn't had an accident in awhile and is beginning to night train (and it's going pretty well). OT is something to really consider.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:46 pm
so he just soiled his pants today again, and that means I have to increase the miralax. but it sounds right that awarness is the issue here. he does have sensory issues. so I am going to see someone that works with sensory issues but she might be using diff methods since its not a licensed therapist. but will be using stuff to make his awareness better and strengthen those weak places. it does sound the same but its a little diff. hope it helps. wish me luck

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 7:48 pm
can you describe what low sensory awareness is?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:24 pm
So usually when we think of sensory issue, we think of the kids who are overly sensitive- like freeaking out over textures, or noise and stuff like that. But it can work in the opposite direction as well, where the child doesn't sense things enough. That would be the kid who goes out in the snow without a coat and doesn't feel cold. This often goes hand in hand with poor muscle tone. These kids already have trouble noticing how things physically feel, so it is hard to understand the sensation of needing to go. They really don't feel at the point that most of us would. On top of that, they may not feel wet unless they're soaked, or they feel it, but not enough to bother them (so no incentive to avoid it happening. Add to that possible weak muscles, and bladder/bowel control is not easy. These factors are a recipe for frequent bathroom accidents. Professionals who work with sensory issues are your best bet. I don't know what this unlicensed person you're working with is, but if you need to deal with sensory issues, I really recommend OT, they're the ones who specialize in this. Look for one with experience with sensory and low tone issues.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:35 pm
the sensory part your describing makes sense to my son. but the low tone doesnt. maybe he is low tone and I dont know it. but in any case I will be using this unlicensed person as she isnt invasive and I heard wonderful reviews from pp that had the same issue. and dh doesnt get convinced too quickly and here he is. so I will go forward. I can always try an ot at another time. lets see where I go from here.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 8:55 pm
If you're comfortable and she's highly recommended, then sure. It does sound like a sensory issue, as there's no medical problem and even the doctor said that for some reason he's not going when he feels it. That's pretty classic sensory, so if you're addressing sensory, that should help.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:04 pm
just pray that it works. I was so frustrated today. I feel so torn. and alone in this. its so painful to watch your child doing something he knows better. I just lost it today. and cried. and asked him why he doesnt go to the bathroom? I know he has a problem, asking him and getting upset isnt curing it. I was lost. I love my son. it just hurt so deaply. hes been doing this for almost yrs. I in over my head.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, May 20 2015, 9:40 pm
It's ok. It's frustrating. But try to remember, it's not his fault. He literally can't do it. If he's not feeling it until it's too late, he needs to learn how to do that. It's a muscle he has to exercise. You're getting him help. It should work. Until you see results, just keep reminding yourself that this is a physical limitation, and not something that is in anyone's control for the moment.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:09 am
amother wrote:
just pray that it works. I was so frustrated today. I feel so torn. and alone in this. its so painful to watch your child doing something he knows better. I just lost it today. and cried. and asked him why he doesnt go to the bathroom? I know he has a problem, asking him and getting upset isnt curing it. I was lost. I love my son. it just hurt so deaply. hes been doing this for almost yrs. I in over my head.

As long as he is only peeing in his pants and not pooing then I would chalk it up to an attention thing. If he is pooing, then I would consider it stress related and more serious.

He's not purposely trying to be difficult or hurt you in any way. He also doesn't want this. He just can't help it right now.

Why cant he just be pee pee all day and at the end of the day, give him a shower? And say nothing more about it?

Eventually he will decide to pay attention. Does he have ADD/ADHD?

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 1:37 pm
Sorry for bumping up an old thread.

But this is exactly what I'm dealing with right now.

My son has low sensory and ADHD.

OP, if you're still around, would you share what worked in the end? I feel bad for my son; I know he's not doing it on purpose but I'm at a loss on how to help him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics