Home

What to do with overripe tomatoes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

cheerios

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 2:20 pm       Post subject: What to do with overripe tomatoes
I have some very soft tomatoes. Any recipes for soup or side dish using soft tomatoes?

cindy324

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:52 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
how about matbucha? Add some peppers and onions and some jalapenos. Tomato dip. Just process with some olive oil, black pepper, garlic and salt.

Mimisinger

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:55 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
Gaspacho!!! I made it last week for shabbos and it was awesome for such a hot day! Add some cuceumbers, olive oil, vinegar salt and a bit of cayenne pepper and top w/ a dollop of tofutti sour cream. YUM! And so quick!

BennysMommy

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:57 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
make a homemade marinara sauce and freeze whatever you wont use right away in ziplock bags. u can put the bags inside plastic square storage containers. once theyre frozen take them out and u have frozen squares that are easier to store in the freezer. I freeze chicken soup broth that way.

chocolate moose

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 3:58 pm       Post subject:
you can add it to cholent, stir fried veggies . . .

BennysMommy

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 4:00 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
let me know if u want the recipe...

Gela

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 4:22 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
shakshuka!!!!

sarahd

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 5:01 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
lecso

miriam

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 8:31 pm       Post subject:
stir fry onion with salt pepper garlic. Add tomatoes. 5 minutes later, add zucchini or peppers. let simmer for about 20 minutes. season to taste.

cheerios

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 9:44 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
Thanks everyone. Matbucha sounds good. Maybe I'll try it. And what in the world are lesco and shakshuka?

cindy324

Post Posted: Thu, Jun 14 2007, 10:33 pm       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
letcho is similar to matbucha, but not spicy and you would add rice to the vegetables. It's a hungarian dish.

YESHASettler

Post Posted: Fri, Jun 15 2007, 3:07 am       Post subject:
Salsa!

Shakshuka: Make a thick tomato sauce, you can add onions and zucchini and carrots too.

Pour into a lasagne pan and then very carefully, pour raw eggs into pockets of sauce.

Cover and bake and serve hot.

Think of it as eggs poached in a thick tomato sauce.

shmeichel

Post Posted: Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:41 pm       Post subject: Re: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
BennysMommy wrote:

Can I have it?

BennysMommy

Post Posted: Wed, Jul 22 2009, 9:30 pm       Post subject: Re: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
shmeichel wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:

Can I have it?

oh gosh...2 years later! I don't know which one I was using at the time but I think it was from the spice and spirit.

shmeichel

Post Posted: Thu, Jul 23 2009, 11:28 am       Post subject: re: What to do with overripe tomatoes
oh!! I have the spice and spirit so ill check it out!!Smile

thanks!!Smile
View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Page 1 of 1