Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Need new string bean recipe

ruby slippers

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:04 am
Want to make string beans- but am so tired of grilling or sautéing with garlic and olive oil. Tried the sticky green bean recipe from one of the cookbooks- was not a winner.
Any other ideas out there- aside from skipping the green beans. Very Happy

Lizzie4

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:08 am
take 1 bag of frozen whole string beans-
Let them thaw out
Put them into a ziploc bag.
Add:
1/4 cup olive oil
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tbs lemon juice

No need to bake! Just warm up before serving or serve cold as a salad.

Last edited by Lizzie4 on Fri, May 22 2015, 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total

ruby slippers

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:18 am
already bought fresh string beans- they looked so beautiful, will this work with fresh or should I steam them?

Lizzie4

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:23 am
You can use fresh as well!

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:24 am
Mix with sautéed onions and mushrooms, and Dijon mustard.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:26 am
You can parboil them and then cook in tomato sauce. Or boil them in slightly salted water till al dente (before they get too soft), serve with toasted almond slices or crispy onions. If you like something oriental, boil al dente, and make dressing with 2parts unseasoned tehini, 2parts OJ and 1 part soy sauce (grated ginger optional). They also make lovely curry (esp thai green kind with coconut milk) or pakora fritters. Or just serve plain with rock salt and coarse ground peppers.

Sadie

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:32 am
I sautee them with soy sauce and onions and top with toasted sliced almonds. I get lots of compliments so I make it a lot!

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:42 am
Sauté an onion, mix with the string beans add some soy sauce and ginger powder. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to look pretty.
Fry some thinly sliced red pepper to add color.

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:59 am
I like the following dish as a light accompaniment to dairy and fish meals. Its very easy to make and looks pretty too.

Saute a cut up red pepper until slightly soft. Add a package of defrosted green beans and simmer with a drop of water until as soft as you like them. Add a drained can (or two) of corn. Season with salt, a bit of sugar, a shake of oregano, some black pepper and a bit of granulated garlic if you like.

iamamother

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:11 am
I bake in the oven with some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and a drizzle of honey and terreyaki sauce

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:35 am
Another way I make them, which gets away from the Asian and the Italian type recipes, is a very common Israeli side dish. It cooks for a relatively long time and the beans get very tender, however the acid from the tomato past prevents them from falling apart:
Saute an onion and some minced garlic in olive oil. until the onion is soft. Add green beans (frozen or fresh), a little water, a container of tomato puree, a drop of turmeric and a good amount of cumin. Simmer for about half an hour and then add salt and pepper to taste

CatLady

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 8:38 am
Saute them in a bit of olive oil, add chopped tomatoes, diced onion, garlic, lemon juice and oregano.

zohar

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:04 am
Spicy green beans from the BY Cookbook:
2lbs green beans
1/4 C +2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp coarse salt
1/2tsp crushed red pepper flakes

Saute green beans in oil 2min. add the rest of ingredients and cook for an additional 2 min. lower flame and cook covered until tender, 15 min.

I was also getting tired of the typical string bean recipes until I found this one. It has a very slight kick but not too hot for most people.

ruby slippers

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:15 am
thanks- I keep saying I have to buy that cookbook!

queenert

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:15 am
2:1 mustard-honey mix, plus a clove or so of garlic, pressed. Bring to a slight boil and pour on steamed beans.
Same as the Middle Eastern one above but with allspice and cinnamon instead of tumeric and cumin.
Sauté diced onions, mushrooms, and garlic. Add white wine, salt, pepper. Add lightly steamed greenbeans and cook a bit longer.
Slice red pepper and roast on 400 for appx 10 min with teriyaki, honey, salt, pepper, and minced garlic.
Another vote for the spicy by cookbook one.

Can you tell we have green beans a lot? Wink

lucky14

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 3:19 pm
I sometimes saute with an sliced up onion, add some water, salt, pepper, squirt some ketchup on top, and sprinkle on some oregano. Cover with a lid for a little while until the ketchup gets "cooked" on a bit. Just make sure they don't get mushy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics