Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Thinking of switching ds school

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:13 am
DS seems content in school- he is doing ok. most of his friends are in the class above him. He has one or 2 friends in his class and he tolerates the rest. He is a very black and white kids and thrives when there is proper classroom management and order. In the upcoming grades the teachers have a very different management style that works for some, but would drive my child batty and may be a detriment to his learning (and yes I know he will have these teachers and have shared with the principal my concerns). We are looking at other schools and have made an appt. for him to sit in a montessori class. The question is- what do I tell ds about why he is visiting the school. he knows children in the class, I could lie and say it is special friends day or something like that.. don't want to say anything negative about his current school or the upcoming teachers etc.
advice please......

mummiedearest

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:17 am
why not say you're considering switching? be honest. if you do switch him, he'll have had time to digest the idea. if you don't switch, no harm done. tell him it's just being considered, nothing is set in stone, don't discuss this in school because you might not switch.

chani8

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:32 am
A need for proper classroom management and order don't really mesh with montissori. Have you been in the classroom yet yourself? Perhaps you can observe them first, before you put your son through the stress of it all.

Iymnok

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 9:34 am
Ds, I see that you will have issues A B and C next year in your current school. I want to broaden our horizons to see all the possibilities so you will be happy and successful in school.
These are other options I've found, which do you want to look into first?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:19 am
I have sat in the montessori class already- and yes- it drives me a little nuts that the classroom was not set up all in rows and the teacher was not standing at the board in the front of a silent room, but every child in that class was working (I was watching for close to an hour in the mid day) every student was on task and there were 3 teachers guiding the students and working in small groups. There was a lot of learning going on and I was told that was an off day for them!

I like all of the honest response ideas given. I am a little worried that ds will go back to school the next day and tell everyone where he was. Don't really want others to know until we have made a decision, but also don't want to have to have him keep a "secret." maybe I can work it out that he visit on a Friday and then by Monday no one will ask him...

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:20 am
Iymnok wrote:
Ds, I see that you will have issues A B and C next year in your current school. I want to broaden our horizons to see all the possibilities so you will be happy and successful in school.
These are other options I've found, which do you want to look into first?

I really like this wording- thanks!

Bruria

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 5:48 pm
Some kids thrive on montessori, yet others do not. Kids that are more self-directed tend to do well in montessori, while others don't do so well since they need and are accustomed to a more structured enviroment.
Think about the type of student that your son is, does he need someone telling him what to do or is he the type that is more self motivated? This is a very chashuv question, think about it..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics