Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What's BEST cheesecake crust/cookie/toppings?? ASAP!

Liebs

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:09 am
I just made cheesecakes and doubled mixture and have no pie crust.
What's the best bottom or top to make from scratch?
Brownies/cookie dough/others....or toppings such as pie fillings????
Please specify how to bake (alone first or with cheese part on top).
THANKS!!!

Runner18

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:14 am
ground up cookies...any type...Oreos go great, mix it with some butter/oil and press it to the bottom of pan. Put it in the oven (without cheesecake filling) for a few minutes. Then add the filling.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:16 am
This recipe is for a cookie dough from scratch type of bottom. You bake the bottom per the instructions and then put the sides in and the filling.

Lindy's Cheesecake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By:

Summary:

This is perhaps the most famous and imitated cheesecake of all. Dense and creamy, it is what has become known as New York-style cheesecake.
Skip to Next Recipe

Ingredients:

For the pastry, place the sugar and lemon zest in a food processor for 5 seconds.

Add the butter, egg yolk, water, and vanilla and pulse until the mixture looks granular and lumpy; the butter should be in about 1/4-inch pieces.

Add the flour and pulse rapidly 20 to 30 times, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, until the mixture almost gathers into a ball.

Turn the dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap and press the dough into a 1-inch-thick cake.
Wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Adjust an oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Butter a 9-inch springform pan.

Detach the sides, set aside.

Cut off slightly less than one half of the dough.

Break it into pieces, and scatter them over the springform bottom.

Press firmly and evenly with your fingertips to make a thin layer.

Set the bottom crust in the oven and bake until pale golden brown, about 8 minutes.

Remove from the oven with a wide metal spatula and set on a cooling rack to cool completely.

Increase the oven temperature to 525 degrees.

Shape the remaining pastry into a square.
Roll it out on a lightly floured surface to a rectangle slightly larger than 10x6-inches.

With a large sharp knife, trim away the edges so that the pastry measures 10x6-inches.
Cut the pastry crosswise into five 2-inch strips.

Reassemble the springform pan.

Line the sides of the pan with 4 of the pastry strips, pressing the pieces firmly together where their edges meet and pressing the pastry firmly against the pan so that it will stay in place.

Cut what you need from the last strip to fill in the last gap.

Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.

For the filling, beat the cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Add the sugar, flour, salt, zests, and vanilla and beat until smooth, 2 to 3 minutes.
Beat in the eggs and yolks one at a time, beating only until thoroughly incorporated, about 15 seconds after each.
Beat for another 30 seconds.
On low speed, beat in the heavy cream.
Scrape the mixture into the pan and smooth the top.
Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 200 degrees and bake for 1 hour longer; the top will be golden brown.

Cool to room temperature on a rack.
Cover loosely and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, overnight is best.

For the strawberry sauce, if the strawberries are small, reserve 1 cup of the prettiest ones.
If they are large, slice enough to make 1 cup.
Set aside.
Place the remaining berries in a medium saucepan and crush with a potato masher.
Add the sugar, water, salt, and cornstarch.
Stir well with a heat- proof rubber spatula, and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, or until the sauce is slightly thickened.
Remove from the heat and add the butter, lemon juice, and reserved berries.
Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
(The sauce can be made a day ahead.) To serve, run a small sharp knife around the edges of the cake to release the pastry and carefully remove the sides of the pan.
Rinse a knife in hot water, shake off the excess water, and slice.
Serve each portion with a spoonful of the strawberry sauce.
Refrigerate leftovers.

Directions:

Notes:

Baking the bottom first ensures that it is cooked

Best cooked in a water bath. Wrap springform pan thoroughly with tinfoil to prevent leaking

Liebs

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:26 am
Runner18 wrote:
ground up cookies...any type...Oreos go great, mix it with some butter/oil and press it to the bottom of pan. Put it in the oven (without cheesecake filling) for a few minutes. Then add the filling.

Thanks.
DO I need to do in food processor or can be by hand chunky?
About how may cookies?

choco1

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 10:51 am
Use liebers or chips ahoy soft cookies. Crush in ziplock bag (by hand)
Pour in 3 Tbls butter. Put in freezer for 15 min. Pour I'm cheesecake. For topping make chocolate curls with Rosemarie harmony bar (two tone) once cheesecake is cooled. I usually use peeler or knife. It's easier to do if you put chocolate bar in freezer first.

etky

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 11:00 am
Cookie crumbs, as others have said is the quickest and easiest route. I make the same cheesecake recipe every year. Sometimes I prebake the cookie crumb crust and sometimes I don't.
I've reached the conclusion that it makes very little difference either way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics