Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
LETTUCE!!!!! None to be found in Israel.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

israelgirl

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:45 pm
Sanguine wrote:
You know, it's after 1:00 AM here so I'm the only Israeli around. do you want the long explanation or short? LOL . Well, I'll just answer about this one. From what I see in the posts, it seems that R' Efrati gives a hechsher on lettuce that is grown in water which isn't a Shmitta issue at all just like you can grow vegetables in flowerpots and eat it too. Only the land is supposed to rest. So that lettuce isn't a Shmitta issue at all. OP's problem is that she has a strict list. Only things from Chu"l. Only Badatz Hechsher.

There are a few ways to deal with Shmitta and OP's is - Hmmm can't think of a nice word. You're right about selling. I can't pick the apples from my tree and sell them (but neighbors are allowed to enter my yard and eat all the apples they want). So there are different ways that the country deals with Shmitta but mostly Shmitta is kept everywhere (all supermarkets...). OP wouldn't hold by the supermarkets Shmitta. But I do.

I can't think of a nice word either! lol
Good thing I kinda love DH. I always tell him he'd have no hope in another marriage

Sanguine

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 6:59 pm
israelgirl wrote:
I can't think of a nice word either! lol
Good thing I kinda love DH. I always tell him he'd have no hope in another marriage
Well maybe he's saving you. If you didn't buy from Chu"l you'd have all your vegetable peels rotting in your kitchen cause they have Kedushat Shviit.

Now I'm off to sleep

Liebs

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:04 pm
Sanguine wrote:
You know, it's after 1:00 AM here so I'm the only Israeli around. .

I'm here too Smile

tigerwife

Post Thu, May 21 2015, 7:09 pm
Lol me too. It's erev YT. I just put up another kugel and now making a marinade for my fish.

Smile1234

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 3:18 am
The noshnoshim salad is good with just white cabbage too, I've made it numerous times when there was no lettuce to be found.

My neighbor's aunt came from america and brought her (dont ask me how) POS'TIVE LETTUCE!! Now how's that for real chu"l lettuce? I'm so jealous Wink

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:44 am
To the Israeli ladies - Sorry if I "butchered" Shmitta. (thought you all were sleeping) - I go by Heter Mechira - makes life easier. Seven years ago I set out to do Otzar HaAretz. I bought my year's worth of coupons. I had my Shmitta Pachs... There was only one Makolet here who was the official Otzar HaAretz supplier (I don't live in the city with many stores). Well we went away for the first day of Sukkot with Chol HaMoed. Came home Hoshana Rabba and there I am all ready to cook for Simchat Torah so I go to buy my Otzar HaAretz vegetables. Well guess what!?!? That Makolet was closed for the entire Sukkot!! I became the fastest "Shmitta drop out" as I went to our other store and bought Heter Mechira (sold my coupons to my SIL who stuck it out). Now if I baffled the ladies from Chu"l last night, I'm sure I've totally confused them with that story Very Happy

Now explain why so many of us were up at 2 AM last night. Chag is only 2 days here (though when it's just one day it's a 3 day school vacation Rolling Eyes ).

Iymnok

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 4:53 am
They have school today, don't complain too much.
I found this thread amusing, dh had just dropped 3 bags of lettuce on the table.

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:12 am
Iymnok wrote:
They have school today, don't complain too much.
I found this thread amusing, dh had just dropped 3 bags of lettuce on the table.
They didn't give off today?? What's become of this country? Where is the Histadrut Morim!?!? (my kids are in HS, we never have school on Friday so I didn't know there's school today, now I'm outraged Exploding anger ).

But I love the Panicked title of this thread Director LETTUCE!!!!! None to be found in Israel. Maybe she should have only posted that on LII. Now all the chutzniks really think we live in a third world country Wink

Last edited by Sanguine on Fri, May 22 2015, 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total

water_bear88

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:33 am
I noticed this thread last night but didn't open it- weirdly, this is the first Friday in several weeks my husband was able to find lettuce that wasn't half-rotten! I would like to know, is there anyone who doesn't hold by matza menutak? I thought it met everyone's standards (definitely lets the land rest, still buying form Jewish Israeli farmers).

hila

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:39 am
There was no bug free lettuce round here today ..tho I did not try every store.

As for Shmitta - it is hard. We wanted to keep Otsar Haaretz - but it al,ost impossible without using Arab produce or heter mechira. And then there is the smelly pach problem... Cantwait for Tsom Gedalia - at least I can clear up the garden and the end is in sight.

etky

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:42 am
mummiedearest wrote:
no, I'm not in israel. that's why I'm asking the question. I was pretty sure that part of the issue of shmittah includes not selling the produce. am I wrong? so if the op holds that the lettuce in question is not ok for her to eat due to shmittah, I would assume that it is also a problem for her to sell it. as I said, I don't think there is a problem from the neighbor's end, the neighbor holds it's ok to eat. maybe I'm mixing things up, I'm definitely not knowledgeable in shmittah laws.

She can say it's for the service of providing her with the lettuce, not the lettuce itself.

etky

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 5:46 am
[quote="hila"]There was no bug free lettuce round here today ..tho I did not try every store.

As for Shmitta - it is hard. We wanted to keep Otsar Haaretz - but it al,ost impossible without using Arab produce or heter mechira. And then there is the smelly pach problem... Cantwait for Tsom Gedalia - at least I can clear up the garden and the end is in sight.[/quote

I got mine yesterday. I had a feeling it would be very difficult to procure today, what with everyone waiting for the last minute to get the freshest produce possible before the 2 day shabbat/chag. Hiope it's still good on Sunday.

lech lecha08

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:21 am
Sanguine wrote:
They didn't give off today?? What's become of this country? Where is the Histadrut Morim!?!? (my kids are in HS, we never have school on Friday so I didn't know there's school today, now I'm outraged Exploding anger ).

But I love the Panicked title of this thread Director LETTUCE!!!!! None to be found in Israel. Maybe she should have only posted that on LII. Now all the chutzniks really think we live in a third world country Wink

They have off on Monday.
I couldn't find good otzar alei katif lettuce today either

israelgirl

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 9:37 am
my kids were off school-where do they HAVE school???
The verdict, I can't sell the lettuce-thanks SO much for pointing out that there was a question there Smile

Hope whoever has lettuce enjoys it to it's FULLEST. (and check it very carefully for bugs...)

Have a good yt.

Raisin

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:25 am
Sanguine wrote:

I figured when I saw this title it was to do with shmitta.

Just curious OP - you can't find whole heads of lettuce, or the prechecked bags?

water_bear88

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:27 am
israelgirl wrote:
my kids were off school-where do they HAVE school???
The verdict, I can't sell the lettuce-thanks SO much for pointing out that there was a question there Smile

Hope whoever has lettuce enjoys it to it's FULLEST. (and check it very carefully for bugs...)

Have a good yt.

Can you give the lettuce away so it doesn't go to waste, or are you regarding it as sfichin?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:35 am
Sanguine wrote:

I also figured it was a shmitta issue. I envy all of you, whether you deal with shmitta in the more complicated or easier ways, you're all aware of this mitzvah, in the most immediate way. Iy'H we should all be with you to finish the year off! Gut Shabbos and gut yom tov. (Oh, and I feel for all you Israeli ladies who have to deal with the rigors of 2 days of yom tov(!) too Very Happy )

israelgirl

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:43 am
I gave it away-no worries.

Sanguine

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 10:51 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I envy all of you, whether you deal with shmitta in the more complicated or easier ways, you're all aware of this mitzvah, in the most immediate way.
You know, I think you'll have to wait 7 years for the next Shmitta, but if you want to Do the Mitzva of Shmitta then, I'll sell you one of my fruit trees for the year and I'll ignore it for you all year. The good thing is all the fruit that grows during the year is hefker so my family can actually go out and eat from your tree Very Happy

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 22 2015, 11:31 am
Sanguine wrote:
You know, I think you'll have to wait 7 years for the next Shmitta, but if you want to Do the Mitzva of Shmitta then, I'll sell you one of my fruit trees for the year and I'll ignore it for you all year. The good thing is all the fruit that grows during the year is hefker so my family can actually go out and eat from your tree Very Happy

Don't be so pessimistic, there are still a few months left!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics