Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Paycheck is in Dollars Rent (and life) is in Shekels
Previous  1  2

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 9:49 am
rlm wrote:
I had that problem of searching with zipcodes as well. But I have taken out from a few different ATMs in the neighborhood and never had an issue. I was confident, since I know others that use them
Also, they are very helpful and friendly on the phone. Perhaps you can get more accurate info if you try calling them.

Maybe I will call them. I don't live in J"m, so I would need to know that they worked in my area. If I decide to use them, I will bli neder use your link.

chanchy123

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 9:50 am
Sanguine wrote:
We just changed an American check, but don't take your advice from me. Are you in Yerushalayim? There are people who run banks out of their houses... They take all types of checks. ask around, or have your husband ask around. Everyone changes money like that. They take a %age (about 2%)

Do NOT do this. This is not only ilegal, this is stupid. Do I really need to mention all the things that could go wrong here?

myname1

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 10:38 am
rlm wrote:
I had that problem of searching with zipcodes as well. But I have taken out from a few different ATMs in the neighborhood and never had an issue. I was confident, since I know others that use them
Also, they are very helpful and friendly on the phone. Perhaps you can get more accurate info if you try calling them.

Did you give them your actual Israeli address? I always use my parents' address in the US, so they don't know I am officially living here. But I use it here without a problem. Once in a while an ATM might reject it, but that's happened with my Israeli bank card as well. And a couple of times I have tried to use it to pay a bill and certain companies seem to use a system that rejects non-Israeli cards, so it hasn't worked for those. But I use it in stores and for other companies, or just stock up on the cash from ATMs.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 10:42 am
myname1 wrote:
Did you give them your actual Israeli address? I always use my parents' address in the US, so they don't know I am officially living here. But I use it here without a problem. Once in a while an ATM might reject it, but that's happened with my Israeli bank card as well. And a couple of times I have tried to use it to pay a bill and certain companies seem to use a system that rejects non-Israeli cards, so it hasn't worked for those. But I use it in stores and for other companies, or just stock up on the cash from ATMs.

I didn't give them anything. Just tried to check if there are ATMs nearby that qualify. I generally do what you do and give my parents address as well. I am thinking about calling them.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 10:50 am
I have a charles schwab account (opened when I was born) - it's not really a bank, it's a brokerage thing, but I use the card as a normal ATM. I have no fees when I take out money and no monthly fee to have a card. I looked into it for someone else and unless you have a large amount (don't remember exactly how much it was - but it allows you to open from outside the US without going in person), you have to open the account/card from america. I'm very happy with it, but honestly don't know about someone opening it just as a bank account.

There's also an option for a company called payoneer (similar to paypal). Payoneer works with a lot of different companies, so if there's any chance you could ask your company to become a partnerw ith them, that would work very well. You then can get a payoneer mastercard and keep either the money in your account or transfer it to the card and take it out for free. It's not a real bank account like chase or wells fargo but it does the job.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 12:24 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
Do NOT do this. This is not only ilegal, this is stupid. Do I really need to mention all the things that could go wrong here?

On this topic, I once went to a very legal place to get a check exchanged. It was from my grandma made given to me shortly after my wedding.

A couple of months ago, we get a call from the money changer store saying that we owe them money from a check that didn't go through. When we asked, we saw it was grandma's check from 2012!! We had to ask Grandma (quite embarrassing. It was such an old check) She checked and the money changer was right! The money didn't go through. DH asked a rav and rav said we had to pay money changer. (Seriously, it was approx. 3 yrs. later.)

Oh and money changer said it took him 3 yrs. to call b/c he had DHs number which we cancelled. But, he sent us a picture of the check and I clearly saw I had given him my cell phone number... If he didn't get through to the cancelled phone, I would think he should try that...

Either way, he said he was going to send someone over for the money since I moved from the city where this happened. The person never showed up. You are reminding me that I better mail him a check b/c I don't want him calling me up in another 3 yrs... (and b/c the rav said we really owe him and I don't like to owe people for a long time).

israelgirl

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 12:41 pm
I'm in the same boat as you regarding how I get paid, and I second opening up a Capital One 360 account. Wonderful customer service, absolutely no extra charges and easy transfers from other American banks. You can open in while in Israel. It's def the way to go. I use Chase Sapphire for all other transactions without an additional charge as well.

israelgirl

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 12:43 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't give them anything. Just tried to check if there are ATMs nearby that qualify. I generally do what you do and give my parents address as well. I am thinking about calling them.

Even if ATM's near you don't qualify you will just pay the $5.00 ATM charge (or wtvr it is) you wont have to pay the 3% foreign fee charge and you save $30.00.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 25 2015, 11:19 pm
You can call Charles Schwab to raise the limit for a specified time frame.

deli123

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:35 am
I also use a capital one 360. When setting up the account I used my parents american address, and I was able to transfer money from my main bank account to this one online. In addition, I am able to take out money from any ATM without any fees.

June

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 12:59 am
OP, do you have a Bank Ha'Poalim or Mercantile/Discount near you? I know for sure that those two don't charge ATM fees.

We use a debit card from my account in the US with no foreign transaction fees and no ATM fees. The bank ATM we withdraw from (usually Bank Ha'Poalim) gives us a great rate, just a few agorot below the official exchange rate.

This Capital One 360 sounds great; check it out, OP! I will file this away in my mind in case my bank ever starts charging ATM fees.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:02 am
June wrote:
OP, do you have a Bank Ha'Poalim or Mercantile/Discount near you? I know for sure that those two don't charge ATM fees.

We use a debit card from my account in the US with no foreign transaction fees and no ATM fees. The bank ATM we withdraw from (usually Bank Ha'Poalim) gives us a great rate, just a few agorot below the official exchange rate.

This Capital One 360 sounds great; check it out, OP! I will file this away in my mind in case my bank ever starts charging ATM fees.

Yes, I do think we have those banks. But, my Bank of America debit card most definitely charges me all these fees. Which bank do you have? Do you have the 360 one? I think I will be calling them today to find out if all ATMs work b4 I sign up.

June

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
Yes, I do think we have those banks. But, my Bank of America debit card most definitely charges me all these fees. Which bank do you have? Do you have the 360 one? I think I will be calling them today to find out if all ATMs work b4 I sign up.

Most American banks do charge a foreign transaction fee, plus they take a percentage if you use an ATM that is not part of their network. Our account is at Investors Bank; right before we moved to Israel, they opened a new local branch and offered free ATM/no foreign transaction fee to attract people. I have no idea if they'll ever start charging, if they do, we'll have to look into Capital One as well...

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:21 pm
OP here.

So, I signed up for capital one 360, but then realized I forgot to use the link. I'm sorry Sad

Anyway, I haven't tried it out yet. I'm going to Y"m soon and am wondering which ATMs people have used and not incurred fees.

Thanks!

abs

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:42 pm
Can I do something like this for my daughter who will be in an Israeli sem in sep?

myname1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:44 pm
Any ATM attached to a bank should work fine. The separate ATMs do usually charge a fee, about 7 NIS (which it says). But if it says "your bank might charge you a fee for using this ATM", that's fine because Capital One 360 does not. Bank Hapoalim lets only 1,000 NIS at a time, but you can do multiple transactions to get up to $1,000. Others may have similar systems. I know Mercantil lets the whole thing at once.

myname1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:46 pm
abs wrote:
Can I do something like this for my daughter who will be in an Israeli sem in sep?

You can always call and ask. I would think it might be different if she's 18 or not, if you want it just in her name. But they do check your credit score, so if she doesn't have one, I'm not sure if that would fly. You could also open your own checking account- and give her the ATM card...

ahuva06

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 12:56 pm
I'm chiming in a little late here but we use TD Bank and pay for everything + take money out with our debit card - no transfer fee.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jul 27 2015, 1:09 pm
Thanks myname also about the headsup about the limits. I could never keep track which bank does which. I guess we'll see what happens. I hope there really are no fees.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions