Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
IKEA, buy in the US, or in Israel?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:19 am
IYH we will be making Aliyah in a few months. We will need a lot of book shelves, a new desk for DD, and various things for the kitchen.

Should we buy them here and add them to the lift, or should we wait and get them after we arrive?

If we buy them in Israel, is there a service that will deliver and assemble them for you?

Is there a discount for new olim?

Now that the move is getting closer, I have so many more questions!

hila

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:27 am
If you are anyway sending a lift, then I would put flat pack bookcases into it. When they arrive you can find a local handyman to put them together for you. (or learn to do it yourself if you or dh are a little handy)

If this is the only thing you want to send - then buy here. IF NBN is helping - then I guess sending a lift is a good idea.

November

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:47 am
Buy in US and put on your lift. There are no discounts. Wish we had done that.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 1:54 am
I don't have the experience to advise whether or not bringing IKEA furniture to Israel is a good idea. If you decide to do so, make sure to bring real wood rather than pressboard. It's more expensive, but it will serve you better in the long run. Once IKEA furniture is assembled, it frequently doesn't travel well if you need to move again. The wood furnishings hold up much better.

mandksima

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:29 am
Yes! If you already bringing a lift, stick as many Ikea pieces in as you can. My only regret is that I didn't bring enough! Now, when I compare online to Ikea Israel and the U.S., Israel is more expensive and doesn't carry all items. Do they even deliver and assemble here? That I don't know. It helps to know dimensions of your new place to see what fits where.

FF, let me know if you are selling space on your lift!

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:32 am
IKEA Israel has a website. You can compare prices and availability online.

We brought flat packs on our lift. But it ended up we didn't have enough parts and had to go to ikea here to get a few missing items. I don't think it makes much of a difference if your bring it buy it here. If you haven't measured your apartment and so t know how I have space you have you may want to wait and buy here once you know how much space you have.

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 2:49 am
You can get delivery and assembly online through IKEA Israel. You have to go to dror4u.co.il and enter the ikea website through them.

IKEA Israel is more expensive than other countries.

aquad

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 3:31 am
Do you already have your apartment/house? Are you buying or renting? Keep in mind that rooms in Israel are smaller, so standard American sized items may not fit (though you should be fine with bookshelves and a desk- its beds and couches that I would worry about). If you already have your apartment/house, and you are buying- ie not planning on leaving- than it makes sense to buy in the US and ship it (especially if you have a full lift anyway that you need to fill up, and not a partial lift where you are charged based on volume). If you don't have a place yet, or you are planning on renting, then it may not be worth it.

Be sure to pack air mattresses in your suitcases, so that you have a place to sleep when you arrive!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:50 pm
Thanks everyone, you've been super helpful!

My estimate was that we have 16ft of stuff to ship, so we were told we need a 20ft lift. That means that we can afford to stock up at Costco and add a few more extra things. We may end up being charged for being overweight, but I still think it's worth it.

Sorry, I don't think we'll have extra room to sell, because I already promised it to someone in my community.

Also, thanks for the reminder that I need to measure my sofa, and then ask the realtor to measure the doorway to the apartment!

anonimouse

Post Mon, Jun 01 2015, 6:17 pm
Riff wrote:
You can get delivery and assembly online through IKEA Israel. You have to go to dror4u.co.il and enter the ikea website through them.

IKEA Israel is more expensive than other countries.

Are you sure that IKEA is so much more expensive here? I'm asking this honestly, since I haven't made the comparison in a few years.

When I looked into it then, the prices were basically the same. They seemed higher at first glance, but then I realized that the American prices don't include tax and the Israeli ones do.

I would really look into it well before spending money to send things on a lift that can be bought here just as easily and for a similar price. The things I'm most thankful for having brought on our lift are the things that you can't really get here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions