Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Did you or DH go to medical school in ISRAEL?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 5:08 pm
If so, please post here. I am looking for info about what it is like. I am the OP who posted a while ago in non-Israel forum about DH wanting to go to medical school but I was afraid it would be too hard and expensive. We were considering Aliyah for other reasons and DH says medical school is less expensive and less grueling there. I need details. I know nothing about this, just that if medical school in the US seemed THAT hard I can't imagine it being easier enough in Israel to be doable. But I would like to hear from people who have been there, done that. Also would like to know what the life and salary of a medical resident is like.

Note we are looking at the medical schools that are geared toward English-speakers. There is one in Haifa and one in Tel Aviv and maybe one other, I believe.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:10 pm
less expensive? maybe

less greuling? I do not think so

easier to get accepted than US program? definitely

amother
Lime

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:18 pm
I know firsthand someone who went to the technion in haifa.

I know second hand somone who went to sackler in tel aviv.

If you would like their contact info, PM me.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:35 pm
I know someone who is now doing it in Israel.

it is very grueling. He has a long commute so they can live in an area that is American and not super expensive. He is gone all day and studies when not in school. It is very intense.

Schedule: The school I'm familiar with has a Schedule around yomim tovim so he is home yom tov, eruv yom tov and Friday which is helpful but semesters get cut up over yom tov so there may be a final immediately after Pesach which does build up stress, but at least Pesach is off. This also makes it difficult to travel out of the country for Yomim Tovim.

Cost: Cheaper then America but still very expensive. They have to come back when done because they will not be able to repay loans based on Israeli salaries.

If it is an American Program so coming back after is not a problem if you do it at the right time.

Even though it is easier to get in then schools in America it is still hard.

acccdac

Post Tue, May 26 2015, 11:37 pm
a relative of mine went to saklar.

they lived in ramat aviv with a group of other young couples and some single men, they were a family together, helped each other out.

internship was done in US he applied to hospitals in our home town. That year they lived half of the year in israel and half in US.

boards were taken in US (I could be remembering incorrectly but the tests that they were given by the school prepared them better for the boards than the testing system in the US)

PM me if you want more info

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:13 am
Lime amother, I would indeed like contact info but how can I message you?

Those who are opining on how much/little less expensive it is, do you have any numbers or know where I could get some?

Does anyone know what residency expectations/schedule/salary are like in Israel? There seems to be a lot of mention here about doing residency in US, is Israel an option as well? Obviously I am not looking to uproot my family multiple times if it can be avoided... if we make Aliyah it will be because we want to be in Israel.

Moving back due to debt, we need more numbers in order to know for sure, but should not be a big issue because we have some support in this venture. Not full coverage, but the debt won't be the full amount. In the US it would be too too much, but in Israel if the cost is lower then the support will go farther and we will be left with less debt. At least that is the hope... but if the pay is THAT much less that could also be an issue... I need more numbers and don't know where to get them Sad

I appreciate any information and leads that anyone can provide.

bruriyah

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:19 am
OP - I'm Lime amother, didn't realize I posted anonymous.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 12:46 am
amother wrote:

Those who are opining on how much/little less expensive it is, do you have any numbers or know where I could get some?

Does anyone know what residency expectations/schedule/salary are like in Israel? There seems to be a lot of mention here about doing residency in US, is Israel an option as well? Obviously I am not looking to uproot my family multiple times if it can be avoided... if we make Aliyah it will be because we want to be in Israel.

Moving back due to debt, we need more numbers in order to know for sure, but should not be a big issue because we have some support in this venture. Not full coverage, but the debt won't be the full amount. In the US it would be too too much, but in Israel if the cost is lower then the support will go farther and we will be left with less debt. At least that is the hope... but if the pay is THAT much less that could also be an issue... I need more numbers and don't know where to get them Sad

A couple of my relatives went there. I have one in school there now. Contact the YU for answers to your question. One relative who went there makes close to $1,000,000 a year so it depends on your specialty.

As others have said it is easier to get in. Once someone goes out of the country for med school getting back into the US is tough. The grads have an easier time then from other foreign med schools.

I think the salaries of doctors in EY is much less than the US.

For what it is worth, I think your DH is headed in a good career path. I am glad you couldn't derail him.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 1:00 am
When you say contact the YU, do you mean Yeshiva University? Just seeking clarification because I don't know another YU but also didn't know they had anything to do with Israeli med school admissions or whatever Confused

I'm assuming the relative making $1,000,000 is working in the US or something now Tongue Out

It's nice of you to be so happy for my DH. You're welcome to come here and raise his family alone with no father and almost no income for 8 years. I think being a doctor would be just lovely but that doesn't mean I can wave my wand and make it happen.

ora_43

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:32 am
Med school and residency is very grueling here, like anywhere. I think residency may be even harder - I'm not sure what the hours are in the states, but here residents can be doing 30-hour shifts. That includes on Shabbatot and chagim. The pay is just over 30 shekels an hour IIRC. It comes out to a decent monthly salary, but only because residents work like 80 hours a week.

I don't know if schools here are easier to get into than schools in the states. I know that here they have a reputation of being very hard to get into, and several people I know went abroad for med school (to Europe) despite being smart people with good grades. The final exam is very very hard and many people have to take it multiple times.

It might be easier financially to do it here just because cost of living might be lower. Yeshiva tuition and housing in a frum neighborhood might be more affordable. OTOH, trying to do everything in a foreign environment could make your life harder. Having a spouse in med school is stressful, immigration is stressful, moving kids to new schools is stressful - that could be a lot of stresses all at once. Being alone at home could be too much to handle when coupled with being in a new community. I'm not trying to scare you off, just food for thought.

If you have more specific questions I'm happy to ask people I know. I know several people who are doing residency here in Israel, although only 2-3 actually did med school here too. I also know spouses of doctors, if you want to hear it from their POV (overall, I think some would say "it's hard but doable" and some would say "DON'T DO IT").

ora_43

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:35 am
According to the Technion website, tuition is just under $30,000 a year. Registration is right now. Like, ends this week.

FWIW I've heard good things about the frum community on the Technion campus. Everyone is dealing with the stress of having a spouse learning some crazy hard field, so there's more support. This is just what I've heard from friends who learned there, not from personal experience.

luppamom

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 3:57 am
amother wrote:

I'm really not sure about this, but I know that BAs and MAs paid by the State of Israel are a benefit for making aliya. I, for example, could get a Masters degree w/ no cost. I have no idea if that applies to an oleh who wants to become a MD. I think it's worth asking NBN.

My DH is in school in Israel. He is not in medical school, but is another very intense program. FWIW, I've noticed that he has a lot of class and a lot of HW. But, he's usually off on Friday and can help me if he doesn't have any HW that is due (or he helps me when taking breaks from the HW). He is also off the entire Pesach and Succos and other Chagim. He gets a break in the summer from after Tisha B'av until Succos. He might take more classes then or he might get an internship/job.

I don't want to write too many personal details on here and I'm not sure if I am such a help b/c DH is in a different field, but you're welcome to PM me.

One thing is that it's definitely tough wherever you go. I didn't read your other thread, but I wish you both hatzlacha.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
When you say contact the YU, do you mean Yeshiva University? Just seeking clarification because I don't know another YU but also didn't know they had anything to do with Israeli med school admissions or whatever Confused

I'm assuming the relative making $1,000,000 is working in the US or something now Tongue Out

It's nice of you to be so happy for my DH. You're welcome to come here and raise his family alone with no father and almost no income for 8 years. I think being a doctor would be just lovely but that doesn't mean I can wave my wand and make it happen.

I thought it was part of YU. It is for permanent residents of the US and Canada.
While the program is grueling my relative who is there has time to travel. The income is in the US.

I am also happy for you because when someone is that determined and a spouse stands in the way, something is going to implode. I hope you have a lovely life. I would gladly help you out and foster your kids. I have a large empty house.

Program costs $37,000 a year just for tuition. First year residents make $58,000.

Iymnok

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:34 am
I don't know first hand, but I've heard that the Israeli and American programs are identical, but the American is costlier. I'd check it out, see if the credits match up and what not.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:45 am
I think saklar is about $35K.

[My relative who is there is getting 0 support so they will probably be coming back with close to $220K in debt after 4 years, which isn't that much worse then medical school in America] .

PAMOM

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 9:55 am
No connection to YU but Sackler is chartered by New York State. That means it does NOT get treated as a foreign medical school for purposes of getting positions in residency programs in the US. However, it does mean that a graduate like your husband would be can't stay in Israel for a residency. The program is designed to send graduates back to the US. I don't know about the others you mentioned. So yes, you'd have to come back to the US.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 7:54 pm
My close friend got accepted to a med school in Israel but choose to attend one in the US instead. Expense was an issue (she has 4 children at home). Once she graduates (and concludes her residency) she will be working in rural medicine and as a consequence her the cost of her education will be forgiven after 4 years under the PPACA. Not a bad deal.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 10:05 pm
PAMOM wrote:
No connection to YU but Sackler is chartered by New York State. That means it does NOT get treated as a foreign medical school for purposes of getting positions in residency programs in the US.

It sounds like OP wants to stay in Israel permanently so what I am about to say is not for her, but rather for anyone else who digs up this thread searching for information. These programs may be chartered by NY or another state int he U.S, and therefore graduates may have an easier time in terms of licensing than a foreign grad however residency programs absolutely DO NOT count them the same as american medical grads when considering applicants for residency positions. It is known that it is easier to get into and therefore not placed on the same level in terms of residency consideration. Students from these programs who want a U.S. residency should do as much clinical work as possible int he U.S. at places they would like to attend for residency and try to get recommendations and make themselves known to program directors. Students who do so have a great chance of getting a good residency but it is not as easy as for a grad from a U.S. program and some snooty programs may not consider them. I have friends who did really well (although their choices were limited and not "top tier" programs) and went on to great careers and fellowships. I also know people who had even one slip up - sub par score on the USMLE etc. who did far worse (not obtaining a residency for example) than their counterparts in U.S> based schools with similar slip ups.

The NY charter is an advantage compared to other foreign schools, however it does not make them equal to U.S. based schools.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 10:17 pm
Thanks for the info. Even though ideally our wish is to stay in Israel, this is still good to know. ANY and ALL information about becoming a doctor in Israel is greatly appreciated!

MagentaYenta, do you know more about this PPACA? (googling in background...) Of course that might mean we need to choose between doctor or Israel but maybe it's an option to consider. Do you need to first pay it out on your own, go into debt, and then have the debt forgiven? Sounds a little risky but interesting idea! How rural does it need to be?

What does it mean for the school to be chartered by NY?

Technion is under consideration, anyone know about that specifically?

I would really like to hear about the expenses and expectations of day-to-day life as a student, resident, and graduate of any of the medical schools in Israel. Networking is so hard...

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, May 27 2015, 10:43 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the info. Even though ideally our wish is to stay in Israel, this is still good to know. ANY and ALL information about becoming a doctor in Israel is greatly appreciated!

MagentaYenta, do you know more about this PPACA? (googling in background...) Of course that might mean we need to choose between doctor or Israel but maybe it's an option to consider. Do you need to first pay it out on your own, go into debt, and then have the debt forgiven? Sounds a little risky but interesting idea! How rural does it need to be?

What does it mean for the school to be chartered by NY?

Technion is under consideration, anyone know about that specifically?

I would really like to hear about the expenses and expectations of day-to-day life as a student, resident, and graduate of any of the medical schools in Israel. Networking is so hard...

It's my understanding that you have to sign a commitment/contract at the time you start school. I'm not sure if it covers private student loans. After graduation you get deferral based on your commitment and service areas. Service areas include underserved populations, inner city, public health service, rural medical practice, Indian Reservations. The rural medical practice is one of the oldest vehicles for getting a free medical education here in the US, it predates the PPACA by almost a half century, but is one of the included practice areas. The actual rural areas are outlined in the commitment documents and available prior to signing.

ETA: It is the individuals job to seek out jobs in those areas and apply and interview for them. The Federal govt. does not provide a placement service, but most med schools assist with placement.

BTW I may be wrong about the 4 yr commitment. I've sent my pal a text so I'll post the the actual number of years later. The fact remains even if you have to serve 10years it's still a bargain.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions